Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • naturalalmonds
    • Sep 2013

Thought this might be worth a mention in this thread, Dior and I is in theatres now, though I'm not sure how accurate the dates are on the website so check your local listings: http://www.diorandimovie.com/watch/

For example, here in Toronto it seems it will actually start showing April 17th, rather than today.

I thought the trailer looked pretty good, so I will be definitely checking it out.

Has anyone had a chance to see it yet?
    I want to do product, I am a product person, not just clothing but water bottle design - Kanye West

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

No, but I am already sick of it since the Facebook ads cramming it down my throat.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mrbeuys
        • May 2008

The Sunday times had a pretty funny review of it. Unfortunately it is paywalled so can't quote. They thought it was shit.
        Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I cannot underestimate the influence of Raf's early work on me. To see him making cocktail dresses for the bourgeoisie - fuck that.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• naturalalmonds
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
            The Sunday times had a pretty funny review of it. Unfortunately it is paywalled so can't quote. They thought it was shit.
            Consider my expectations lowered then, oh well

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            I cannot underestimate the influence of Raf's early work on me. To see him making cocktail dresses for the bourgeoisie - fuck that.
            Haha, ouch. Do you think there's no value in what he's doing at Dior? Not necessarily for the world and what comes out of Dior, but for Raf himself and his own label?
            I want to do product, I am a product person, not just clothing but water bottle design - Kanye West

Comment

• gregor
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by naturalalmonds View Post
              Consider my expectations lowered then, oh well

Haha, ouch. Do you think there's no value in what he's doing at Dior? Not necessarily for the world and what comes out of Dior, but for Raf himself and his own label?
              it's not like his own label is a far cry from his work at dior. dude is out of his element trying to do the work he needs to at dior. it lacks any of the visceral feeling and meaning that his early stuff had, and, since it's lacking the basic spirit intrinsic in good art, it doesn't really have much merit. his own line isn't anything better or different.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                • Sep 2010

I think these views seem really limited. Personally, I really don't enjoy Raf's own line and think it's incredibly boring. While I like a lot of the concept and intent, the clothing, to me is bland and overpriced based on the easy to think up concepts and textiles used. However, this is 100% just an opinion and I respect that tons of people love his work and he was definitely super influential towards much of the clothing we wear today, so successful in many ways. Just not my thing in terms of the actual clothing produced in his line.

However, for the Dior work he's doing, I actually think it's very much in the spirit of the Dior house so it shows that Raf is incredibly versatile and the way I view his stay at Dior is that it's about him doing something for the Dior brand and not about him merging his own line into theirs. I mean, they are incredibly different in my opinion and should remain separate. His work for Dior is beautiful though and an expression of colorful methods and materials that work well for the Dior line, so I think in that light he's been really successful there too.

So, regardless of whether you like or hate his work for his own line or the Dior house, I personally think this versatility is a reflection of his passion for design and he shines in both elements which very few have done, IMO.

Whether the movie is good or not is probably super subjective but certainly happy for Raf (even if it's somehow viewed as a sell out) because he's seemingly thriving and doing good things there.

Comment

• gregor
                  • Oct 2014

honestly, there's some validity to what you're saying, and i'd be remiss if i didn't concede that raf is at least making a conscious effort. to me, though, it falls flat. i don't think that his work has any of the artfulness that is needed to be anything beyond forgettable, which is a huge disservice to a house as legendary as dior. i think his versatility is shown in him being a designer in the first place (after studying furniture, though most art can translate at least a little to another), though not through his work for any of the traditional, bourgeoisie brands.

as for the movie, i don't think it means he's a sellout, as, with a lot of huge designers and houses (dior included and especially) the bottom line is of great importance beyond staying afloat. i'll watch it, but i'd keep any expectations in check.

Comment

• naturalalmonds
                    • Sep 2013

Well, having now seen the film I think it doesn't paint Raf as some kind of creative genius.

It's short in length and doesn't delve into very much detail, but at least covers at a broad level what went into putting out his first collection with Dior. For what I wanted to get out of the film, content wise, I found the One Look video on Vimeo more interesting (https://vimeo.com/118001344)

To summarize Raf's role in the collection as the film portrays it, he goes over archival materials, picks out a bunch pictures of what Dior's already achieved and then gives it to the atelier who does all the designing -- Raf's "right hand" (as he's credited) never sketches. Never. After that Raf approves some stuff, looks up some pictures of Sterling Ruby paintings on a computer and gets them made into fabric based on some other technique Dior's used before. Then the collection's done and Raf decorates a runway based on some piece by Koons. He drinks a Coke Zero and is adamant that he will not walk the entire runway after the show. On show day, he cries a few times and then waves at the clapping people and walks the entire runway after the show.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

The whole thing is a fucking feature-film-length commercial for Dior. I can't believe people are paying money to see this. Avant-garde marketing.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by naturalalmonds View Post
                        Well, having now seen the film I think it doesn't paint Raf as some kind of creative genius.

It's short in length and doesn't delve into very much detail, but at least covers at a broad level what went into putting out his first collection with Dior. For what I wanted to get out of the film, content wise, I found the One Look video on Vimeo more interesting (https://vimeo.com/118001344)

To summarize Raf's role in the collection as the film portrays it, he goes over archival materials, picks out a bunch pictures of what Dior's already achieved and then gives it to the atelier who does all the designing -- Raf's "right hand" (as he's credited) never sketches. Never. After that Raf approves some stuff, looks up some pictures of Sterling Ruby paintings on a computer and gets them made into fabric based on some other technique Dior's used before. Then the collection's done and Raf decorates a runway based on some piece by Koons. He drinks a Coke Zero and is adamant that he will not walk the entire runway after the show. On show day, he cries a few times and then waves at the clapping people and walks the entire runway after the show.
                        Amusingly enough this is pretty much exactly how I described his creative process for the collection when it first came out (minus the Coca Zero and walking bullshit).
                        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• GucciAmen
                          • Sep 2014

Few films I've watched recently:

Children of Paradise-French cinema's magnum opus

Rushmore-Now my favourite Wes Anderson film

Notorious-I liked Rear Window/Vertigo more, but this is another masterpiece by Alfred Hitchcock

Kind Hearts and Coronets-Fantastic black comedy British film

Comment

• imblurredout
                            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
                            Notorious-I liked Rear Window/Vertigo more, but this is another masterpiece by Alfred Hitchcock
                            If you're serious about Hitchcock, check out "The Lodger". Hitchcock's true masterpieces are his silents. Regardless of it being a Hitchcock, it's a great take on German Expressionism. Costumes/set design are super rad.

Comment

• GucciAmen
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by imblurredout View Post
                              If you're serious about Hitchcock, check out "The Lodger". Hitchcock's true masterpieces are his silents. Regardless of it being a Hitchcock, it's a great take on German Expressionism. Costumes/set design are super rad.
                              Thanks for the suggestion, I'll watch it tonight.

Currently I'm watching Ivan the Terrible Part One by Eisenstein, just the score alone is great--with Prokofiev being the film's composer.

Comment

• Verdandi
                                • Mar 2012

So anything worth watching from Cannes so far?
                                I haven't really been keeping up and only heard that the new van Sant iwas rather lacking in just about everything.

I saw the new Mad Max yesterday. Was exactly as advertised: Explosions, movement for movements sake, more vehicles exploding, the bad guy having a heavy metal battle band that followed him around, Charlize Theron kicking everyone's ass. did I mention things exploding?

Early Rick would have made nice costumes for this.
                                lavender menace

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎