Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GucciAmen
    • Sep 2014

Watched two Kenji Mizoguchi films on the weekend, Sansho the Bailiff and The Crucified Lovers. Think I may watch Life of Ohira next... Anyone have any Japanese classics they would like to recommend?

Comment

• gregor
      • Oct 2014

ikiru is great, if you haven't seen it

Comment

• menofoutsiders
        • Apr 2013

Definitely Ozu, my Japanese friend also recommend me a lesser known director called Seijun Suzuki. I haven't checked his films yet but he told me Seijun is his favourite director.

Anyone here seeing Force Majeure yet?

Comment

• GucciAmen
          • Sep 2014

I watched Tokyo Story by Ozu the other day. I'd put it near or even at the top of my list, perfect film.

Comment

• kamsky
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by menofoutsiders View Post
            Anyone here seeing Force Majeure yet?
            Yes -- wonderfully humorous, almost claustrophobically restrained film; visually coherent to a degree seldom seen elsewhere.

Comment

• qcqc
              • Oct 2012

awards season:

imitation game and american spiner: BAD

birdman and whiplash: AMAZING

Comment

• gregor
                • Oct 2014

oh god american sniper is a wreck

not a terrible movie, but for obvious other political reasons i found it almost impossible to sit through.

Comment

• GucciAmen
                  • Sep 2014

Watched my first french horror film last night, Eyes Without a Face

The score was one of my favourite parts of the film, really interesting/quirky whenever the doctor and/or his secretary were in the shot.

Also watched Harakiri by Masaki Kobayashi, beautiful and tragic story, first samurai classic I've seen thus far, I guess it's obligatory now for me to watch Seven Samurai by Akira Kurosawa.

Comment

• Jtothewhat
                    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
                    Watched my first french horror film last night, Eyes Without a Face

The score was one of my favourite parts of the film, really interesting/quirky whenever the doctor and/or his secretary were in the shot.

Also watched Harakiri by Masaki Kobayashi, beautiful and tragic story, first samurai classic I've seen thus far, I guess it's obligatory now for me to watch Seven Samurai by Akira Kurosawa.
                    Harakiri and Seven Samurai are both great, Something I found entertaining was watching Seven Samurai and the original Magnificent Seven (1960) western with Steve McQueen and Yul Brenner.

I also enjoyed Takashi Miike's modern remake of Harakiri.. really well shot film and not overdone like a lot of Miike's work. Not that you likely want to watch the same story again but it is a great remake.

Comment

• flicers
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by menofoutsiders View Post
                      Definitely Ozu, my Japanese friend also recommend me a lesser known director called Seijun Suzuki. I haven't checked his films yet but he told me Seijun is his favourite director.
                      Suzuki is mostly known for making fun b-movies. Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter are the most well known and available ones and they're both very enjoyable if you like neo-noirs that mock censorship. The production design, soundtrack and outfits on both are ridiculous in a good way.

Thought Birdman was a decent movie giving actors an easy opportunity to shine, especially Edward Norton.

Comment

• qcqc
                        • Oct 2012

There is a campaign against the masterpiece Leviathan in Russia: Link

Comment

• gregor
                          • Oct 2014

watched Nostalghia the other night. that movie is everything I love about Eastern European cinema; off-beat, kind of surreal, and artfully pretentious. a weird romance underscores a strange black and white Soviet wanderlust story of phantasmagorical beauty. very, very hard to follow, or reflect on in post, but very much worth watching. one of tarkovsky's best works

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

/\ I fell asleep :(
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Defender
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2015

So, Inherent Vice is garbage. P.T. Anderson's movies are usually amazing, but Inherent Vice is lacking in almost all the hallmarks of his previous work: emotional growth, processing relationships, finding something out about yourself. Inherent Vice is like a poor man's Big Lebowski - a story about a guy just moving with the flow of a spectacular series of events.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Defender View Post
                                So, Inherent Vice is garbage. P.T. Anderson's movies are usually amazing, but Inherent Vice is lacking in almost all the hallmarks of his previous work: emotional growth, processing relationships, finding something out about yourself. Inherent Vice is like a poor man's Big Lebowski - a story about a guy just moving with the flow of a spectacular series of events.
                                Yes, thank you. It was so bad, and not in any sort of amusing way. I can't remember the last time I found a movie so tedious and contrived that I had to walk out of it.
                                bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎