X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Saw The Revenant tonight. HOLY SHIT. You have to see it in a theater. The cinematography director will get a Oscar for sure. Haven't been hit over the head by a movie like that in a long time.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Law
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Saw The Revenant tonight. HOLY SHIT. You have to see it in a theater. The cinematography director will get a Oscar for sure. Haven't been hit over the head by a movie like that in a long time.
      Is this the one where DiCaprio gets buggered by a bear?

Comment

• Arkady
        • Apr 2011

Indeed, it's spectacular. Altogether different tone but The Big Short was excellent as well.

Comment

• Ahimsa
          Vegan Police
          • Sep 2011

Watched The Danish Girl recently. Beautifully shot. I'd recommend if you need a good cry. Definitely Oscar bait though.

Iñárritu keeps pushing the envelope with his cinematography, however, I always find his movie's plots/writing to be relatively average. Does The Revenant break this or is it still all about the cinematography?
          StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Mezeinee
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
            Watched The Danish Girl recently. Beautifully shot. I'd recommend if you need a good cry. Definitely Oscar bait though.

Iñárritu keeps pushing the envelope with his cinematography, however, I always find his movie's plots/writing to be relatively average. Does The Revenant break this or is it still all about the cinematography?
            Well, director of cinematography is Rodrigo Prieto in all of his films. So shouldn't you give him credit for that?
            Inarritu is obviously surrounded by some capable people (eg Gustavo Santaolalla).
            The plots keep getting worse though. Last one I watched was Biutiful.
            https://t.me/pump_upp

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

The story line is quite conventional, so you'll be disappointed if you go looking only for that. And there are some elegiac moments that might make you cringe (the main character's dream sequences). But the direction, cinematography, and acting elevate it to a completely different level.

Originally posted by Mezeinee View Post
              Well, director of cinematography is Rodrigo Prieto in all of his films. So shouldn't you give him credit for that?
              Inarritu is obviously surrounded by some capable people (eg Gustavo Santaolalla).
              The plots keep getting worse though. Last one I watched was Biutiful.
              For this film the cinematographer was Emmanuel Lebezki. And, no, not all credit goes to him. You will understand that when you see the jaw-dropping opening action sequence.

Maybe I have a soft spot for Innaritu, but I have yet to see a bad film by him. I think they are all fantastic. Yes, you can see some of his elements as melodramatic, but to me that's just a completely cynical approach to art and life. I am no new age meditating yogi, but life completely without spirituality is mere existence. Innaritu is an earnest filmmaker and he takes his work, and this part of his work very seriously.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Mezeinee
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                For this film the cinematographer was Emmanuel Lebezki. And, no, not all credit goes to him. You will understand that when you see the jaw-dropping opening action sequence.

Maybe I have a soft spot for Innaritu, but I have yet to see a bad film by him. I think they are all fantastic. Yes, you can see some of his elements as melodramatic, but to me that's just a completely cynical approach to art and life. I am no new age meditating yogi, but life completely without spirituality is mere existence. Innaritu is an earnest filmmaker and he takes his work, and this part of his work very seriously.
                Of course, not all credit goes to him. But cinematographers are too often overlooked imo.

I loved Babel as a young teenager, when I wrote my first little film review in the school magazine about Babel. Now, I dislike it for the same reason: I noted that the film showed how different people around the world drag each other into tragedy (as they don't speak the same language and live according to different/contrary worldviews etc.) but "deep inside" we all feel the same emotions, speak the same language of "human needs". And with that I was probably pretty much in line with the usual interpretation.

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                  • Sep 2015

Saw Todd Haynes' Safe twice - once with commentary, once without. The commentary pretty much reaffirmed that my interpretations were correct. Watching the film was quite nostalgic for me, with its collage of teals and pinks.
                  who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

• Ahimsa
                    Vegan Police
                    • Sep 2011

Of course, not all credit goes to him. But cinematographers are too often overlooked imo.
                    Emmanuel Lebezki also did Birdman.

As he works with multiple cinematographers, what we are seeing in his movies are his vision, with many talented hands to help realize it.
                    But yes, I may have been remiss to not mention the cinematographer, but should one also not mention the cameramen who were able to capture it in the first place? Like with Alexander McQueen, who had a network of wonderful talents throughout his career, we are aware that such feats wouldn't have been realized without that vision.

I would not say that Lebezki is overlooked. He has won 2 consecutive academy awards.
                    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Mezeinee
                      • Apr 2015

Emmanuel Lebezki also did Birdman.

As he works with multiple cinematographers, what we are seeing in his movies are his vision, with many talented hands to help realize it.
                      But yes, I may have been remiss to not mention the cinematographer, but should one also not mention the cameramen who were able to capture it in the first place? Like with Alexander McQueen, who had a network of wonderful talents throughout his career, we are aware that such feats wouldn't have been realized without that vision.

I would not say that Lebezki is overlooked. He has won 2 consecutive academy awards.
                      Alright, some things I have to admit: I didn't see any of Inarritu's works after Biutiful, I don't know Lebezki and I also stopped catching up on the oscars.
                      We can almost never be sure who contributed how much to the finished work. I was just throwing in the name of the cinematographer as he was continuously working with Inarritu and I feel like actors and directors somehow seem to have a sole claim to being credited, in discussions and even more in public/advertisement. Like, there are academy awards for everything but who cares? All that matters is lead/supporting/director/film.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

I loved Babel as a young teenager, when I wrote my first little film review in the school magazine about Babel. Now, I dislike it for the same reason: I noted that the film showed how different people around the world drag each other into tragedy (as they don't speak the same language and live according to different/contrary worldviews etc.) but "deep inside" we all feel the same emotions, speak the same language of "human needs". And with that I was probably pretty much in line with the usual interpretation.
                        Cinematographers may be overlooked by the general public, but certainly not by the industry - the way a talented pattern maker in fashion will always land a great job.

I loved Babel as a thirty-year old and I still love it. The critics found it too melodramatic - whatever. I know enough about Innaritu to know that some bullshit kumbaya "human anthill" was not the vision he was after.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• round
                          • Aug 2015

Saw The Hateful Eight, holy fuck...

Comment

• Mezeinee
                            • Apr 2015

Saw Mistress America yesterday. Not the kind of film I normally look for but I read a good review and.. it was very entertaining

Comment

• round
                              • Aug 2015

Any recommendations for good horror films, I think I have seen most if not all of them, but hopefully someone can help out.

Also looking for dystopian movies similar to Brazil.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by round View Post
                                Any recommendations for good horror films, I think I have seen most if not all of them, but hopefully someone can help out.

Also looking for dystopian movies similar to Brazil.
                                Re: Brasil - try Delicatessen and City of Lost Children - early Jeunet films.
                                Well, and maybe 12 Monkeys?

The only good horror film I know is 28 Days Later.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎