Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • interman
    • Dec 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

Just finished watching Delicatessen, by the director of Amelie. Really strange movie (not surprising), but also interesting and funny.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user="interman"]Just finished watching Delicatessen, by the director of Amelie. Really strange movie (not surprising), but also interesting and funny.
      [/quote]</p>

Classic [Y] Watch City of Lost Children - that's even weirder.</p>

I tried watching Volver yesterday, but I fell asleep.</p>
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interman
        • Dec 2006

I actually really liked Volver, but I guess it was a bit long. Yesterday I watched The Science of Sleep, another semi-french movie that's if possible even weirder than Delicatessen.

Comment

• mass
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]<p class="MsoNormal"><b style=""><span style="" lang="EN-US">Amants réguliers, les (Regular
          lovers)/France/Philippe Garrel/2005: </span>[/b]<span style="" lang="EN-US">Semi-autobiographical story of lovers who meet
          during the «social revolution» of May 68 and later hang around with
          a bunch of disillusioned artistic youth in the luxurious apartment of a
          bourgeois friend.<o:p></o:p></span></p>[/quote]

i enjoyed this as well. i also enjoyed the dig at bertolucci!

funny you want to dress like him. i want to dress like bruno forestier.

Comment

• nairb49
            • Dec 2006

Er, slightly less "high brow", but went to watch Hot Fuzz last night. Pretty darn funny, if I may say so.

Comment

• interman
              • Dec 2006

Speaking of high brow movies, you guys should check out this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...readid=2460723

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Watched The Good Shepherd yesterday. I liked it a lot - a very strong film about formation of CIA, well acted, a lot of ambiguity (one of my favorite aspects).
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                  • Dec 2006

[quote user="Faust"]Watched The Good Shepherd yesterday. I liked it a lot - a very strong film about formation of CIA, well acted, a lot of ambiguity (one of my favorite aspects).
                  [/quote]<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Yea, I watched it for the second time yesterday and I liked it even more than the first time watching. I thought Damon was perfect for his character.</DIV>
                  "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• een
                    • Sep 2006

really feeling this: la collectionneuse (1967) by eric rohmer.</p>

not necessarily his best, nor my favorite, but..........very contemporary in its feel. if you don't know rohmer, there are probably better places to start, but this was a very pleasant surprise.</p>

</p><h1>
                    </h1>

</p><h1>
                    </h1><h1>
                    </h1>

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

<p class="MsoNormal"><b style=""><span style="" lang="EN-US">Manufactured landscapes/Baichwal/Canada/2006<o:p></o:p></span>[/b]</p>

<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="" lang="EN-US">Documentary
                      about TO photographer Edward Burtynsky who travels the world (the doc is mostly
                      set in </span><st1:country-region><st1:place><span style="" lang="EN-US">China</span></st1:place></st1:country-region><span style="" lang="EN-US">) photographing how large scale human activity
                      transforms the landscape. Burtynsky's settings are cyclopean industrial works
                      like dams and the biggest Chinese factories, where a disturbing beauty emerge,
                      unexpectedly making us reconsider and even re-contextualize what we were
                      looking at. Good stuff.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="" lang="EN-US"><o:p></o:p></span></p>

<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="" lang="EN-US">It?s better
                      to see it with friends, that way you can discuss the impact of filming another
                      artist?s work. Does it add an additional layer of meaning? Who is the ?author??
                      Photography might be a representation of reality but it doesn?t tell you
                      exactly where to look/what to see (that?s why press photography always has a
                      legend that tells you what is relevant) while the camera might film a
                      particular point of the picture and will put it in context, through narration
                      and previous events.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

I saw Paprika.
                        </p>

</p>
                        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

I saw Paprika.</P>

[/quote] </P>

Satoshi Kon is pretty good isn't he? I really liked Perfect Blue, I was at the festivalPremiere (or maybe the first time it was shown outside Japan?) and was blown away at the time, he made a Hitchccokian thriller using the medium of animation to make it more instead of less involving. Millenium actress was really good too and Paranoia Agent had it's moments (I think Servo is a fan)...</P>

What did you think of it?</P>
                          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I watched Letter's from Iwo Jima. For a film that's supposed to be very emotional, it left me cold. I did not think Ken Watanabe's acting was anything special - I don't know why critics raved about it.</p>

I hope to watch Venus tonight - I like Peter O'Toole. I like good old actors like him or Alan Arkin or Ian McKellen. There is something wise and peaceful about them, it's comforting - as if they know a secret, and the meaning of the secret is that everything is going to be all right.
                            </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

I'm supposed to watch letters from Iwo Jima soon, kinda disapointed to hear that....</P>

Low brow confession:I gave LA Confidential another viewing yesterday, I was surprisedat how enjoyable this movies could still be, definitely great popular entertainment.</P>

Comment

• mass
                                • Sep 2006

i really like la confidential. i always use it as an example when people say i hate all russell crowe films or all kevin spacey films (even if i do).

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎