Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DudleyGray
    • Jul 2013

That doesn't surprise me, those would be the most recognizable to include I suppose.
    bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• kamsky
      • Jan 2007

Saw Bong Joon-ho's "Snowpiercer" yesterday -- richly imagined claustrophobic dystopia; purposefully grotesque caricatural characters; and what appeared to me to be some of the more inventive action sequences in some time (though I slightly mistrust my own judgment here, as I'm not overly familiar with movies that have action sequences).

I recommend it, would be interesting to hear what others might have to say in re costume designs.

Comment

• snafu
        • Apr 2008

Snowpiercer ^^^ Didn't think it was anything special, & I normally love anything John Hurt is in.

Her was ok, but i only felt ok... maybe i should rematch it, but it lacked something for me.

I liked nymphomaniac, raid 2 is great, and even better Sin-se-gae, watched an old classic El Topo loved it...

Comment

• Jun 2014

Some movies I've been rewatching lately...

Comment

• BrokenBoards
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by snafu View Post
            Snowpiercer ^^^ Didn't think it was anything special, & I normally love anything John Hurt is in.
            I might be crazy and reading too much into it, but I swore when they tell the story of the "Revolt of the Seven", there were only 5 people frozen in the snow? Then when Namgoong tells the story to his daughter, he mentioned how one of the Inuit leaders of the movement thought life could exist in the snow. Maybe I am crazy, or maybe she's out there!? Though I can't imagine a sequel being made.

Swinton's character was hilarious.
            "I would use lard if it came in a pretty bottle."

Comment

• mikemikemike
              • Jun 2011

looking back a few pages there were some great suggestions for mosfilm and lenfilm but there is also a great crime drama from odessa film that is available with subtitles(im pretty sure)

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ a classic.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lazyguru
                  • Jun 2008

OMAR by Hany Ab-Assad
                  What an amazing poignant movie , so beautiful so sad! A must watch to get a view into a world thats pretty much hidden from us herein the West

Comment

• Tolley
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                    Bump to hear if anyone has opinions on the YSL movie. It's playing in the art theater near me, but it's got mixed reviews, so I'm not sure if it's worth watching. Wonder what fashion people think?
                    I saw it at the Film Forum a few weeks ago. I didn't think it was TERRIBLE, just good. Definitely worth seeing for the clothes they were able to use. The Mondrian dresses did have about a 3 minute section. The scenes from his home in Marrakech were particularly good.

It seemed to jump around a bit in the beginning and I didn't leave feeling moved, and it was a little overly dramatic in some sections. But I enjoyed it. Good soundtrack too.

PS. The girls they cast were all flawlessly beautiful.

Comment

• Tolley
                      • Apr 2014

MY BODY IS READY.

Comment

• kurta
                        • Jun 2014

PULP: A Film About Life, Death & Supermarkets

This week I took in the West Coast premiere of PULP: A Film About Life, Death & Supermarkets at the Ace Hotel's gorgeous and historic Downtown LA theater. It was a packed house full of mad Jarvis Cocker fans, to see a documentary ostensibly about Pulp and the world of mad Jarvis Cocker fans. But the film succeeds because it is quite a bit more: Its main framing device is Pulp's hometown show in Sheffield for the band's 2012 reunion tour, but through creatively shot and selected interviews and cinematic moments with local residents, the piece takes on existential depth and dimension. It's being distributed by Oscilloscope, the production company founded by Beastie Boy Adam Yauch aka MCA (RIP), which also released the LCD Soundsystem film Shut Up And Play The Hits. Both are band-focused films with archetypal heroes (aging hipster poster boy James Murphy; nattily dressed and erotically fixated debonair-academic-populist Cocker), though they are different animals: Shut Up... is a concert film, while PULP is a capital "f" Film, with concert elements. The filmmaker Florian Habicht was on hand to introduce the film and do a Q&A afterward, as was Jarvis himself. It was the ever-charming and quotable Cocker's night, as it was his film -- the crowd was his, all his -- but ultimately I was impressed by just how much it all added up to something bigger.

And since this is SZ it's worth mentioning that Jarvis hasn't updated his look -- still a slim-cut suit and skinny tie over his rakish frame, with large eyeglass frames set off by stringy chin-length hair -- and that is very much for the best.

Here's the trailer:

And the official website. And no Pulp post would be complete without this, I suppose...

Comment

• fncyths
                          • Apr 2010

great post kurta. love pulp! received some pretty entertaining pics of last night's q&a with jarvis in nyc. also from what I hear the karaoke competition was quite the laugh
                          Originally posted by Shucks
                          it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                          Originally posted by interest1
                          I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• kurta
                            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by fncyths View Post
                            received some pretty entertaining pics of last night's q&a with jarvis in nyc. also from what I hear the karaoke competition was quite the laugh
                            Karaoke with Cocker, precisely the sort of thing that makes me miss NYC. (I can only imagine how hard everyone fanned out while sharing that space with Jarvis, too.) I'm going to look these photos up ASAP. Thanks fncyths!

Comment

• mikko
                              • Apr 2013

Anyone managed to see this yet? Will be hitting the local film festival over here next month, so stoked...

Comment

• galia
                                • Jun 2009

Yeah, saw it a few months ago. Was fun but way too long and self-indulgent at times

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎