X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GucciAmen
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
    Yes. It always is if the piece is being presented in a 70mm print, but especially yes.
    I recall hearing that there were widespread technical difficulties - i.e. cutting out within 15 minutes of ending, film actually burning - during the initial release -- perhaps theatres can handle the film better now?

Additionally, my theatre could only provide the digital version and it was beautiful on it's own.

Comment

• Arkady
      • Apr 2011

Off the top of my head The Master and Interstellar both had wide 70mm print releases in recent years so I imagine they're still perfecting the handling. I don't know if you saw the short doc I posted on the last page but the logistics of handling these prints are quite outside the scope of what most theaters can deal with. I know Weinstein pushed to add a lot of new theaters to the network of locations equipped for the format so these are likely growing pains.

In general this is where we will see theaters heading in the next 5 years, higher and higher fidelity to outshine the home streaming experience.

Comment

• thinbuddha
        • Jul 2011

anyone going to see the witch next week?

SUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/A24subscribeOn February 19th, evil takes many forms. From writer/director Robert Eggers and starring Anya Taylor-Joy, Kate Dickie, R...

Comment

• Arkady
          • Apr 2011

Definitely very curious, I may if reviews suggest it deserves the screen size.

Comment

• unwashed
            • Dec 2008

Since the Martian I've been into sci-fi movies lately and especially the survival types. Seen Moon, Europa Report, Solaris and Pandorum lately. Liked them all (also liked them best in that order). Gonna watch Sunshine, Event Horizon and Red Planet next. You guys have any other recommendations?
            Grailed link

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

The Sphere. Which is actually, if you think the film through, based on the same premise as Stalker.

Also, Terminator and Alien, haha ;)
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• unwashed
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                The Sphere. Which is actually, if you think the film through, based on the same premise as Stalker.

Also, Terminator and Alien, haha ;)
                Yes Alien of course! and the Sphere vaguely rings a bell. Might have watched it when it came out. Good to rewatch these as well, thanks. Only recollection from Alien I have is from Alien 3.
                Grailed link

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Aliens is where it's at! Pure Cameron - machismo (from women, too), big esoteric guns, evil corporate guys, and great special effects.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shifts
                    • Jul 2013

I always had a soft spot for the first half of Pitch Black (2000). Also Monsters (maybe more apocalypse than sci-fi but will mention it, since it often seems overlooked) from 2010.

Comment

• Shifts
                      • Jul 2013

Aliens is where it's at! Pure Cameron - machismo (from women, too), big esoteric guns, evil corporate guys, and great special effects.
                      Oh yes! The past few weeks I have been revisiting Alien and Aliens via all different kinds of documentaries I've been able to dig up on Youtube. Pure pleasure. All the in-camera effects used just makes it sad to watch more recent CGI bonanza.

Comment

• MoFiya
                        • Sep 2007

How was Love by Gaspar Noé by the way? I unfortunately missed it. It was shown only in 3D, right? Worth watching at home?
                        I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                        But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Law
                          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by unwashed View Post
                          Since the Martian I've been into sci-fi movies lately and especially the survival types. Seen Moon, Europa Report, Solaris and Pandorum lately. Liked them all (also liked them best in that order). Gonna watch Sunshine, Event Horizon and Red Planet next. You guys have any other recommendations?
                          Aliens Directors cut and Star Gate.

Comment

• Arkady
                            • Apr 2011

Never see anyone else recommending this but it's one of my favorite films -- the low reviews and ratings have always puzzled me.

Comment

• unwashed
                              • Dec 2008

Really enjoyed watching the Alien trilogy. Enjoyed Aliens most. Watched Alien 3 yesterday and must say I saw a lot of Drkshdw: Jumbo sweaters, hoodies, Exploder Parka's and bombers, combat boots. Of course these are military staples, but maybe this is where some of the inspiration for Drkshdw line is coming from.

Also Sphere is of my list, although not in space still a nice alien survivor movie.
                              Grailed link

Comment

• underdog
                                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
                                How was Love by Gaspar Noé by the way? I unfortunately missed it. It was shown only in 3D, right? Worth watching at home?
                                On the subject of Gaspar I saw Philippe Grandrieux's Malgré la nuit at Rotterdam and the experience was very similar to his Enter The Void. Malgré la nuit felt like watching Inland Empire if Philippe Garrel had co-directed it with Lynch. Seek it out if you're a Gaspar fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎