X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trentk
    • Oct 2010

has anyone seen this?
    "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• PoubelleMaBelle
      • Feb 2012

Seeing it tomorrow actually, will report back. Looks interesting though...and i'd watch it regardless if you have the chance. It's rare to find an art documentary that focuses on the actual processes of that art rather than some talk show bullshit.

[If you're interested in the territory i'd also recommend Jean-Pierre Gorin's Routine Pleasures, Chris Marker's A.K., and Pedro Costa's (separate) work on Straub/Huillet & Jeanne Balibar.]

Faust, you should definitely check out Consuming Spirits if/when it goes to limited release; sorry i didn't catch the post earlier...
      -----

Last edited by PoubelleMaBelle; 04-29-2012, 05:14 AM. Reason: sense

Comment

• mrbeuys
        • May 2008

Originally posted by lazyguru View Post
        Actually the only ones I really remember liking was CRASH ( the twisted sex flick) ...
        You liked Crash? That book is my bible and I am still waiting for someone to do it justice on film ( there's a BBC short from 1971, featuring JGB which is tons better than C's version ). Honestly think Cronenberg is overrated.
        Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• interest1
          • Nov 2008

page from a bible

sain't

Comment

• laughed
            • Jul 2009

A Dangerous Method was soooo boring & I wanted to smack Keira hard across her face every time she spoke in that horrible accent.

Cronenberg's follows up 1 decent movie with at least 2 bombs.
            Actually the only ones I really remember liking was CRASH ( the twisted sex flick) & Eastern promises
            i have this one but haven't watched it yet....honestly, i'm one of the people who think cronenberg hasn't made a single good movie. I still wonder how videodrome got the criterion treatment. as fas as keira - i think she's a great actor when she works with a decent script, director, cast, etc....never let me go is a fine example. (it's not a masterpiece or anything but a great movie)

Comment

• swami
              • Jul 2008

Never Let Me Go was a beautiful movie !
              had me in knots for days after

Though I think Carey & Andrew stole the show , they are both excellent actors with tons of promise. I dont mind Keira so much either :-)

RE:CRASH having not read the book or being unaware of the premise prior to watching , it blew my mind .. James Spader was pretty good in it. Think Iam going to rewatch ...
              Thanks for bringing it up

Comment

• MoFiya
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by laughed View Post
                i have this one but haven't watched it yet....honestly, i'm one of the people who think cronenberg hasn't made a single good movie. I still wonder how videodrome got the criterion treatment. as fas as keira - i think she's a great actor when she works with a decent script, director, cast, etc....never let me go is a fine example. (it's not a masterpiece or anything but a great movie)
                I agree, do not get the Cronenberg hype.
                I found most of his earlier movies entertaining and the effects were certainly outstanding (talking about Videodrome, The Fly, Scanners) ... however, as for his more recent movies, they all were a letdown.
                I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• mrbeuys
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by swami View Post

RE:CRASH having not read the book or being unaware of the premise prior to watching , it blew my mind .. James Spader was pretty good in it. Think Iam going to rewatch ...
                  Thanks for bringing it up
                  I can really only recommend reading the book. it's one of my favourite works of fiction and the film really doesn't do it justice.
                  And look for the BBC piece on YouTube. It's odd but very good.
                  Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

The Piano. Incredible.

Also don't care for cronenenberg.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laughed
                      • Jul 2009

Pedro Aguilera - Naufragio

Comment

• shah
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Avantster View Post
                        Once Upon a Time in Anatolia.
                        i watched this several months ago. i quite enjoyed it but upon reflection it was very slow. that's surprising because i was just captivated while watching it even though i felt nothing was really happening ! good movie

Comment

• curiouscharles
                          • Jan 2008

A Dangerous Method was soooo boring & I wanted to smack Keira hard across her face every time she spoke in that horrible accent.

Cronenberg's follows up 1 decent movie with at least 2 bombs.
                          Actually the only ones I really remember liking was CRASH ( the twisted sex flick) & Eastern promises
                          Did you actually manage to make it the whole way through? My partner & I gave up about fifteen minutes in...

-

Comment

• laughed
                            • Jul 2009

i downloaded it, and i sort of skipped around and watched maybe a combined 20 seconds, just scanning the file, checking it out a little bit.
                            the 20 seconds or so i watched have made it almost impossibile for me to burn the dvd and want to sit down and watch it. it looks downright dreadful. yes, i have bad memories when it comes to d.c. but geez...

Comment

• MoFiya
                              • Sep 2007

Saw The White Ribbon by Haneke yesterday... Was the first movie I watched by him and a really good one as well. But also, quite intense and disturbing. Highly recommended!
                              I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                              But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• droussin
                                • Oct 2011

oh on that note with Haneke being mentioned i recent saw The Piano Teacher. Isabelle Huppert was in top form and gave a really commanding performance and i would have to share your sentiments in my review. A brilliant film but deeply disturbed and intense, maybe more than whit. There are also a fair amount of parallels with the film Belle De Jour that are pretty interesting. I recommend it highly especially if you've seen his work prior as it's one of his best
                                what is black?
                                an absence, a presence, a mood, a mantle.
                                -Martin Margiela

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎