Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nycd
    • Oct 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

Just saw Forever - http://thescreen.csf.edu/Forever.htm

Interesting look at a bunch of French writers/artists/composers - from the view of the cemetery where they're buried - Père-Lachaise cemetery in Paris.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user="gusgusterson"]Watched Inland Empire. I think I liked it. I wasn't as terrified as I was waiting for that thing to reappear behind the diner in Mulholland Dr. Oh and everyone should go see Control.
      [/quote]</p>

OMFG, don't remind me! I picked out the DVD off of my stand the other day, then remembered that thing and put it back (goes to put down the hair on his back).</p>
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
        • Sep 2006

I also think I liked Inland Empire, but it's only a vauge notion for the moment. NEed to see it again. Saw recently - The Singer, very good; Eastern Promises, very good (Mortensen is brilliant in this); Two Days in Paris, ok; Tell No One,ok;

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I am watching Spirited Away - my daughter is absolutely in love with it.</p>

Watched my first movie in HD DVD format - Full Metal Jacket. Very impressive. I love that film. "You are so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece." LOL.</p>

Also have the last Nine Inch Nails concert in HD DVD. That should be awesome. Can't wait to watch it.</p>
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Haha, cool. She might also like howl's moving castle.</P>

I'll probably surprise a few people here by saying I absolutely hate Lynch's films, appart from "the straight story".</P>
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Johnny
              • Sep 2006

for some reason that doesn't surprise me in the slightest, especially the last bit.

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]for some reason that doesn't surprise me in the slightest, especially the last bit.[/quote]</P>
                <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">I hope you're not trying to imply I'm a film classicist and Lynch an iconoclastic innovator because we?ll have two major disagreements on hand (ore one relation of causation depending how you look at it). Anyhow, sounds interesting, please elaborate.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

Comment

• mass
                  • Sep 2006

i hate lynch too, aside from blue velvet. but i thought eraserhead and mulholland drive were ok.

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">Vivement dimanche!/Truffaut/France/1983<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>[/B]</P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">Bla, bla bla murder, blablabla wrongfully accused, blablabla hiding from the police (see a pattern here?). The interest lie in the noir inspiration and Truffaut?s deft handling of the interplay between the fugitive and his loyal and resourceful secretary. An investigation led by a woman and that takes its source in the magical quality Truffaut saw in them.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><o:p></o:p></SPAN>[/B]</P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">Django/Corbucci/Italy/1966<o:p></o:p></SPAN>[/B]</P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">This is the original Django movie and it doesn?t disappoint; a pillar of the western spaghetti genre, replete with sweaty, swarthy thugs and ravishing girls of little virtue but high moral fiber. The final is particularly epic, with a greatly diminished Django having to win a duel despite now useless hands.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Poulet au vinaigre (Cop au vin) &amp; L?inspecteur Lavardin (inspector Lavardin)/Chabrol/France/1985&amp;1986<o:p></o:p></SPAN>[/B]</P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">Two fun films where the spirited inspector Lavardin investigates murder committed upon (and by) regional bourgeoisie. Lavardin is a peculiar character who delights in handling justice his own way and basically only punishes those people he dislikes, usually well-connected notables.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">I confess/Hitchcock/USA/1953<o:p></o:p></SPAN>[/B]</P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">A catholic priest (a more method than method Montgomery Clift) can?t denounce a murderer as he his bound by the secret of confession, his suspicious silences and refusal to collaborate end up making him the prime suspect, will he recount on his vows to save himself? Also starring Anne Baxter, who was the main character of The blue gardenia (see one of my last reviews). Hitchcock takes full advantage of Québec?s almost gothic settings; a city that also captured the imagination of H.P. Lovecraft (I like this guy, any other fans?).<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">Merci pour le chocolat (thank you for the chocolate)/Chabrol/France/2000<o:p></o:p></SPAN>[/B]</P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">Another Chabrol bourgeois crime drama, directed with his usual light touch. Huppert is impressive as the apparently kind but deeply disturbed head of the family. In his best movies Chabrol often foregoes surprise and mystery (who did it, out of nowhere twists) to concentrate on the really important elements of suspense and depth of characterization. It?s the difference between witnessing a character being shot out of nowhere and having no anticipation and no time to understand the process of the killer and seeing him preparing, knowing he carries the gun and wondering where he will direct his aggressivity and why.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">Confession of pain/Lau&amp;Mak/HK/2006<o:p></o:p></SPAN>[/B]</P>
                    <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">From the makers of Infernal Affairs and featuring Tony Leung in his ?maybe my comatose acting will pass for the understated touch that makes my best roles such tour de force? That movie does not deliver, as the tragic proportion dimension of the plot is definitely not carried very well by the actors and collapse under the weight of a badly written scenario and phoned-in direction. I?ll eagerly waitfor the Scorsese release starring DiCaprio, at least this guy?s overacting can?t be qualified as soporific.</SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

Comment

• Johnny
                      • Sep 2006

haha Fuuma, I wasn't implying that at all. I think it's fair to say that you seem to know a fair bit about film. In fact, almost without exception I've never heard of, never mind seen, most of the films you mention (see above). So I thought it was typical in a way that I love Lynch and have seen all of his films, apart from the one you like, which I don't really fancy!! But I also think that Lynch is popular among thosewho like to think that they are a bit out of the mainstream in their taste in film, but aren't actally.It was a rather facile comment then, not particularly interesting after all. I'm interested, though, in knowing a bit more about why you don't like him. </P>

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

Haha, cool. She might also like howl's moving castle.</p>

I'll probably surprise a few people here by saying I absolutely hate Lynch's films, appart from "the straight story".</p>

[/quote]</p>

Every time the credits come on, she bursts into tears, because she does not want it to end. It's pretty amazing.</p>

I am surprised that you don't like Lynch. I am not a big fan of his (I don't like Blue Velvet, for example), but I thought both The Lost Highway and Mullholand Drive were awesome.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gusgusterson
                          • Mar 2007

Pan's Labyrinth. Dude. Woah. </p>

I'll second that Hellboy is the best comic book movie made yet. I do hope Batman II steals the title.</p>

Regarding Lynch, I think if he weren't such a huge part of my youth I wouldn't be able to sit through the recent ones. He gets the benefit of the doubt for me because I spent so much time pouring over his films with my brother who had a savant ability to explain to me what the hell was going on.
                          </p>

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Fuuma"]

Haha, cool. She might also like howl's moving castle.</P>

I'll probably surprise a few people here by saying I absolutely hate Lynch's films, appart from "the straight story".</P>

[/quote]</P>

Every time the credits come on, she bursts into tears, because she does not want it to end. It's pretty amazing.</P>

I am surprised that you don't like Lynch. I am not a big fan of his (I don't like Blue Velvet, for example), but I thought both The Lost Highway and Mullholand Drive were awesome.</P>

[/quote]</P>

I liked the lost highway soundtrack...</P>

I'm no expert on Lynch but I guess he lacks the perfect framing and precision of a Hitchcock or Melville, the free-form and uber-intellectual spirit of Godard or the humanity of Truffaut and Kurosawa. His narratives are quite convoluted and symbolic but they don't visually deliver the way I would like him too, something that a cinematographer of the subconscious like he is (very Freudian, no?) should master if he wants to bring me in is dark world. In short, it just doesn't click for me.</P>

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Watching the Nine Inch Nails live concert (Beside You in Time) in HD-DVD. Holy shit [:O]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• klangspiel
                                • Apr 2007

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GYyOkQUyJZM

</p>

pow! pow!</p>

</p>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡