Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 550BC
    • Jan 2013

well I enjoyed Interstellar.. plot was a bit confusing, but overall the visuals were very inspiring :)
    a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Resonkuken
      • Oct 2012

I enjoyed it as well and I agree about the plot, there were times were I was a bit lost. They were also a bit tiresome with the whole relativity thing. We heard it once, twice is fine but no need to say it over and over again. But I came out of the theatre pleased because it´s a good movie and it´s breathtaking to watch. And all the nods (or pretty much blatant references) to 2001: A space Odyssey were more than welcome, specially in that cheek-in-tongue kinda way.

Comment

• kamsky
        • Jan 2007

Most recently saw "Force Majeure" -- one of the most visually meticulous, almost geometrically organized films in recent memory. A very simple premise is taken to great lengths to examine the characters' psyches and to create truly agonizing, thornily awkward, hilarious moments.

Comment

• wearejuststardust
          • Apr 2009

A breakdown of Inglourious Basterds Chapter.I, this is amazing!

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Watched Raging Bull finally. What was supposed to be so amazing about it? Was it a time/place thing? Because it certainly did not age well, the way say Deerhunter has.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• GucciAmen
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Watched Raging Bull finally. What was supposed to be so amazing about it? Was it a time/place thing? Because it certainly did not age well, the way say Deerhunter has.
              Maybe because of it's depiction of the boxer's actual story? That'd be my first guess. Robert De Niro did a great job in my opinion. I personally thought the boxer's descent from success to despair due to his losing the battle with his 'inner demons' was a strong point, like how his crippling jealousy resulted in the loss of his second wife. Was also interesting to see Robert De Niro gain 40 pounds... Thanks for mentioning Deerhunter! That's another De Niro film I have to see.

Comment

• gregor
                • Oct 2014

watched Werckmeister Harmonies, beautiful, perfectly pretentious, and artful

also more recently re-watched this is england

would recommend both to anyone who likes really heavy themes and storytelling

Comment

• kurta
                  • Jun 2014

Saw Inherent Vice -- the film directed and screen-written by Paul Thomas Anderson, based on the novel by beloved author Thomas Pynchon -- at a screening at the Ace Hotel in downtown Los Angeles last night. Staggering cast brilliantly directed by PT. Every time a beloved face came on screen, the crowd applauded preemptively; by the scene's end, the actor had earned it. Anchored by Joaquin Phoenix and Josh Brolin, the film also features Martin Short, Benecio Del Toro, Joanna Newsom (who also narrates, a shrewd use of her talents), Jenna Malone, Michael K. Williams (aka Omar Little aka Chalky White), Owen Wilson, Reese Whitherspoon, and others.

Pynchon's plot is frenetic and convoluted, but even when you're lost (and you likely will be at points), you'll be laughing. (This is especially true if you enjoy narcotic or sexual humor; ideally, both.) The movie sits somewhere between Pulp Fiction and Fear And Loathing and Anderson's own Boogie Nights for its mix of vice, eccentric characters and shag carpets.

Recommended, if only for to know the contours of what will likely be a (sub)cultural touchstone.

Comment

• Shucks
                    • Aug 2010

nightcrawler provides one of the most accurate portrayals of psychopathy i've seen on film. highly recommended, mediocre trailer notwithstanding.

Last edited by Shucks; 12-04-2014, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• kurta
                      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                      nightcrawler provides one of the most accurate portrayals of psychopathy i've seen on film. highly recommended, mediocre trailer notwithstanding.
                      Jake Gyllenhaal was nominated for an Independent Spirit award for his work in that film. At the very least, you have to admire his physical commitment to his craft: From wan in Nightcrawler to jacked beyond belief in the forthcoming Southpaw -- this image just circulated this week (via Deadline):

Comment

• gregor
                        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by kurta View Post
                        Jake Gyllenhaal was nominated for an Independent Spirit award for his work in that film. At the very least, you have to admire his physical commitment to his craft: From wan in Nightcrawler to jacked beyond belief in the forthcoming Southpaw -- this image just circulated this week (via Deadline):

genuinely quite amazed to see that change

Comment

• snafu
                          • Apr 2008

not such a drastic change when you think of matthew mcconaughey in dbc, and christian bale in the machinist or the fighter.

Comment

• gregor
                            • Oct 2014

i suppose less so then, but even then i think there's something to be said for it

other actors more so, perhaps

Comment

• galia
                              • Jun 2009

the contrast is still quite striking, but I don't think that that's what makes a great actor. He was good in nightcrawler though, I'll give him that.

Comment

• snafu
                                • Apr 2008

didn't really like nightcrawler, although i quite liked end of watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎