X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • returningson
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by flashoflight View Post
    I actually saw all except 12 Years a Slave and Philomena. I doubt many people will agree with me, but out of what I saw, American hustle, Her, and Wolf of Wall Street were the ones that I found myself wishing were just a bit better. I rank Dallas Buyers Club, Captain Phillips and Nebraska above those three, and I would have picked DBC as best picture myself. Gravity is hard for me to really rate from a best picture perspective. I really really loved the cinematography, imagery, music and the technical skill that went into it. Because of that, I feel like it may have helped move focus away from anything the script lacked.

I've been meaning to watch 12 Years a Slave, but just have not had the time. It'll be out on BluRay soon, and I'll probably rent it then.

Also, I really thought Prisoners could have been nominated over a few of the actual nominations for best picture. That was one hell of a movie IMO.
    12 years really blew me away. It had this creepy cinematic vibe that floats throughout the movie. The opening consists of the camera snaking its way through tall grass with leaves partially hiding the camera (or the viewer) to spy on the slaves cutting cane. Almost is if McQueen was dubbing the modern audience as outsiders peering into a world we cannot really conceive given the age we live in. Subtle things like that plus the acting make it a great film. You definitely gotta watch!

Comment

• eleves
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by flashoflight View Post
      Has anyone else seen Grand Budapest yet? Just got back from a showing. It was a bit slow initially, but it really picked up and I ended up loving it. Had a huge grin through most of the movie! I enjoyed it more than I did Moonrise.
      Ah that's good to know! Wes Anderson is my favorite director and I thought that Moonrise had a slow start also but I ended up loving it. Still haven't made the time to see Grand Budapest but I recently received a free pass to any movie at a theatre so I'm definitely going to see it soon!
      Originally posted by Faust
      HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• returningson
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by eleves View Post
        Ah that's good to know! Wes Anderson is my favorite director and I thought that Moonrise had a slow start also but I ended up loving it. Still haven't made the time to see Grand Budapest but I recently received a free pass to any movie at a theatre so I'm definitely going to see it soon!
        I saw The Grand Budapest and LOVED it. I still haven't managed to see Moonrise but Ralph Fiennes is the centerpiece and definitely steals the show in Grand.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I also finally saw a couple of Oscar contenders courtesy of United Airways. American Hustle was absolutely lame - I don't understand why all the critics were besting over it. Dallas Buyers Club was fantastic though and well-deserved Oscars for McConaghey and Leto.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kamsky
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by returningson View Post
            I saw The Grand Budapest and LOVED it. I still haven't managed to see Moonrise but Ralph Fiennes is the centerpiece and definitely steals the show in Grand.
            I've not seen "Fantastic Mr Fox" but I thought "Life Aquatic," "Darjeeling," and "Moonrise Kingdom" were pleasantly vacuous, forgettable exercises in style. "Bottle Rocket," while unpolished, was very promising, and I think he fairly hit it out of the park with "Royal Tenenbaums." Succinctly then, to my mind, his is uneven work. Can't say I loved Grand Budapest, but I suppose I think highly of it. I was very surprised at how well his manneristic proclivities pulled off the historical metaphor that is the movie in its entirety. I'm almost inclined to see it once again with an eye to sussing out the symbolistic or allegorical value of Agatha's birthmark.

Bill Murray has, by all available evidence, long since lost the capacity of acting as otherwise than Bill Murray.

Comment

• lazyguru
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              I also finally saw a couple of Oscar contenders courtesy of United Airways. American Hustle was absolutely lame - I don't understand why all the critics were besting over it. Dallas Buyers Club was fantastic though and well-deserved Oscars for McConaghey and Leto.
              Yeah .. American hustle was super lame, Except for Bale he can do no wrong.

DallasBuyersClub was the bomb , the butterfly scene is forever etched in my memory

Comment

• lazyguru
                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by kamsky View Post
                I've not seen "Fantastic Mr Fox" but I thought "Life Aquatic," "Darjeeling," and "Moonrise Kingdom" were pleasantly vacuous, forgettable exercises in style. "Bottle Rocket," while unpolished, was very promising, and I think he fairly hit it out of the park with "Royal Tenenbaums." Succinctly then, to my mind, his is uneven work. Can't say I loved Grand Budapest, but I suppose I think highly of it. I was very surprised at how well his manneristic proclivities pulled off the historical metaphor that is the movie in its entirety. I'm almost inclined to see it once again with an eye to sussing out the symbolistic or allegorical value of Agatha's birthmark.

Bill Murray has, by all available evidence, long since lost the capacity of acting as otherwise than Bill Murray.
                I agree that Bottle Rocket was the best followed by Tenenbaums but cant ignore Rushmore , it was brill

Of the later lot I cannot put my finger on it but Moonrise is seriously genius
                Last edited by lazyguru; 04-10-2014, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• kamsky
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by lazyguru View Post
                  I agree that Bottle Rocket was the best followed by Tenenbaums but cant ignore Rushmore , it was brill

Of the later lot I cannot put my finger on it but Moonrise is seriously genius
                  Huhm. You're right; had in mind to mention "Rushmore" somewhere in there after "Tenenbaums" and failed to do so. Agree with your assessment of it; impressive movie.

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

Fuck this art cinema shit, I recently watched star trek, the avengers and Thor. Well it means I basically watched three times the same movie cause all the main events happen at clockwork around the same mark but hey.
                    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• BSR
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                      Fuck this art cinema shit, I recently watched star trek, the avengers and Thor. Well it means I basically watched three times the same movie cause all the main events happen at clockwork around the same mark but hey.
                      haven't you read Blake Snyder's handbook?
                      pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                      Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• kamsky
                        • Jan 2007

Haven't seen either Star Trek (never seen anything related to it) or Thor. Randomly, saw The Avengers in Warsaw and mostly liked it; very much like going to countries where I don't speak the language and seeing a movie in one I do understand. Good plot-driven movie, though I strangely found the action sequences a little overlong, could bring the plot to a grinding halt.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

I bet all them on a plane.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eleves
                            • Sep 2012

Has anyone seen Transcendence? I heard it was being panned and I was really hoping it would be amazing
                            Originally posted by Faust
                            HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Bodique
                              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by the-orb View Post

Bartas' Three Days was amazing as well. Of Bartas' films, I had only seen The House before this one and even though that's one of my favorites, this one seems easier to watch because it's shorter and there are at least some traces of dialog. The murky, decaing street scenes are incredibly atmospheric and Golubeva's performance is spot on detached. If you like Tarr and Tarkovsky, this one's worth seeking out.
                              I think you'll like his "Freedom". Meditational but depressing film.

Originally posted by 888 View Post
                              This was really inspiring. I'd love to find more architectural/art documentaries like this.
                              Did you watched Objectified and Helvetica?

«Страдания жизни неразумной приводят к сознанию необходимости разумной жизни.»
                              Лев Николаевич Толстой

Comment

• SuE
                                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by 888 View Post
                                This was really inspiring. I'd love to find more architectural/art documentaries like this.
                                Originally posted by Bodique View Post
                                Did you watched Objectified and Helvetica?
                                Don't forget Urbanized

One of my fave melding of architecture and film is Los Angeles Plays Itself
                                One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art ― Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎