Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ADreamofBlue
    • Sep 2015

I wouldn't say everything is available for streaming, legally that is. This applies to the "artsier" side of film duly. Mind you, I don't pirate/torrent. Streaming can still be lossy, and you always need a stable internet connection. Streaming sites can also still be lacking in their selection, which is why I'll only have a Netflix account for a month then cancel it until another year goes by when they upload a season of a show I care about.

My friend, whose knowledge of cinema is that of a savant's, will recommend me films and I trust his judgment which leads to blind buys on Criterion and the like. If I truly love a film, I'll keep it around; i.e. if I see myself wanting to return to it for many years to come. However, I have no trouble selling them off if I don't like something I've bought. I've also come to appreciate all the special features and the booklets included. I view my purchasing of these discs as a more solid form of support to the companies who license these properties for NA distribution.

It makes less sense to purchase CDs and books by your rationale because they're virtually all available in the form of streams or eBooks, no? I think mileage varies though, from person to person, as you point out. I perhaps don't have a good reason, other than my like of tangibility and the sheer convenience of just pulling out a disc and putting it in a player. Tangibility is the same reason why I still buy CDs and physical books.

EDIT: I'm not sure if you're strictly talking about the availability of media online, or the convenience of paying a monthly fee for a streaming site.
    Last edited by ADreamofBlue; 07-17-2016, 02:09 PM.
    who slips in to my body and whispers to my ghost?

Comment

• matglenn
      • Jun 2016

Been watching a lot of animation recently, if anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear them!

Watching The Triplets of Belleville tonight

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Fair enough, ADreamOfBlue!

With regards to CDs, as I said, I play them hundreds, if not thousands of times. I doubt I've seen any film more than five times.
        With regards to books, it's a prolonged experience of reading (and easier on the eyes - I don't like reading on the iPad and I don't want to invest in an e-reader), so it's still different than a DVD.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• absintheparty
          • May 2013

Originally posted by matglenn View Post
          Been watching a lot of animation recently, if anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear them!

I'll pick a few with a large range of styles:

Waltz with Bashir
          Fantastic Planet
          It's Such a Beautiful Day
          Ryan (https://www.nfb.ca/film/ryan/)

Comment

• eleves
            • Sep 2012

Spirited Away is a must see (if you haven't seen it) and may even bring you further into Studio Ghibli's work! All really good stuff, and that being said, you might find yourself opening up to a whole new world of Japanese animation.
            Originally posted by Faust
            HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• Ahimsa
              Vegan Police
              • Sep 2011

[youtube]
              Got you gurl.

Anything from Studio Ghibli really (though go for Miyazaki of course)
              The Thief and the Cobbler (there are many versions out there due to it's crazy production hell)
              Perfect Blue
              Belladonna of Sadness
              Angel's Egg
              Ghost in the Shell
              Paprika
              Tekkonkinkreet
              Tokyo Godfathers
              Millennium Actress
              Memories
              Grave of the Fireflies (Ghibli, but not Miyazaki)
              Akira
              Jin-Roh
              Persepolis
              Metropolis
              Havoc in Heaven

(mostly anime really)

Big Fish and Begonia just came out in China and it looks quite beautiful, but I haven't seen it yet. It's based off of one of the many stories from the taoist book of Zhuangzi. It took something like 12 years to get made.

Some random old-school fun sloppy stuff:
              Heavy Metal
              Fire and Ice
              Wizards
              The Hobbit
              Last edited by Ahimsa; 07-20-2016, 06:10 PM.
              StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• matglenn
                • Jun 2016

@Ahimsa @eleves @absintheparty

Thanks so much for all of selections! Looking forward to going through all of them :)

Comment

• Jtothewhat
                  • Oct 2014

One of my favourite animations is Persepolis .

Comment

• TheLoudLine
                    • Feb 2014

@Ahimsa

Recently re-watched Metropolis, still one of my favourites, especially the finale.

Comment

• amulet
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
                      Belladonna of Sadness
                      Angel's Egg
                      Tekkonkinkreet
                      I have so much love for these three films.
                      Especially Angel's Egg. I'm a big fan of Yoshitaka Amano's work!

Nice to see another fan of Belladonna of Sadness too, it's such a strange & beautiful film.

Speaking of anime: anything by Makoto Shinkai is worth watching, especially 5cm Per Second & Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

Some of my other favourite animated movies are Song of The Sea & The Secret of Kells by filmmaker Tomm Moore.
                      Both of those are gorgeous representations of classic Irish and Celtic folk stories. I highly recommend them!

Also, has anyone watched the short film series 'KIN FABLES'? I'm really looking forward to the feature length adaptation 'The Sad Prince'... Hopefully we won't have to wait that long!
                      Last edited by amulet; 07-29-2016, 01:48 AM.

Comment

• matglenn
                        • Jun 2016

Been enjoying the animation recommendations.

I recently have been watching a lot of Wong Kar-wai's films. Watched 'Fallen Angels' last night, I would strongly recommend it! The cinematography is like none other, the way the characters are composed I feel is very intimate and vulnerable. The film moved at a very consistent speed, never felt overwhelmed or underwhelmed. Amazing soundtrack as well. It's just so good!!

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Nothing beast In The Mood for Love. Actually, I need to watch it on my new TV. Must be whole over level of stunning. Those dresses, my god...
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
                            Vegan Police
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by TheLoudLine View Post
                            @Ahimsa

Recently re-watched Metropolis, still one of my favourites, especially the finale.

Originally posted by amulet View Post
                            I have so much love for these three films.
                            Especially Angel's Egg. I'm a big fan of Yoshitaka Amano's work!

Nice to see another fan of Belladonna of Sadness too, it's such a strange & beautiful film.

Speaking of anime: anything by Makoto Shinkai is worth watching, especially 5cm Per Second & Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

Some of my other favourite animated movies are Song of The Sea & The Secret of Kells by filmmaker Tomm Moore.
                            Both of those are gorgeous representations of classic Irish and Celtic folk stories. I highly recommend them!
                            Ah, I completely forgot to include 5cm in my list haha
                            I would also highly recommend 'The Girl Who Leapt Through Time' (the animation - there's a live action version as well.)

If you're into Irish/Celtic folktales I'd give 'Ondine' a try. Live action, but a really interesting take on the selkie legend.

Been enjoying the animation recommendations.

I recently have been watching a lot of Wong Kar-wai's films. Watched 'Fallen Angels' last night, I would strongly recommend it! The cinematography is like none other, the way the characters are composed I feel is very intimate and vulnerable. The film moved at a very consistent speed, never felt overwhelmed or underwhelmed. Amazing soundtrack as well. It's just so good!!
                            I highly recommend against watching Wong Kar-wai's newer film 'The Grandmaster'...was a disappointing take on the wuxia genre. Some beautiful imagery though...
                            It's another take on the whole Ip Man craze.
                            StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• GucciAmen
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              Nothing beast In The Mood for Love. Actually, I need to watch it on my new TV. Must be whole over level of stunning. Those dresses, my god...
                              Loved this film, beautiful shooting.

Comment

• upsilonkng
                                • May 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                What did u think of the sequel ? I think I'm one of the few that liked it. But partly because of situations at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎