• interest1
    • Nov 2008

^ panting waiting for this to come out
    sain't

Comment

• jap808
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Watched the first Nymphomaniac. I'll watch the second just so I'm not accused of casting an uninformed judgement, but so far it only proves that von Trier is the most self-indulgent filmmaker working today. Take away this pseudo-intellectual/symbolic conversation about linking unbridled sex to fly fishing, Fibonacci sequence (which should be confined to Dan Brown's novels), and other nonsense, and all you have is a lot of fucking by Stacy Martin. And this whole thing of the professor being Jewish as a wink-nudge, sorry/not sorry gesture to the Cannes debacle of several years ago is pathetic.

It's hard to believe I used to like this guy in my mopey 20s.
      Everything coming from Von Trier annoys/irritates me: his movies, his "dogma", his beahviour, his "telephone" press conference in Venice (!), his continuous "revolution" (?!)...
      Maybe it's just me: growin' too old and being suspicious towards revolutions...

Comment

• kamsky
        • Jan 2007

[Thread bump.]

Recently saw "Ida" and "La jalousie." Very different films, though both are concerned with what I will loosely phrase as a search for identity. While the former examines this in relation to historical processes and overarching societal structures, the latter goes about it in a more confined, individually restricted way. Both directors have given their cameras very strong, yet quiet personalities; stylistically speaking, at times both reminded me of Marcel Carné's "Le quai des brumes."

Both have stuck with me much more than anything else in some time.

"The Congress" and "Zero Theorem" were both disappointing; "Congress" struck me as cynical (albeit visually engaging), "Zero..." as reductive, dated and boring.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

So, I subjected myself to Noah while on a place last week. God, why did you have to punish me thus?
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Rick-A-Doodle
            • Oct 2014

Got around to seeing Killing Them Softly as they just put it up on Netflix. Really enjoyed it, especially Brad Pitt. I have to get around to seeing Chopper as I enjoyed The Assassination of Jesse James a lot as well. Great costuming and ambience.

Anyone see Zero Theorem? Debating on seeing it in theaters.

Comment

• mrbeuys
              • May 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              So, I subjected myself to Noah while on a place last week. God, why did you have to punish me thus?
              I worked on/for it for almost a year and couldn't bring myself to watch it yet... Don't blame only Darren though. It's the bloody executives at paramount and their faith consultants. I've seen some pretty hideous things. :)
              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• snafu
                • Apr 2008

I watched requiem for a dream only the second time in like 7 years, the other night, very uncomfortable film, but i thought of you.

Comment

• Lois Grüveltner
                  • Jul 2010

/\ Great movie and the best Jared Leto performance I've seen.
                  I love the soundtrack and the wonderful sad Lux Aeterna/Clint Mansell melody!

Comment

• DudleyGray
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by snafu View Post
                    I watched requiem for a dream only the second time in like 7 years, the other night, very uncomfortable film, but i thought of you.
                    I can't imagine that's something anyone wants to hear.
                    bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• mrbeuys
                      • May 2008

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                      I can't imagine that's something anyone wants to hear.
                      Context is everything.
                      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                        I worked on/for it for almost a year and couldn't bring myself to watch it yet... Don't blame only Darren though. It's the bloody executives at paramount and their faith consultants. I've seen some pretty hideous things. :)
                        Yes, I have gleaned as much from his New Yorker profile.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interest1
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post

Context is everything.

You have that uncanny ability to say everything without revealing anything.

*wink wink / (well-manicured) fist bump*
                          sain't

Comment

• swami
                            • Jul 2008

Innaritu's BIRDMAN
                            2 words watch it!
                            Was a real treat specially after the let down made for masses Fincher flick , sure it will do better than any of his others at the box office

Innaritu is at at his apex of creativity & genius with this one a departure of sorts from his usual hard hitting style almost a dark comedy , simply brilliant!

must watch

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by lazyguru View Post
                              OMAR by Hany Ab-Assad
                              What an amazing poignant movie , so beautiful so sad! A must watch to get a view into a world thats pretty much hidden from us herein the West
                              i've been meaning to see this. must remember.

the other day i went to see this. brilliant debut by the director. harsh. very harsh. there are a couple of scenes that will stay with me for a long time.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by swami View Post
                                Innaritu's BIRDMAN
                                2 words watch it!
                                Was a real treat specially after the let down made for masses Fincher flick , sure it will do better than any of his others at the box office

Innaritu is at at his apex of creativity & genius with this one a departure of sorts from his usual hard hitting style almost a dark comedy , simply brilliant!

must watch
                                Didn't know he had a new film out. I've interviewed him - such an interesting and heartfelt person. Love him.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎