X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackg
    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Liquid View Post
    "The Pervert's Guide to Ideology" is now at IFC in new york, and in a bunch of other cities too. Check out a trailer to see if it's your thing.
    I have this sitting waiting for me on my computer! Just have to finish off my exams/thesis and then I am going to get stuck into it. I thoroughly enjoyed "the pervert's guide to cinema" so have been eagerly awaiting this one. Plus I loved Fiennes doco on Kiefer as well.

Thanks for recommendations darkbydesign/fuuma going to source of some Claire Denis films!

Comment

• jackg
      • Oct 2011

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jackg View Post
        Plus I loved Fiennes doco on Kiefer as well.

Just put this into my Netflix cue. Had no idea that there is a Kiefer doc. Hopefully will get to it Sunday night.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jackg
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Just put this into my Netflix cue. Had no idea that there is a Kiefer doc. Hopefully will get to it Sunday night.
          Its fantastic! well worth your time Faust.

Similar in style to the Teshigahara doco on Gaudi.

Comment

• snafu
            • Apr 2008

Watched '12 years a slave', really striking film, worth a watch.

Comment

• Glasshands
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by snafu View Post
              Watched '12 years a slave', really striking film, worth a watch.
              It's showing at the Brisbane International Film Festival on closing night, I'm going to see if I can find any of my friends who'd want to go and see it, Steve McQueen is such a brilliant director.

Comment

• jackg
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Glasshands View Post
                It's showing at the Brisbane International Film Festival on closing night, I'm going to see if I can find any of my friends who'd want to go and see it, Steve McQueen is such a brilliant director.
                I am also hanging out for it. I thought "Hunger" was one of the greatest directorial debuts I have ever seen. Still such a powerful and visceral film.

Comment

• Glasshands
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by jackg View Post
                  I am also hanging out for it. I thought "Hunger" was one of the greatest directorial debuts I have ever seen. Still such a powerful and visceral film.
                  Shame still sits in my list of top 10 films, absolutely gut wrenching in it's delivery. A display of emotional and social gore, with lasting impact. I remember losing interest in sex for a solid week after seeing it for the first time haha

Comment

• trentk
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Excellent choice. Not just because Kiefer is an interesting artist, but b/c the Ligeti soundtrack makes for some of the best moments of aural-visual synergy I've experienced.
                    "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• Jan 2011

This has some pretty stunning visuals in it, plus there's witchcraft and psychedelic mushrooms - how can anyone not like that?

Comment

• jackg
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by 888 View Post
                        This has some pretty stunning visuals in it, plus there's witchcraft and psychedelic mushrooms - how can anyone not like that?

I thoroughly enjoyed this one! and your are on the money it is visually incredible. also really amusing in parts. I had intended to look into wheatleys other films but never got around to it. have you seen any??

Comment

• Jan 2011

I didn't like his first film, but Kill List and Sightseers are both definitely worth tracking down.

Comment

• Glasshands
                            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by 888 View Post
                            I didn't like his first film, but Kill List and Sightseers are both definitely worth tracking down.
                            Kill List looks especially interesting, but then I suppose I'm quite used to British crime/social realism films, so when they seem a bit too tongue-in-cheek (Sightseers), I'm always a tiny bit reluctant! I'll check Kill List first, and if I'm particularly fond of the direction, I'll give National Lampoon's murder holiday a try.

Comment

• snafu
                              • Apr 2008

watched Claire Denis's Les salauds/bastards and enjoyed it, usual style, so what you would expect from her, Chocolat & 35 shots are still my favourite from her. But i had a soft spot for Les salauds after living in Paris this year and the Tindersticks soundtrack.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Worth watching. I still cannot formulate a judgement on whether I like her work or even performance art in general, but her rigor is certainly impressive.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎