• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by wire.artist
    mmm I don't know I kinda liked it.

I need to see UP asap, last animation film I watched was Ponyo and it was awesome.
    I thought it was just typical run of the mill tired teenage gus van sant.

UP is awesome!!! I took my daughter to see it on the opening day - we had a blast.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dropt
      • May 2009

xxxxx
      Last edited by Dropt; 09-09-2012, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• mass
        • Sep 2006

going through the suzuki's taisho trilogy again, watching zigeunerweisen

Comment

• Jorge Hache
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Dropt View Post
          Nowadays, i show my friends Tarkovski's movies. So i'm viewing again Stalker, Solyaris, Andrei Roublov. There's always something to find in these movies, it can be technical, or philosophical, even after many viewings.

What's astonished about Tarkovski, it's that he puts a scene, boring as possible. Then he invented a sort of mythology around it, to makes it special in your mind. And it works.

I also recommend the reading of his book, Le temps scellé (in french, i don't know the english title). It's gold. The guy had a point of view on the universe which is very true. On the cinema too, as a place where people are going to search for some factual, lost time.

Totally recommend you Ivan's Childhood, Tarkovski's "opera prima", a beautiful black and white movie about the war from the point of view of a child, may be not a classic as the ones you mentioned but my personal favourite (criterion collection has a great transfer of the movie)

Comment

• Diego
            • Aug 2007

Today at the office: Peter Jackson's Meet the feebles and Bolex brothers' Saint inspector.

Comment

• KM80
              • Mar 2008

I finally managed to watch all of Die Nibelungen on the weekend. It was definitely worth however many hours it took, truly epic across the board.

Comment

• deius
                • Jul 2009

Man Bites Dog - Belgian black comedy/mockumentary about a hitman. Black as anything, worth a look. Although I think I missed a lot of the subleties, apparently much of the humour is only understandable from a French perspective (i.e. their stereotypes of Belgians and the language).

I'm a massive Tarkovsky fan, the English title of the book Dropt mentioned is "Sculpting in Time" which I haven't read but sounds insightful.

Also try Voroznoi (The Sacrifice), a brilliant Russian drama which is a huge Tarkovsky homage, but a great movie in its own right.

Comment

• Dropt
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by gutpocho View Post
                  Totally recommend you Ivan's Childhood, Tarkovski's "opera prima", a beautiful black and white movie about the war from the point of view of a child, may be not a classic as the ones you mentioned but my personal favourite (criterion collection has a great transfer of the movie)
                  I'll surely check, thanks. Actually, i was thinking about taking the whole filomgraphy of the man, he deserves it.

Comment

• galia
                    • Jun 2009

Oh I love man bites dog, but I'm not sure it can translate in another language at all

still the main plot is understandable enough

Comment

• KM80
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by galia View Post
                      Oh I love man bites dog, but I'm not sure it can translate in another language at all

still the main plot is understandable enough
                      I think it works (english sub watcher here). I haven't seen it for years, but I remember liking it so much I watched it twice right away. I keep meaning to watch it again.

Comment

• nycd
                        • Oct 2006

ahh - meet the feebles - muppet movies were never the same afterwards...

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                        Today at the office: Peter Jackson's Meet the feebles and Bolex brothers' Saint inspector.

Comment

• Jorge Hache
                          • Sep 2006

Love Man Bites Dog, saw it the weekend with my fiancee (she's fluent in french) and explain me some stuff that i didn't get before, was a great-romantic-rainy saturday afternoon. ;)

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Palindromes. There is sick, then there is Neil LaBute sick, and then there is Todd Solondz sick. He must be one twisted fucking bastard.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
                              • Jun 2009

I dig the Poolevorde love on this forum

I also forgot to second the Ivan's Childhood recomendation, it's an extremely beautiful movie

Comment

• swami
                                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                Palindromes. There is sick, then there is Neil LaBute sick, and then there is Todd Solondz sick. He must be one twisted fucking bastard.
                                Agreed ! I remember watching Happiness & though I dont remember the details , I have vague memories of being amazed and depressed at the same time. Welcome To The Dollhouse was excellent too! just added Palindromes to me Netflix queue, which has been staggering lately.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎