Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bring The Noise
    • Feb 2008

can anyone recommend a movie similar to chinatown? its probably my favourite movies of all time, but no neo noir ive seen so far even comes close

Comment

• partymonster
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bring The Noise View Post
      can anyone recommend a movie similar to chinatown? its probably my favourite movies of all time, but no neo noir ive seen so far even comes close
      Although its made 20 years later i would recommend L.A confidential as it has a similar feel and look to it. Plus its got an allstar cast with Kevin spacey, russell crowe...

Comment

• galia
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Finally saw Django Unchained. What a wast of time. Tarantino's worst movie by far. Everything he's made after Pulp Fiction has been subpar, but every one of the films still had flashes of Tarantino's brilliance, whether in dialogue or in cinematography. This had absolutely nothing.
        I just watched it as well. I never understood they tarantino hype... I mean his films are cool, but they're not great or anything. Some bits are funny, but I don't need to hear any of his one liners quoted at a party ever again. Having zero expectations about this movie, I actually found it pleasant to watch. Not super funny, and rather cringe-worthy at times, but it keeps a good fast pace and I didn't get bored half way through like I did with Jackie Brown. Maybe exhaustion has made me more accepting of mediocrity, but I don't think I'll ever watch it again to make sure.

Comment

• Resonkuken
          • Oct 2012

Watched "the proposition" the other day. The australian outback is impressive and this movie is a gem. Must watch.

Comment

• jackg
            • Oct 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed "The Proposition" when I watched it! Suitably dark and brooding. One of the better representations of the outback, the other one that springs to mind is "Wake In Fright"....... my recent viewing:

Comment

• exterminatingphantom
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Bring The Noise View Post
              You could always watch the hilariously unnecessary sequel to Chinatown directed by Jack Nicholson called The Two Jakes.

One of my favorites that I found very similar to Chinatown is "True Confessions" with Robert Duvall and Robert De Niro.

Speaking of Australian Outback, I saw a really wild hard to find Australian film called "Razorback" which was pretty awesome.

Comment

• jackg
                • Oct 2011

Ah yes Razorback is great! There are some real gems floating around from the ozploitation era.

re watched this and I had forgotten how much I liked it the first time round. Great mix of paranoia, drug addiction and the modern surveillance society, maybe even more appropriate post prism revelations. Also a big fan of cel shading especially in the days of super high definition perfect quality animation. Has a really visceral feel to it, reminds me of the hours I lost on XIII

Comment

• Resonkuken
                  • Oct 2012

I´m halfway through "Mishima: A life in four chapters". It had been a while since a movie had immerse like here, and which brings some topics I can (weirdly) relate so much. The photography is fantastic and the set design for the parts of his novels that are in between the images of his last day are simply gorgeous.
                  Since finding out about him I´ve wanted to read some of his work but it´s impossible to find in my city. Now after watching these dramatizations of his novels I´m gonna browse online and try to get one of them.

Comment

• Illithid Dude
                    • May 2013

On the opposite end of the movies generally talked about here, I just came back from a midnight showing of The Room. Many spoons were thrown.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I hope Elysium is as good as District 9
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MoFiya
                        • Sep 2007

Recently saw:

Holy Motors - nice movie. The main message was a bit too obvious throughout the movie but it still was very entertaining.

Searching for Sugar Man - highly recommended. Didn't like the typical american pathos at the end though but the overall story is nevertheless unbelievable.
                        I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                        But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Laconic
                          • Apr 2009

Does anyone here use the Cinematik tracker to download films? If so I would be infinitely grateful for an invite--have been trying to get in for ages.

Comment

• jackg
                            • Oct 2011

Recent viewing

I also watched "Only God Forgives" which I thought was absolutely awful! Anyone else have a similar experience?

Comment

• Tafkap
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
                              Recently saw:

Holy Motors - nice movie. The main message was a bit too obvious throughout the movie but it still was very entertaining.
                              The message I got seemed to make fun of americans and america, and terry richardson. Which was fine by me, because it is a beautiful looking movie. Great, great movie the first time i saw it, just weird the next couple viewings.

On that note, I purchased Amour and was absolutely blown away. It is easily one of the greatest masterpieces I have ever watched. I have scene all of Haneke's movies that are available to the public as well as the few that are on KG and this to me, along with The Piano Teacher is his best. With Tarr being retired I will have to say that he is my favorite living director. It's been a few weeks since I've seen it and I have since revisited all the Haneke's that I own and can't get him out of my mind. What a brilliant filmmaker and I highly recommend seeing it. (I know I'm a little late to this Amour party, but I had my doubts...boy was I wrong)

Comment

• bonejelly
                                • Jul 2008

Will be attending Ben River & Ben Russell's "A Spell To Ward Off the Darkness" this Saturday at the Toronto Film Festival.

Edit: Viewed this last night. Really great.
                                Last edited by bonejelly; 09-08-2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎