X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

I thought Melancholia was his second weakest film after Antichrist. Pretty much each of his films are weaker than the one before. I expect Nympho will continue that pattern.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• flashoflight
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      I thought Melancholia was his second weakest film after Antichrist. Pretty much each of his films are weaker than the one before. I expect Nympho will continue that pattern.
      The friend I went with absolutely hated Melancholia. I on the other hand, couldn't get it out of my head for days.

What do you consider his strongest work?

Another movie that I can't wait for is The Grand Budapest Hotel. I've been excited for that since I first heard about it. Only a few more days now!

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by flashoflight View Post
        Anyone else here work in the VFX/Film industry?
        Yeah,

I used to work doing club visuals and commercial graphics packages because I couldn't get a Nuke compositing career and then I pretty much dropped my career due to all the problems in the industry right now. Although, TV was something I was considering for a while.
        Originally posted by unwashed
        Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
        Originally posted by Ahimsa
        I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• flashoflight
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
          Yeah,

I used to work doing club visuals and commercial graphics packages because I couldn't get a Nuke compositing career and then I pretty much dropped my career due to all the problems in the industry right now. Although, TV was something I was considering for a while.
          That's unfortunate to hear, sorry. I hope whatever you are doing now is enjoyable.

If you don't mind me asking, was it in Japan that you were trying to get a Nuke comping career going?

I really wish the industry was in a better state. There has been a lot of talk (and action to a small extent) happening recently towards some kind of change. More than it ever has from what I understand. Who knows how many years down the line something will change (if at all). But it would definitely be nice if it did.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

The friend I went with absolutely hated Melancholia. I on the other hand, couldn't get it out of my head for days.

What do you consider his strongest work?

Another movie that I can't wait for is The Grand Budapest Hotel. I've been excited for that since I first heard about it. Only a few more days now!
            Breaking the Waves. Actually, I should watch that again, it's been so long.
            But to be honest - and I've said that before - as I mature I start finding that there is something juvenilely self-indulgent in all of his films.

At the time of their coming out, Dancer in the Dark and Dogville have left immense impression on me. These days, however, I have very little patience for wallowing in bleakness (not to be confused with acknowledging the bleakness).
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mrbeuys
              • May 2008

Just got round to watching some more films and came to the conclusion that this really must be one of the weakest awards seasons in recent memory. A notable exception for me was La vie d'Adèle which I found quite beautiful. Dallas buyers club was good as was Filth. That was about it for me. As I had run out of films to watch I popped in the counsellor last night - what a train wreck of a movie. I hope Scott won't make Bladerunner 2. Or anything really.
              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                Just got round to watching some more films and came to the conclusion that this really must be one of the weakest awards seasons in recent memory. A notable exception for me was La vie d'Adèle which I found quite beautiful. Dallas buyers club was good as was Filth. That was about it for me. As I had run out of films to watch I popped in the counsellor last night - what a train wreck of a movie. I hope Scott won't make Bladerunner 2. Or anything really.
                This guy is such an enigma. He can make the best film and then the worst one right after. There is a filter missing somewhere, but I don't know which part of his brain malfunctions.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mrbeuys
                  • May 2008

I mean, I really want to be a fan of his, mainly due to Alien and Bladerunner, but it's been far more miss than hit since 1982. What have we got on the plus side... Thelma & Louise, maybe Black Hawk Down, fuck I am clutching at straws already. I mean, he made GI Jane. Enigma for sure...
                  Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                    • May 2008

Another movie that I can't wait for is The Grand Budapest Hotel. I've been excited for that since I first heard about it.
                    I really hope this is better than Moonrise Kingdom (or most of his films really). I think he has become one of the most boring, self-referential and therefore predictable directors of late. He's become almost a bit of a litmus test for "compatibility" when meeting new people.

Of course I exaggerate, but only a little...

Comment

• MoFiya
                      • Sep 2007

Oh noeee, I really disagree.
                      Wes Anderson is one of my favorite directors and Moonrise Kingdom probably my favorite movie by him. But I surely understand that his movies are all one-of-a-kind and either you love it or you hate it, at least in my oppinion.
                      I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                      But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• mrbeuys
                        • May 2008

We can never be friends.

Comment

• flashoflight
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Breaking the Waves. Actually, I should watch that again, it's been so long.
                          But to be honest - and I've said that before - as I mature I start finding that there is something juvenilely self-indulgent in all of his films.

At the time of their coming out, Dancer in the Dark and Dogville have left immense impression on me. These days, however, I have very little patience for wallowing in bleakness (not to be confused with acknowledging the bleakness).
                          It's possible that since I've only seen one of his movies, I was able to enjoy it as a fresh experience. Maybe after watching all his stuff, I'd feel the same way as you do. But I've put Breaking the Waves on my watchlist!

I really hope this is better than Moonrise Kingdom (or most of his films really). I think he has become one of the most boring, self-referential and therefore predictable directors of late. He's become almost a bit of a litmus test for "compatibility" when meeting new people.

Of course I exaggerate, but only a little...
                          I liked Moonrise, but I didn't think it was his best. I know a lot of people will disagree strongly, but I've seen all his movies and enjoyed Life Aquatic the most. That movie was quirky in the best way.

Comment

• endorphinz
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2009

I agree that the "artistic" quality of this year's crop is pretty weak but I need to comment on the general excellence of today's acting. The availability of screeners and the internet affords me the luxury of watching films I probably would never pay to see.

While the nominated films are somewhat entertaining (at best), the acting, for the most part is pretty damn great; great enough that this current generation of actors can make me forget that I'm watching a movie.

Yeah these *stars* get way too much $$$ snd publicity but the top tier are REALLY great at what they do.

I have much respect for them.

I mean Matthew Mcconaughey may be the butt of many jokes but the dude can act... bing watching True Detective as I type

@ mr b: I look forward to watching "Blue is the.." soon

Comment

• galia
                              • Jun 2009

Re: Von Trier. I think "Element of Crime" and "Europa" are masterpieces. Haven't seen Breakin the Waves, but hated both Dancer in the Dark (stupid tearjerker, overrated acting and music) and Dogville (overindulgent artsy shit and misogynistic to boot). I loved Melancholia, I cried for like 20mns after. I don't want to see Nympho, but I might out of curiosity stream it.

Has anyone seen his TV series? It's great, really funny/spooky/weird

Comment

• flashoflight
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by galia View Post
                                Has anyone seen his TV series? It's great, really funny/spooky/weird
                                I never knew one existed. Just did a search. Are you talking about 'The Kingdom'? Might have to check that out too.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎