Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thinbuddha
    • Jul 2011

@mofiya plan on watching this weekend. i think it's on netflix right now.

anyone interested in the witch this weekend? i'm traveling but will be back in nyc next week. plan on catching it.

Comment

• mikko
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
      How was Love by Gaspar NoƩ by the way? I unfortunately missed it. It was shown only in 3D, right? Worth watching at home?
      Well, it becomes painfully obvious throughout the course of the film that professional actors would never nut on screen.

Comment

• eleves
        • Sep 2012

Saw The Witch last night and I thought it was really well done. It's one of those films that just give you a consistent sense of unease throughout its course and even leaves that with you after it has ended. Super, super creepy and the more you know about Crucible era witchcraft or even life in 1600s New England, the more the movie makes sense and gets under your skin. All in all, I think it is a must see for anyone into horror or fringe period pieces. The costume design and fashion was also very interesting and a clear influence to and from many designers that are discussed on SZ.
        Originally posted by Faust
        HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by thinbuddha View Post

anyone interested in the witch this weekend? i'm traveling but will be back in nyc next week. plan on catching it.
          Thanks for the heads up.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• augustinn
            • Sep 2013

Did not find the Witch on Netflix..

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

He was talking about Love.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jun 2014

Originally posted by eleves View Post
                Saw The Witch last night and I thought it was really well done. It's one of those films that just give you a consistent sense of unease throughout its course and even leaves that with you after it has ended. Super, super creepy and the more you know about Crucible era witchcraft or even life in 1600s New England, the more the movie makes sense and gets under your skin. All in all, I think it is a must see for anyone into horror or fringe period pieces. The costume design and fashion was also very interesting and a clear influence to and from many designers that are discussed on SZ.
                I caught Eggers' The Witch this weekend at BAM and loved it! The movie is packed full of brilliant costumes, impressive dialogue, and historically recounted folklore symbolism. The director's passion for colonial New England and mythology was apparent the entire time. I definitely recommend seeing it in the theater.

Comment

• thinbuddha
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by 1994 View Post
                  I definitely recommend seeing it in the theater.
                  great! i'm going to hit a matinee today since i have the day off. love the atmosphere it's portraying.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Watched The Big Short and Trumbo. Both excellent.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
                      Vegan Police
                      • Sep 2011

Saw The Witch. Was pretty cool. The best parts were the sound and cinematography. Wasn't as much of a thriller as it appeared, more like a beautiful dark folktale. There was just something missing, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Probably didn't help that the landscape just looked like a flatter version of where I'm from, so kind of desensitized to the drabness of it all.
                      StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• gregor
                        • Oct 2014

wondering if anyone has caught where to invade next? definitely a different vein from most other current releases, but nevertheless a good movie if you're into moore's style, which i can appreciate, even if it can be a bit preachy at times.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Moore means well, but he often devolves into demagoguery. I suppose sometimes you need poetic license to make a point.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gregor
                            • Oct 2014

you can't always appeal to reason, especially with the audience moore has. emotional appeal, maybe even a touch of demagoguery has a place in documentaries, especially for the big screen.

i think it panders to that a lot less than, say, fahrenheit 9/11. it reminds me a lot more of say roger & me, which is an emotional appeal but not without substance.

Comment

• Jtothewhat
                              • Oct 2014

Finally got around to watching two films that I had wanted to see for quite some time. Le Tout Nouveau Testament (The Brand New Testament) and Wild Tales. Both were exceptionally well done.

Wild Tales especially had my sides hurting from laughter, a series of short stories based in Argentina with a dark comedic spin that I think most on SZ would enjoy.

The Brand New Testament made me want to find other Belgian films, the only one I have ever seen until now is Bullhead which was also very good. Anyone have any other recommendations?

Comment

• mne
                                • Mar 2016

I recently watched The New Girlfriend by my favourite Francois Ozon. Has anyone seen it?

Nothing beats Young and Beautiful and In the House, though I haven't gone through the whole filmography yet..

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎