X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrbeuys
    • May 2008

Originally posted by SuE View Post
    Did you see the 70mm extended version (the version with an intermission)?
    Didn't know there was another version than the 3 hour 7 minutes one. Although I didn't get to see the full 70mm projection due to it being a preview so it was a digital.
    Don't think a lot of places can actually project Ultra Panavision 70. And it allegedly costs around $80k to upgrade each screen.
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Arkady
      • Apr 2011

Yeah and the shipping costs / complexity of setup are absolutely insane to boot, check out this feature on how Interstellar was screened in 70mm: http://nofilmschool.com/2014/11/chri...0mm-you-should

There's usually at least one theater that can do 70mm in any major city, but it's becoming more popular as theaters are moving into a high fidelity model of providing an experience you simply can't replicate with netflix at home.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

R.I.P. Alan Rickman - an incredible portrayal of Snape in the Harry Potter films.

Also, 12 Oscar nominations for The Revenant - take that you naysayers.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• beyondthemeans
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          I suppose the work of Jodorowsky would suit your needs - El Topo, Holy Mountain, etc. Actually, I haven't seen any of them (a sin!), so maybe I should've even be recommending them, but that's prime viewing on the hipster, I-know-cult-cinema circuit.
          Jodorowsky is one of my favorite directors, but starting with Holy Mountain or El Topo is not recommended (might be a bit too much for an introduction to his world). I would rather start with his last movie, "La Danza de la Realidad", which was (imo) the most watchable and easy of his whole repertoire - nevertheless very good.

Comment

• galia
            • Jun 2009

I disagree, I think the holy mountain is the best introduction, provided you know something about occult sciences and cheesy mysticism

el topo is visually bad ass, if you're drawn to a more spaghetti western aesthetic, you'll love it

I found santa sangre unwatchable, super boring, kinda ugly and not in a good way

la danza dela realidad had some amazing bits but lots of boring weak bits as well, definitely not his best work

Comment

• galia
              • Jun 2009

Also in a similar vein, check out Kenneth Anger

Other film makers come to mind like Cocteau, early Bunuel, some Guy Maddin, some Sokurov...

This list has some good suggestions: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls057878267/

Comment

• mrbeuys
                • May 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                Also, 12 Oscar nominations for The Revenant - take that you naysayers.
                Saw it yesterday and first reaction was "wow". Cinematography is masterful but in hindsight I am not 100% convinced anymore by the rest.
                And the Oscar ( and BAFTA ) nominations in general are baffling to me. Fassbender and Redmayne have no place in he best actor categories this year. And how The Martian, while thoroughly enjoyable, is on any list beyond the technical ones is beyond me.
                Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Arkady
                  • Apr 2011

It's interesting, I loved the film but the cinematography isn't really "masterful" because it was gripped by god and is partially owed to a strong AD department. Half the usual work of cinematography was done by nature since they only used natural light.

Sicario should take it.

I would, however, be shocked if Hardy doesn't take supporting actor -- though Bale was extremely strong in The Big Short.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                    ... because it was gripped by god.

Although, stand in any amazing spot and look at geotagged pictures taken in the same spot and you will find God can't do all the work.

Comment

• round
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
                      Charlie Kauffman's work -- Synecdoche, New York
                      I absolutely loved this movie, thank you so much for the recommendation, I will now have to check out his other work.

Comment

• Arkady
                        • Apr 2011

Fucking incredible piece of work, I can't believe it doesn't get more attention. Emotionally crushing, though. Can you believe that was Charlie Kauffman's first time directing?

Comment

• ADreamofBlue
                          • Sep 2015

I rewatched Synecdoche recently. I was WAY too young when I first watched it (I was 15, I believe). It was just all flying over my head back then, but upon my rewatch... man, what a great film. The artificial tears bit was the epitome of black humor in that film.
                          who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                            Saw it yesterday and first reaction was "wow". Cinematography is masterful but in hindsight I am not 100% convinced anymore by the rest.
                            And the Oscar ( and BAFTA ) nominations in general are baffling to me. Fassbender and Redmayne have no place in he best actor categories this year. And how The Martian, while thoroughly enjoyable, is on any list beyond the technical ones is beyond me.
                            True - 10 nominations for a video game in a movie format.

Also agreed about the Martian. It should get only one Oscar - for playing I Will Survive during the end credits - too brilliant.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• GucciAmen
                              • Sep 2014

Enjoyed my first Eric Rohmer film two nights ago, decided to kick it off with My Night at Maud's -- thought it was incredibly potent in its delivery of philosophical musings (seems to be more of a vehicle for Rohmer's ideologies than otherwise, which I have no problem with). The discourse between the main character: Jean-Louise and his friend are reason enough to watch the film, let alone the analyses of morality, religion, and atheism -and how they all tie together - that indirectly arise out of the relations between the Jean-Louise and the permiscuous Maud.

I think I'm going to watch Claire's Knee next,

On a side note, would anyone care to comment on Yasujiro Ozu's last film: An Autumn Afternoon? It seems like another one of his classic dissections on familial relations in post-imperial Japan? I've seen just about every other film of his on this subject, like Late Spring, Early Summer, Tokyo Story... wondering if I should bother to search for this film as well -- does it bring anything new to the table?
                              Last edited by GucciAmen; 01-16-2016, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• Cantara
                                • Mar 2015

Went to see The Revenant a few days back, I really enjoyed it, the cinematography was amazing and the costume choices were phenomenal.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎