X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unwashed
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Saw Mad Max yesterday. Two hours of unadulterated, relentless, imbecility. No acting, no dialogue, nothing. I don't understand how you guys like this. And I really don't understand how critics liked it. I did not care for its aesthetics either, with the exception of blue mud scenes - but aesthetics couldn't save this video game on steroids masquerading as a movie. This to the Mad Max franchise is what the Hobbit is to the Lord of the Rings.
    The "no acting, no dialoque" is in line with the first 2 movie then

I found it quite entertaining, but I do enjoy gaming...
    It fits nowadays remakes like Total recall, Dredd, etc..
    Grailed link

Comment

• beyondthemeans
      • Sep 2008

Anyone had the chance to see the new Gaspar Noe film, Love, yet?

Comment

• Ahimsa
        Vegan Police
        • Sep 2011

Recently saw:

Mad Max - did not live up to the other films. HOWEVER, the use of over 80% practical effects, stunts and makeup made me extremely happy. Especially after Jackson's terrible CGI fest that was the Hobbit following the makeup/costume heavy LOTR. Practical effects are sadly a dying breed :(

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. - closer to the recent Richie films (Sherlock Holmes) than my favorites, RocknRolla and Snatch. So, unfortunately missing a bit of the old flair, however, better than the Holmes films. I found it in the same vein as Archer (the FX series). I did love the smugness of the main character.

Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter - very bizarre dark comedy. Based on an urban legend of a Japanese women who believed the treasure in Fargo (the movie) was real, so ventures to America to find it. Which is based on a true story of a Japanese women who actually did venture out there. Yeah. I enjoyed it for very particular reasons. Additionally, the pacing is good and the movie is not too long, which is exactly the opposite of most films nowadays.
        Last edited by Ahimsa; 09-13-2015, 11:36 PM.
        StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• eleves
          • Sep 2012

I think Mad Max was enjoyable because it was just so ridiculously over the top and grotesque! It's like something Rob Zombie would make, who I am not really a fan of, but it's this weird creepy carnival vibe that I don't really submit myself to all of the time
          Originally posted by Faust
          HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Maybe ten minutes of that would be fine. But I'd like to see a shred of thought in a two-hour period. I can't just stare at a video game for so long without the ability to play it.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
              Mad Max - did not live up to the other films. HOWEVER, the use of over 80% practical effects, stunts and makeup made me extremely happy. Especially after Jackson's terrible CGI fest that was the Hobbit following the makeup/costume heavy LOTR. Practical effects are sadly a dying breed :(
              This is kind of a complicated discussion in regards to what can be considered practical or not. I'd put it this way, many of the effects were practical but I would not say the majority of the film was shot in-camera:

One of the big Hollywood blockbusters to hit the silver screen this year has been Mad Max: Fury Road, which has gotten rave reviews, with many praising

However the degree to which this technique was pushed worked in its favor as we got something quite otherworldly looking.

Faust, it's definitely ridiculous fare but I assure you if you revisit the other films they have about as much social commentary to them. Think of it as a little David Attenborough romp -- here are the natives of this desolate shithole, their only remaining hope is to be witnessed as heroes. Which has a very different meaning for Furiosa as it does for the cultist henchmen and Joe. Max does not understand this motivation as he's supposed to evoke the freedom of madness. It's not particularly deep but I think as an entertainment showpiece it works well. In the end Max's motivation to help the women escape sexual slavery seems to be linked to his motivation to erase the memory of his dead daughter, or at least come to some terms or completion with it. In this world children are a dangerous commodity.

Comment

• Law
                • Dec 2013

This is amazing. French film editor manages to seamlessly edit every nightclub scene from a slew of classics into one new scene!

Hell's Club:

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                  • Sep 2015

Criterion flash sale going on right now, kiddies. Use SUZY for 50% off everything in your cart.
                  who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

RIP Chantal Akerman
                    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• swami
                      • Jul 2008

A beautiful film

Comment

• galia
                        • Jun 2009

a cinema game

http://popcorngarage.com/

Comment

• Ahimsa
                          Vegan Police
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by galia View Post
                          The movies they chose for this really confused me. It's a weird mix of cult and classic.

Comment

• galia
                            • Jun 2009

I know! Still kinda fun

Comment

• Ahimsa
                              Vegan Police
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by galia View Post
                              I know! Still kinda fun
                              Totally. (there were only a couple movies in there I haven't seen)

I would like to see more versions of it narrowed down to like…just 80s B movies.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                                • Jul 2013

Martian was awful. Trite garbage. I saw it in one of those AMC dine-in theaters and sat next to a middle-aged normie dad who laughed at all of the hamfisted jokes as he chowed down on his fish tacos. Being surrounded by mainstream American pop culture and its target audience in a bloated dine-in theater was like an exercise in public loneliness. But the chicken quinoa bowl was good, and the seats were super comfy. Art theaters never have seats that comfortable.
                                bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎