X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post
    Did you like the film? This woman consistently makes biopics that look nice but amount to nothing more than big budget daytime tv movies, so I didn't see it. I find her too annoying as a director
    It was a big budget daytime movie biopic. Like cinéma de qualité after the fact coupled with tackling the global market. I sorta, maybe, liked Poelvoorde.
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

^ of course you did,
      he's ttly your type!
      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• maldoror
        • Jun 2007

^ nice!

I've been on a serious horror kick as well of late, revisiting a lot of italian greats (and not so greats) for the first time in years.

last night:

tonight:

Comment

• Servo2000
          • Oct 2006

Also curious if anyone saw World's Greatest Dad? I really enjoyed it but even as much as I love a dark comedy I almost frequently hesitated to call it that - the music and timing and colors were all there saying 'it's okay - we know it's dark but it's funny, too!' when half the time it was quite sickening. I like to assume that was the intention but I'm not so sure - hard to tell with goldthwait.
          WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• todestrieb
            • Mar 2009

Lads, horror has only one name and he speaks Brazilian Portuguese

Comment

• maldoror
              • Jun 2007

argento's descent into dotage is one of the great tragedies of cinema.

Originally posted by corsair sanglot
              short night of glass dolls! i have weird memories of that one. but it was good! i like how all of the plots of the mid-tier gialli i've seen in my life kind of blend together.
              such a weird one! totally forgot how insane the ending is.

I wish it was easier to identify the curios of the genre (where's the definitive "bizarre gialli" list?) but I guess half the joy comes with the surprise of stumbling upon a SNoGD or Death Laid an Egg unawares.

Comment

• mass
                • Sep 2006

i just stick to anything with marina malfatti, or edwige fenech, or barbara bouchet, or erica blanc, or...

Comment

• Dropt
                  • May 2009

His earlier short movies are one of his best works for me.

The grandmother is for instance a fucking masterpiece.
                  On the other hand, Inland empire kinda suck, too clutter.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  Yea, no problems with most of his films - really love them. Again, later work more than earlier work. I could do without watching Blue Velvet ever again, but The Lost Highway and Mullholand Drive I could watch over and over.

Comment

• galia
                    • Jun 2009

I strongly recomend that every single member of this forum watch Euphoria by Ivan Viripaev, especially those who are partial to Andrew Wyeth. One of the most beautiful films I have ever seen...

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                      • Feb 2009

I have a DVD copy of it, i.e. Eyforiya – the all-Russian version without subtitling. I guess it's a pretty silent and pretty visual film – do I need subtitles? I've understood a line as: "We shouldn't talk so much..."

Comment

• ose
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by MASUGNEN View Post
                        I have a DVD copy of it, i.e. Eyforiya – the all-Russian version without subtitling. I guess it's a pretty silent and pretty visual film – do I need subtitles? I've understood a line as: "We shouldn't talk so much..."
                        you don't need to understand the dialogue to understand why the plot of the film develops and concludes the way it does, the visuals and the music will do that for you. been a while since i saw it but that's how i remember it, the landscapes merged with the music created such a unified and powerful sense of doom the few bits of dialogue there were felt rather... trivial. the tragedy is a much more emotional one when words are left to a minimum. a beautiful film

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                          • Feb 2009

I trust a Stalker. Thanks Ose! I'll watch it soon.

Comment

• todestrieb
                            • Mar 2009

The Coffin Joe addiction is a kick that just wouldn't die...

Comment

• Fade to Black
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Dropt View Post
                              His earlier short movies are one of his best works for me.
                              I've recently discovered these on the 'Tube, they are very good. Now that's what short films should feel like.
                              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• galia
                                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by ose View Post
                                you don't need to understand the dialogue to understand why the plot of the film develops and concludes the way it does, the visuals and the music will do that for you. been a while since i saw it but that's how i remember it, the landscapes merged with the music created such a unified and powerful sense of doom the few bits of dialogue there were felt rather... trivial. the tragedy is a much more emotional one when words are left to a minimum. a beautiful film
                                Yeah, I could understand all of the dialogue (except for the girl who talks with her mouth full), but you definately don't need to understand it. You'd probably miss some of the details of the relationships between the characters, but the core of the story remains understandable

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎