Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eleven crows
    • Mar 2011

Il tuo vizio è una stanza chiusa e solo io ne ho la chiave (Your vice is a virtue and only I have the key). I love giallo, horror, and sexploitation films. This is a combination of the three, and loosely based around an Edgar Allen Poe story. Essentially watchable just for Edwige Fenech.

Giallo (2009). Argento hasn't made a good film in years and this is no exception. Put on Suspiria or The Bird with the Crystal Plumage again, and forget this ever existed.

Comment

• sebastian
      • Feb 2009

Beautiful movie:

Comment

• bonejelly
        • Jul 2008

Just finished 'How Much Does Your Building Weigh, Mr Foster?". Great watch.

Also includes a familiar jacket worn by a Mr. Serra...

Comment

• eleven crows
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by copacetic
          lol. so sorry dude but you or someone else translated the italian incorrectly.

should be YOUR VICE IS A LOCKED ROOM AND ONLY I HAVE THE KEY.
          lmao. I don't even have copy pasting to blame on that.

Watched Demons aka Demoni (hopefully name is right this time) the other night. A horror classic. As soon as you see that motorbike and samurai sword in the lobby of the cinema, you're just waiting for someone to do the inevitable. Spoiler alert: It happens and it's glorious.

Comment

• Philipppp
            • Apr 2010

Comment

• Philipppp
              • Apr 2010

Comment

• Jan 2011

Originally posted by bonejelly View Post
                Just finished 'How Much Does Your Building Weigh, Mr Foster?". Great watch.

Also includes a familiar jacket worn by a Mr. Serra...

This was really inspiring. I'd love to find more architectural/art documentaries like this.

Comment

• LOVE
                  • Dec 2007

There's a really good/heartwarming doc called Herb and Dorothy that's on Netflix. Has anyone seen the Eames one? I keep wanting to watch it but it's by james franco which gross.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                    • Jan 2008

Vampyr(1932) dir. Carl TH. Dreyer

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                      • Jan 2008

Jeunet worked best with Caro, though I thought Amelie
                      was very good cinema, and I'm not very French.

Nothing like Dreyer though.
                      Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                      Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• kompressorkev
                        • Dec 2006

anyone catch this yet? currently at the IFC Center in NY.

Leviathan by Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Véréna Paravel, anthropologists-cum-directors at Harvard's "Sensory Ethnography Lab"

Comment

• BSR
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          /\ hear, hear. I am glad there are still practitioners of authentetics! Take that, BSR!

to be honest i don't really get the point of this thread. to me authenticity has to do with the author's intent and not with the content of his production. As always, I try to separate the two.

On a side note, I've recently read the long article that Foster Wallace wrote on Lynch, when he had been sent by Premiere on Lost Highway's set. What is funny is that he does not understand anything new about Lynch during his visit (he attends the shooting of various scenes, talks with most of the people working on the film, from producers to actors and technical staff...). His best insights regarding the meaning of Lynch's work (which are revealed at the end of the paper, after a very long sequence of funny anecdotes deprived of any theoretical interest) came from his careful vision of the movies, when he was a student.
                          pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                          Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Yeah, that was one of his weakest essays. Try his essay on postmodernist TV. (.PDF link)
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BSR
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by copacetic
                              i actually think his best insight into lynch comes near the beginning of the essay, when he asserts that lynch has invented a tone unto himself. i do agree that lynch was able to channel the zeitgeist of the 1990s into a coherent aesthetic.

i disagree that lynch films happen to us, and we cannot happen to a lynch film. the effects that he creates are subtle and sort of ineffable, but i think that you can still locate and origin of the tone that he imposes on the viewer, in the same way that faulkner or joyce appears opaque on the first encounter, but on repeated readings, the peculiar strategies become more and more apparent.

we're sort of wandering off-topic, but i posed myself a question just now. i wonder if kawakubo surpasses lynch as an artist by any measure. thoughts?
                              3 good points in his paper imo:
                              1) lynchian means 'irony of the banal', it is a major influence on the whole generation of tarantino etc.
                              2) the naive expressionist tone that accounts for the feeling one has that lynch's movies actually reveal something deeply true of the world...
                              3) ...despite the dynamics of his movies is not that the plots become clearer as they progress, on the contrary. they become more obscure (which is a good definition of what the fantastic genre is like, cf todorov, caillois...)

but he misses other structural features typical of Lynch like the taste for analogical constructions (which is the link between 2 and 3)

maybe we should move this conversation to the cinema thread ?
                              pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                              Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Jan 2011

Originally posted by LOVE View Post
                                There's a really good/heartwarming doc called Herb and Dorothy that's on Netflix. Has anyone seen the Eames one? I keep wanting to watch it but it's by james franco which gross.
                                Watched the Eames one the other night. My girlfriend said, "Is that James Franco narrating? Ew." I don't think he'd be very good narrating anything to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎