• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
    ^ of course you did,
    he's ttly your type!
    Well he's usually hilarious but he was pretty good in that more serious role. Or did you mean the character?
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
      Well he's usually hilarious but he was pretty good in that more serious role. Or did you mean the character?
      the character, bien sรปr, don't you agree?
      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• maldoror
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by corsair sanglot
        yeah, it's funny. you think titles would maybe be a good indicator but then something like your vice is a locked room and only i have the key is kind of generic/formulaic (but still really enjoyable ... probably because of edwige).
        I actually rather like your vice..., but then I'm a sucker for pretty much anything martino (or edwige )

also, probably the best title of any movie regardless of genre, or second only to:

Comment

• Aleks
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by maldoror View Post
          video
          sorry to stray from the general topic here, but that car in the beginning of that video you posted is amazing, I need to know what it is.

Comment

• klangspiel
            • Apr 2007

one of my favourite films of all-time.
            yuri ilyenko's a spring for the thirsty.

Comment

• rocknrollnigger
              • Jan 2009

The originator of mainstream-downstream in Frenzy

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                • Feb 2009

Didn't Poell do that Hitchcock thing in F/W '05 Milan?

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by MASUGNEN View Post
                  Didn't Poell do that Hitchcock thing in F/W '05 Milan?
                  That's exactly what the guy in the post above yours said.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    That's exactly what the guy in the post above yours said.
                    Sorry, I didn't realize Mainstreamโ€“Downstream was the show's/collection's name...

Comment

• klangspiel
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MASUGNEN View Post
                      How come you prefer Sokurov – the discipel – to Tarkovsky – the master? I find Sokurov foremost a unique aesthetician and a durรฉe rรฉelle-configurator.I love his work and his attitude. However, I find Tarkovsky's deep-sight in the human soul unparallelled.
                      i don't prefer one to the other.
                      love both with equal amounts of giddy veneration :).
                      i hardly think one is the disciple to the other's mentor but this is understandable due to what may seem like shared similarities in their respective approaches to cinema. they may seem similar in terms of style, aesthetic and subject matter but that owes more to the idiomatic nature of soviet and russian cinema as a whole (but specifically one that veers towards the poetic and lyrical), historically and culturally, mainly since dovzhenko, than just tarkovsky. tarkovsky was obviously a key figure in writing that idiom but so did the likes of paradjanov, abuladze, ilyenko, shepitko, klimov, just to name a few.

sokurov and tarkovsky are very different in a number of respects. one of which is, since you brought it up, their treatment of the "human soul" or the human condition. without going into much length, i doubt tarkovsky would've been interested in tackling something like "abject loneliness" or "severe isolation" or "unbridled tenderness", particularly on its own or as a core, in the way sokurov has. even if he were to be interested, he'd have done it very differently with different means to achieve what may appear to be similar ends. there is something intensely subtractive in the way sokurov approaches his subject matter. he's almost always trying to strip away everything in order to reach what might be its essence, say, the essense of "isolation"; whereas tarkovsky is too much of a "symbolist" to bother with any of that.

also, tarkovsky is perhaps relatively more of a "romantic" than sokurov. in the sense that the human condition is always in some form of relationship or strongly bound up with "transcendence" (or what is presumably "outside" of the human) either towards, say, Nature or something enigmatically theistic or even another human condition beyond the condition that one is already presently entrenched in. sokurov might also be interested in "transcendence" but it's significantly less clear what it might be, or how it relates to the human condition. perhaps he's going for something relatively simpler or that for him, the condition that presages any "transcendence" is far grimmer and depressing, at least in so far as his early films leading up to mother and son are concerned.

Originally posted by corsair sanglot
                      in paris next month: pedro costa
                      i may very well see them all.
                      fantastic. looks very comprehensive - much better than the costa retrospective we had here in melbourne a couple of months back. i'd see them all. it's not every day that one has the opportunity to view his films in 35mm prints.

Comment

• Staton Viguier
                        • Jan 2008

i love it how the female protagonist is precipitously killed towards the end of the credits, almost as an afterthought
                        shockingly bad english overdub too

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

seeing Natural Born Killers for the first time tonight.
                          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

/\ nothing like it.

Watched Gomorra yesterday. Sick.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                              • Sep 2008

just watched it, those were some of the fastest 2 hours gone by in front of a screen...whole jailbreak/Downey Jr. finale was a blast especially culminating in Anthem tearing down the warden
                              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• maldoror
                                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Staton Viguier View Post

i love it how the female protagonist is precipitously killed towards the end of the credits, almost as an afterthought
                                shockingly bad english overdub too
                                no amount of heavy metal can save the near bloodless motorcycle katana massacre

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎