Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seventh
    • Dec 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

Before delving into pre-1950 films, I decided to watch "Twin Peaks" all the way through (despite seeing his films, somehow I missed watching it before). Just finished the first season. And... wow... It is the most amazing TV show I have ever seen. I have never watched anything so campy, cute, funny that could switch emotions to terrifying and tragic so quickly. I am astonished how layered the plot is. Slightly incoherent in my praise, but, yeah, it is a good one!

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user="gusgusterson"]

[quote user="Faust"]Started watching Dead Man. Jarmusch elicits one big yawn out of me. The rare brilliant subtleties of his humor do not nearly offset the emptiness of his films. If that's the case, he's best with something episodic, like Coffee and Cigarettes. Can a Jarmusch fan give me a 101? Am I missing something?
      [/quote]</P>

If you can stomach it, give Dead Man another try. It's really slow paced, but I think it's worthwhile. Everything about Dead Man seems so trite on paper and so 90s indie and it still works for me. Though I haven't seen it in years, it remains one of my favorite movies. </P>

Fuuma: Great list. Jean Pierre Melville is amazing. I watched Cercle Rouge last night. Alain Delon with a moustache!</P>

[/quote]</P>

Jarmusch is offbeat without being part of the new crop of overdone hipster filmakers. Not my favourite but I do enjoy some of his movies.</P>

Melville saidgave Delon a moustache so that he would look less handsome, cause he wanted to make a manly film with no romantic implications.</P>
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">For seventh<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Two noirs and one polar I recently saw:<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">The blue gardenia/Lang/USA/1953<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN>[/B]</P>

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">Dignified leading lady gets dumped by her army sweetheart stationed in </SPAN><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">Japan</SPAN></st1:place></st1:country-region><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">, accepts to get dinner with a forceful playboy, gets drunk and wakes up next to his corpse. Now she must try to hide her involvement and lives in fear of the police. A journalist looking to sell copies keeps writing about the mysterious lady who left a blue gardenia on the crime scene and asks her to contact him, secretly harbouring intentions of handling her to the police after getting her exclusive confession. Lang US noirs are pretty nice, I?d look for some of those; he really make you feel like he?s got a score to settle with repressive social mechanisms and institutions and the cowardly sheep mentality that perpetuates them.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></FONT></P>

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Panic in the streets/Kazan/USA/1950<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN>[/B]</P>

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">Police find the corpse of a murdered man that is infected with the plague; they have 48 hours to find the murderer before the virus spreads like wildfire to the whole of </SPAN><st1:City><st1:place><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">New Orleans</SPAN></st1:place></st1:City><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">. Good clean fun from your favourite McCarthy collaborator.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></FONT></P>

<FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN lang=EN-GB style="mso-ansi-language: EN-GB">Police python 357/Corneau/France/1975</SPAN>[/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><o:p></o:p></SPAN>[/B]</FONT></FONT></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">A solitary to the point of autism police inspector falls for a mysterious girl who is, unbeknown to him, his own boss? kept mistress. When the later learns that his girlfriend has an unknown lover, he ends up killing her and disposes of the evidence. As luck would have it, the inspector has to conduct an investigation that, no matter how extreme a step he takes to muddy the trail, inexorably leads to himself. The interest of the film lies in the gradual depersonalization of the inspector (a terrific Yves Montand) who is so affected by the death of his lover he suffers from a gradual depersonalization that leads him to connect his identity more and more to his gun (a python 357) to the exclusion of anything else. There?s also an emotionally shattering scene between Montand and his real life wife (Simone Signoret), who plays the police commissioner?s wife.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>

Comment

• PrinceOfCats
          • Jan 2007

[quote user="Fuuma"]<span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">
          </font><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">I did post a few film noir reviews at some point, + a ?top 100? film list classified by decade, I?d look into that first. If you got some kind of well-stocked public library, just go there and rent films that have black and white covers with visually interesting actors and cool quotes on them like ?See a man get away with murder? and ?A chilling tale of excess, are you really sure what your loved ones want??. Those vary greatly in quality but the spirit is there.<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><o:p><font face="Times New Roman"></font></o:p></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Here?s a list of titles I like that are either pre-noirish/ foreign noirs, noirs or crime stories, made before 1960 that appeared in my top100 or maybe some reviews:<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" mce_keep="true"><font face="Times New Roman"></font></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><font face="Times New Roman">Vampires, les<o:p></o:p></font></p></span>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, the<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Nosferatu<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Metropolis<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">M<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">39 steps<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Maltese falcon, the<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">This gun for hire<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;"><font face="Times New Roman">Corbeau, le<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;"><font face="Times New Roman">Laura<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Out of the past<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><font face="Times New Roman"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US">Lady from </span><st1:City><st1:place><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US">Shanghai</span></st1:place></st1:City><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US">, the<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;"><font face="Times New Roman">Third man, the<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;"><font face="Times New Roman">Rashomon<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;"><font face="Times New Roman">D.O.A.<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;"><font face="Times New Roman">Touchez pas au grisbi<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;"><font face="Times New Roman">Diabolique/Diaboliques, les<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;"><font face="Times New Roman">Rififi/Rififi chez les hommes, du<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;"><font face="Times New Roman">Bob le flambeur<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Vertigo<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Bad sleep well, the<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Heaven and hell<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Stray dog<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;"><font face="Times New Roman">Odds against tomorrow<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Casque d?or<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Manchurian candidate, the<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Killing, the<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Night and the city<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Man who knew too much<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">Rebecca<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>
          <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="font-size: 11pt;" lang="EN-US"><font face="Times New Roman">À double tour<o:p></o:p></font></span></p>

[/quote]</p>

No Sunset Boulevard? [:O]</p>

Le Doulos (Sunday 21 at the Institut Francais in South Kensington for any Londoners...) is my favourite Melville. And Franju's Les Yeux Sans Visages is another Frenchpre-noir also worth checking out.
          </p>
          the extraordinary metamorphosis of one black liquid into another

Comment

• laika
            • Sep 2006

Fuuma's lists are most inspiring, always. [64]</p>

I saw Blade Runner Final Cut last night, anybody else? Didn't notice a huge difference content-wise, other than some extended scenes. It sure looked nice on the big screen though. [H]
            </p>
            ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

Fuuma's lists are most inspiring, always. [64]</p>

I saw Blade Runner Final Cut last night, anybody else? Didn't notice a huge difference content-wise, other than some extended scenes. It sure looked nice on the big screen though. [H]
              </p>

[/quote]</p>

I envy you. Yesterday was the last day. I wanted to go this Saturday [70]</p>
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

Well, don't be too envious. It was cool to see it on the big screen, but believe me, it will look even better on your new tv at home. [51]
                ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]Well, don't be too envious. It was cool to see it on the big screen, but believe me, it will look even better on your new tv at home. [51]
                  [/quote]</p>

Hehe, it will. The DVD player I got yesterday works wonders. [:O]</p>
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gusgusterson
                    • Mar 2007

Everyone should go see Control.

Comment

• philip nod
                      • Aug 2007

funny you should say that, i was about to start a thread. good film not great. breezy sweet first half, stumbles at the end beginning w the hypnosis scene. since anton is a fashion photographer, i just dont think he can or does get across the depth of Ian's suffering. It's a huge challenge but i think he came close but failed in the end. some scenes were chilling, the isolation booth, the hate jacket. i have to see it again. i thought the casting was amazing and sam riley was brilliant. all in all, disaster was avoided and the first step was shooting the fucker in black and white.
                      One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Almost went to see it Saturday. Maybe another weekend.</p>

I watched Baraka for the n'th time, taking advantage of my new TV and DVD player. I can watch it over and over and over and.... Probably the most beautiful film I have ever seen...</p>

I can only imagine how it will look once they release it in high definition.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interman
                          • Dec 2006

Watched Sakuran at a local film festival a few days ago. Nice movie about prostitutes (not geishas) back in the samurai days. Decent, but very predictable story. Bit slow at times, but occasionally beautiful, funny, and entertaining. Worth seeing if you have the opportunity.

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

Saw a bunch of movies recently, will post some short "reviews" tomorrow.</P>

I listened to Fallen angels again and now I can't wait to read non-spaces. Wong-Kar-Wai's usage of public spaces makes you think a lot about what they mean to urban dwellers.</P>

Comment

• KeijiHaino
                              • Dec 2006

i can't wait to see control.

Comment

• gusgusterson
                                • Mar 2007

Watched Inland Empire. I think I liked it. I wasn't as terrified as I was waiting for that thing to reappear behind the diner in Mulholland Dr. Oh and everyone should go see Control.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎