Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deius
    • Jul 2009

I watched this last night and was quite impressed, but not overwhelmed. In many ways it was the simple chemistry between the two leads and the cinematography that I enjoyed, not the postmodern aspects or the experimentation. Very clever, and imaginative, but certain jarring aspects (e.g. the abrupt plot changes, the poetry) took away my enjoyment, even if this was the exact point.

Of course, I can appreciate its importance as a technical exercise and in context of the new wave movement as a whole, but not as a narrative film.
    Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Well, there are some wonderful Soviet films, but I could probably not count more than a dozen. And post-Soviet cinema is a concise history of FAIL. I can only think of one decent film, Brat. Idiot was not bad, but it wasn't good either. Burned by the sun, ehh.. 12, ehh... I hate Mihalkov. Master and Margarita was horrible.
    Try: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376968/

Comment

• Fade to Black
      • Sep 2008

Inglourious Basterds...was pretty much a grindhouse flick. Although seeing Hitler get blown to literally bits was pretty satisfying
      www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• kompressorkev
        • Dec 2006

Well, there are some wonderful Soviet films
        Volga Volga?

Comment

• Jorge Hache
          • Sep 2006

I really like the Aleksandr Sokúrov films i've seen

Comment

• Oldboy
            • Aug 2008

Funny Games (1997) - One of the most fucked up and disturbing films I have ever seen. Brilliant social commentary on media violence. After seeing this and Cache, Haneke has become a new favorite of mine.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kompressorkev View Post
              Volga Volga?
              LOL. Yea, that one is a classic.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
                • Sep 2006

which i'm watching again today, maybe

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

/\ wait, there is a version with English subtitles? Anyway you could get it for me? I've wanted to show this film to an American friend of mine forever, but I can't find a version with the subtitles. Have you read the book, H? It's fantastic.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
                    • Sep 2006

/\ wait, there is a version with English subtitles? Anyway you could get it for me? I've wanted to show this film to an American friend of mine forever, but I can't find a version with the subtitles. Have you read the book, H? It's fantastic.
                    yes, my version has english subs. i'll get it to you tomorrow when sober

but nope have not read the book

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Thanks! The book is a must!!!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mamaboy
                        • Mar 2008

did anybody looked at brad pitt outfit in "ingloriuos basterds" ? paul harden?... but he got too much musle
                        but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• mamaboy
                          • Mar 2008

"ingloriuos basterds " weakest tarantino movie....u read subtitles most of the time (its in french...and german)....too much talking,talking,talking....but Landa character,romeo and juliet shootout in projectionist boot,and girls face on smoke clouds priceless.....so much poetry....and the best hitler ever....i actually liked him...."i like hitler"--only after tarantino movie
                          but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

From the New Yorker review, "Tarantion has become an embarrassment." I concur. I am going to watch Pulp Fiction now.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                              • Sep 2008

Yeah, that was definitely Tarantino's weakest full length picture (Death Proof was worse, but I don't really count that as more than a for-fun exercise). Surprised at the rave reviews and huge opening box office the film got...I had a feeling the film was either gonna tank or open to a huge first week but then take a steep dip.

Melanie Laurent was pretty hot during the Bowie sequence though
                              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Rave reviews where? It got trashed in the American media.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎