• Apr 2009

Andrzej Zulawski's "Possession"
    what a great film
    really into adjani's acting in possession

Comment

• Jorge Hache
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by corsair sanglot
      tarrafal/casa de lava, preceded by a dialogue with pedro costa.

really enjoyed the peek into his process, and the desire to make things smaller and smaller. talked quite a bit about his love of jacques tourneur, classic american cinema and robert desnos as well.

enjoyed tarrafal, wasn't too keen on casa de lava. costa himself described it as 'desastreux', although i wouldn't quite go that far. i would have probably liked it more if i had gone in with no prior knowledge of his work, you know? still psyched about screenings of juventude em marcha and no quarto da vanda in coming weeks, especially after seeing the first sequence from the latter tonight.
      Both are my favourite Costa's films, i'm very excited for them being realease by the criterion collection along with Ossos, another great one.
      http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/704

Comment

• Enaml
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by wearejuststardust View Post

Andrzej Zulawski's "Possession"
        what a great film
        really into adjani's acting in possession
        Great film. I think someone might have recommended it here before. The miscarriage scene is... disturbing.
        How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

• Servo2000
          • Oct 2006

i watched it earlier while i was on a brief sam neill kick - still trying to watch Ace of Spies. he's also got me excited for Daybreakers even though I really shouldn't be.
          WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by klangspiel View Post
            indeed rohmer has passed. i caught his last film a few years back.
            an adaptation of honoré d'urfé's l'astrée. sumptuous film. i was distracted by the male protagonist's brown messenger bag most of the time though

i don't believe it's out on dvd yet. saw it when it was making its film festival rounds, specifically @ melbourne film festival, two years ago. pretty certain it screened at the sydney film festival as well. jia's a very fine filmmaker. i tend to prefer his earlier films. they have more rawness and grain when compared to his more recent output.
            I liked triple agents, but then the thematic would certainly charm me. It's his second to last, right?
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by deius View Post

Le Souffle au Coeur (A Murmur of the Heart)
              Clever observations on bourgeois life, classic coming of age ingredients, and a story that is ultimately uplifting despite its dark content. Hard to believe Malle also directed Lift to the Scaffolds, the only thing they have in common is the jazz soundtrack. (Miles Davis' OST for Ascensceur is obligatory midnight listening)
              That's actually perfect considering Jazz went from the creative vanguard of music to some dead, academic bourgeois art, paralleling Malle's trajectory.

Actually I'm bullshitting because I like a lot of his later films (Atlantic city, my dinner with André, Milou en mai).
              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• wearejuststardust
                • Apr 2009

J'ai tué ma mère/I Killed My Mother

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

just watched The Hurt Locker, fucking incredible. The film's name takes on a poetic meaning after the ending, which I found profoundly sad.
                  www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• sam_tem
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by deius View Post
                    Le Souffle au Coeur (A Murmur of the Heart)
                    Clever observations on bourgeois life, classic coming of age ingredients, and a story that is ultimately uplifting despite its dark content. Hard to believe Malle also directed Lift to the Scaffolds, the only thing they have in common is the jazz soundtrack. (Miles Davis' OST for Ascensceur is obligatory midnight listening)
                    i just saw this for the first time last week. i love malle, but i wish he would have had more ambition cuz he seems like he had the ability to make some truly classic movies or at least make a constant string of solid movies like rohmer.

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                      • Feb 2009

Rohmer was great, the most intelligent of all filmmakers I've experienced. The Season suite is highly thought-provoking and quadrolaterally cross-fertilized. You also have to love his approach to cinema, with the pseudonym, the initial maskings in official industri milieus. He didn't want his mother to know he was into the movies.

Comment

• genevieveryoko
                        • Sep 2009

I watched Christiane F last night...and I must say it was quite well done, I think I will rewatch parts of it again tonight. I particularly appreciated the opening lines and the first few scenes...
                        http://genevievelarson.tumblr.com/

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                          • Feb 2009

Christiane F. Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo rips my heart out every time I see it. Mandatorily viewed in high-school it set out to prevent us teen kids from drug use. We were sick for days. I've not hardened on this flick, seeing it two, three times after that original school screening. The subject-matter is so real and devastating.

Of course, you can watch it solely for BRD 80's kitch aesthestics – or David Bowie's masterly sensitive soundtrack.

Comment

• klangspiel
                            • Apr 2007

Comment

• KM80
                              • Mar 2008

Has anybody gone to see the Passion Project? It's coming to Vancouver soon and I'm just trying to decide if I want to go see that or the Passion of Joan of Arc with an orchestra... I'm leaning to the Passion Project so far.

Also for Vancouverites they are playing the Antichrist and Day of Wrath at the Vancity Theatre this weekend.

Comment

• MASUGNEN
                                • Feb 2009

I've only seen one flick of Chantal Akerman, Jour et nuit.

It was definately not as good as I wished – perhaps not good at all. What I hoped to be a feministic inversion of Le mamain et la putain was a mere bore. Bad cinematography, a disturbing voice-over. Some funny-looking early 90's clothing aesthetics though.

Interested in Akerman ethos, I've furthermore only seen a few of her video installments – a package of short intersecting videos. They were somewhat alluring, but I guess pointless. I'll probably let her go off my hook.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎