Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

jodorowsky is a comic book artist, he makes nice panels. Not sure how I feel about his films cause I kinda think he needs a brush and he has a camera.
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by wire.artist
      jodorowsky does the writing in his comic books, it was moebius who did the most most famous artworks. They were a dream team indeed.
      Maybe he has done some drawings at some point that I'm unaware of, but he's known as a filmaker, writer, tarotist and thinker.

With Topor and Arrabal ( "fando y lys" was written by arrabal) he founded Panico group. Another hell of a dream team.
      Ok, I suck, you're right. Allow me to explain: he has the visual culture of an illustrator and when I see his films I feel like I'm not sure he is dealing with movement properly. Moebius is a master and, what's more, he can be hilarious with Gotlib.
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Enaml
        • Apr 2009

In a Halloween mood last night:

How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

• andrew
          • Sep 2009

El Topo is the preferred Jodo film for me but i agree that the first half hour or so of Holy Mountai is mesmerising. I watched a film he had done called the Rainbow Thief, not very good at all but i found out later that he made it with zero creative input and was threatened with being fired if he altered anything.

Have been meaning to find and watch Angst for ages, but all i know is that it was a big inspiration for Noe early on, is it worth while?

Comment

• MoFiya
            • Sep 2007

Made a bigger post before but I'm getting timeouts on SZ all day and the post didn't come through... Too bad.

So, I am still unsure wether I should give "El Topo" a try or not. Is it stylewise comparable to "Holy Mountain" or different after all?

I just saw Irréversible. Didn't like it.
            I have dreams of orca whales and owls
            But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Jonn
              • Mar 2008

el topo is less weird, has a better plot..i very much prefer it to holy mountain. the 2 parts go so seamlessly. and it has so much action! wish people made more western movies these days. i almost fell asleep watching holy mountain.

Comment

• klangspiel
                • Apr 2007

two relatively new filmmakers have piqued my interest lately. alexei popogrebsky and veiko ounpuu. these are perhaps names to look out for in the coming years. popogrebsky's most recent from this year, how i ended this summer, is quite a meditative and psychological exercise in desolation and isolation. inevitably he's been compared to tarkovsky not merely because they're both russian but their predilection for a minimal and glacially paced aesthetic seems almost kindred by cinematic lineage. the film's cinematography is some arresting stuff. breathtaking of remote landscapes at the outer reaches of humanity.

veiko ounpuu's temptation of st tony is another delightful "hit" for me this year. a film which i can only describe as a cinematic allegorisation of some of the very same vistas found in dante's divine comedy (notably inferno) coupled with a festering case of black / bleak absurdist (more ionesco / beckett than arrabal) humour reeking through. more stoic and urbane than graphically caustic or vulgar in delivery, but still bloody effective in tickling the strangest regions of one's funny bone and showing how fucked the world can be / is. it's visually a gorgeous film as well. aesthetically reminiscent of tarr's werckmeister harmonies and wenders' wings of desire. every shot is brimful of stunning details and symbolically dense with layers of meaning. the scene youtubed below is probably one of my favourites. the protagonist's dreamlike "descent" into a hedonistically underground nightclub, first encountering the magik markers (the guitar-drums duo) on stage followed by a memorable cameo from the inimitable denis lavant as an ominously sinister cabaret performer / emcee.

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
                Rainer Werner Fassbinder's "Welt am Draht" (World on a wire)
                great flick.
                saw it early this year in a finely restored 35mm print. picked up the dvd as well just a couple of weeks ago. should be a classic in the sci-fi canon and beyond.

Comment

• Servo2000
                  • Oct 2006

Pretty interesting.

edit: also

Last edited by Servo2000; 10-31-2010, 07:05 PM.
                  WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Fade to Black
                    • Sep 2008

just watched The Girl Who Played With Fire, I like it even better than the first one - the simultaneous narratives are more gripping and we care more for the characters this time around because it's the second and handled on a level of depth consistent with the first. It's an overall colder and harder film with less sentimentality compared to how the last one ended. The ending reminded me of Silence of the Lambs; it's definitely the most nailbitingly tense one since that.
                    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                      • Oct 2009

[QUOTE=Servo2000;269221]

Would love to see this but its not available at amazon atm.
                      Any leads to any links () would be much appreciated.
                      "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• Servo2000
                        • Oct 2006

Rented Phenomena from the school library - pretty crazy soundtrack! Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Goblin (of course) but also Andi Sexgang!
                        WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• MoFiya
                          • Sep 2007

Saw Machete yesterday. Had no expectations but that movie was hella funny I guess Rodriguez just did a DNA-scan of all the trash the masculine y-chromosome contains and transferred it to a movie. Perfect movie for adult kids. It's been a long time since such a superficial and obviously bad movie (in a good way) entertained me like this one (:
                          I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                          But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
                            Saw Machete yesterday. Had no expectations but that movie was hella funny I guess Rodriguez just did a DNA-scan of all the trash the masculine y-chromosome contains and transferred it to a movie. Perfect movie for adult kids. It's been a long time since such a superficial and obviously bad movie (in a good way) entertained me like this one (:
                            Thanks, thats exactly what I hoped it would be.
                            Gonna see it next week.

Did anybody see "I am love" and "Somewhere" yet?
                            "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

No Social Network discussion? I am sure many have seen it. Or are we too cool for school?
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• syed
                                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by TheNotoriousT View Post
                                Would love to see this but its not available at amazon atm.
                                Any leads to any links () would be much appreciated.
                                YouTube is your friend...ahem
                                "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎