Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mezeinee
    • Apr 2015

If you enjoyed Tree of Life you'd be probably amazed by Knight of Cups. It's way more sleek, the way the camera smoothly glides through designer appartments... So the theme really matched Malick's Style. But you also feel his interested in denial. There is no beauty in the shots of the desert, which rather show how monotonous even nature is. Also the constant repetition of certain camera angles, movements, shots of people wandering through the water at the beach. And last but not least that apathetic Christian Bale.

What is "dinosaur sympathy"?
    https://t.me/pump_upp

Comment

• Arkady
      • Apr 2011

Quite literally the scene with the dinosaur exhibiting sympathy for its fallen bro.

Isn't King of Cups about dejection and apathy amidst success? Sounds successful, no? I'll try to get around to it sometime this week.

Comment

• Mezeinee
        • Apr 2015

A dinosaur in Tree of Life? Wow, I really must have suppressed some memories...

True. But after one hour you find yourself saying 'Alright, I got it' and there's still two hours to go.
        https://t.me/pump_upp

Comment

• Arkady
          • Apr 2011

It's in one of the atemporal / primordial cosmic sequences that run parallel to the protagonists life, I think he meant to show the birthplace of empathy and compassion on Earth and tie it into Jack's adolescence.

Comment

• 550BC
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
            Woot?? One of my favourite books and I missed the film? Someone chime in if they've seen it already.
            same here.. If I'm correct it premiered this month in London. Not sure which cinemas are screening it though.. Definitely in London
            a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Arkady
              • Apr 2011

Wheatley's a goddamn genius as well, I need to see this immediately.

Comment

• malaesthetique
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Calm View Post
                Sicario was very cool. Cinematography was massive, and the dramatic scenes were very well engineered to add intensity - they didn't feel formulaic like some films where you can clearly tell because of an obvious musical cue where the dramatic part was supposed to be. Instead, there would be a lot of droning background noise that would very gradually build up to become almost unbearable, which causes you to stress some and eventually get more and more into the intensity of the film.
                Loved the soundtrack and the way he suspends certain senses throughout the film--Not sure how I feel about the harsh pragmatism of the narrative however, but this is my own ideological struggle.

Comment

• 550BC
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                  Wheatley's a goddamn genius as well, I need to see this immediately.
                  you can watch it in 1080p HD here http://dugeltv.com/play.php?movie=0462335&z=0P3M
                  a fish out of water dies

Comment

• Arkady
                    • Apr 2011

Cheers for that.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Also saw Inside Llewyn Davis. Definitely the weakest Coen bros work, though obviously not without moments of fabulous wit and absurdity. John Goodman delivered yet again.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by malaesthetique View Post
                        Loved the soundtrack and the way he suspends certain senses throughout the film--Not sure how I feel about the harsh pragmatism of the narrative however, but this is my own ideological struggle.
                        Should I watch it? Not sure I can stand another "man is just an animal who does what he must to survive and even prosper" blablabla type of film.
                        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Arkady
                          • Apr 2011

Villeneuve tends to be a little more dimensional than that, thank god.

Comment

• malaesthetique
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                            Should I watch it? Not sure I can stand another "man is just an animal who does what he must to survive and even prosper" blablabla type of film.
                            The way sound and image come together and are torn apart is great. Villeneuve really manipulates the audience by stripping away audio, then visual, and this reinforces the lack of control the characters have in the big picture. I'd say check it out, but don't expect to be blown away by anything other than the design and texture. Capitulation and complicity is the final takeaway.

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                              • Sep 2015

Trying to branch out from the Criterion Collection for the "obscure" to relinquish my pleb status for film. I've been looking to Gregor's post as a guiding light - I've got three Béla Tarr films waiting to be watched on my nightstand and Miklós Jancso's The Red and the White on the way. I'm also somewhat curious about Apichatpong Weerasethakul with Tropical Malady and Uncle Boonmee. Do you cultured people have recommendations?
                              who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ADreamofBlue View Post
                                Trying to branch out from the Criterion Collection for the "obscure" to relinquish my pleb status for film. I've been looking to Gregor's post as a guiding light - I've got three Béla Tarr films waiting to be watched on my nightstand and Miklós Jancso's The Red and the White on the way. I'm also somewhat curious about Apichatpong Weerasethakul with Tropical Malady and Uncle Boonmee. Do you cultured people have recommendations?
                                My recommendation is to stock up on Red Bull.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎