X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

I watched The Fog of War. Meh. I don't know why they made it at all. Was it so McNamara could weep and pay penance for all the violence and atrocities committed with his blessing?</p>

Then I watched Ratatoille. (sp?) It was very cute, but not as great as the critics blew it up to be (yea, I know, it's a Pixar cartoon, what was I expecting?). I do like the main theme of the rat rising to new cultural heights even though it alienates him from the rest of the pack and makes him look like a snob. Very High Modern - Postmodern divide; gotta love it.</p>

Borat is next. I figured I have to watch it eventually.</p>
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
      • Oct 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user="Faust"]

I watched The Fog of War. Meh. I don't know why they made it at all. Was it so McNamara could weep and pay penance for all the violence and atrocities committed with his blessing?</P>[/quote]<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>There are some pretty interesting articles on the directors site on Fog of War and what the project was to him, it made the film, after having read it, more of a study of human morality. There were some other interesting points, I particularly find his discussion of explanation vs. excuse, the breakdown of McNamara's theories about the complexity of war being merely another way of saying "the fog of war ate my homework," why McNamara decided to devote 20 hours instead of 1 to the director.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Watched No Country for Old Men the other day and really enjoyed it, but I must admit to being a bit of a sucked for the Coen brothers. Always glad to see them return to Blood Simple / Fargo territory.</DIV>
      WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Tiger
        Banned
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]i think Murnau's Sunrise, his first american film which won the first academy award for best film in 1929, under the category of unique and artistic production, is my favorite film of all time. surely the best film of 20's and the silent film era, despite the fact that the film was a commercial bust.[/quote]</p>

oh, i second that. it's funny that you mentioned F.W. Murnau's Sunrise out of the blue cause i synced this film (along with G.W. Pabst's Pandoras Box) in my iphone recently and been watching them during my ride home on the subway. </p>

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

murnau was always into expansive sets involving trains he'd be proud....lol it wasn't out of the blue in my head, i was responding to fuuma's top 20's films from the first page, thought i was up to date, imagine my surprise when i was a year or later in the conversation. <DIV>oh and saw no country for old men FOR THE SECOND TIME and agree its the best film of the year. i drool over kelly macdonald. and i love how the characters fates start to resemble tommy lee jones' daydreams. best casting, cinematography (roger deakins is the man) best screenplay, best villian in years, best weapons.</DIV><DIV>i realized every good coen bros film is a hunt film</DIV><DIV>big lebowski---the nihilists et al after the toe</DIV><DIV>blood simple -- its been awhile</DIV><DIV>raising arizona -- chasing the baby</DIV><DIV>Fargo</DIV><DIV>o brother, where art thou</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV>
          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• ddohnggo
            • Oct 2006

the other film i really enjoyed this year was cronenberg's eastern promises. i thought vigo and vincent cassell were very very good in the film. violence was over the top and the bathroom fight scene was pretty awesome.
            Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• ddohnggo
              • Oct 2006

not too familiar with pasolini's work, but for those interested and in NYC:
              </p>

?Pier Paolo Pasolini: Poet of Ashes,? which includes exhibitions,
              lectures, film screenings, concerts and other events, continues through
              Dec. 18. For information: (212) 879-4242,
              </p>
              Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• philip nod
                • Aug 2007

<DIV>yeah the other great film of this year. i did see gus van sants paranoid park at the film festival, and thats brilliant as well</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV>[quote user="ddohnggo"]the other film i really enjoyed this year was cronenberg's eastern promises. i thought vigo and vincent cassell were very very good in the film. violence was over the top and the bathroom fight scene was pretty awesome.
                [/quote]
                One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Finally finished the TV version of Fanny and Alexander. Incredible film.</p>

Going to see I Am Legend on Sunday. Apocalyptic New York - WOOT!!!
                  </p>
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Finally finished the TV version of Fanny and Alexander. Incredible film.</P>

</P>

[/quote]</P>

Yay for fanny and alexander, excellent mini-series. Post something about I am legend, I'm curious...</P>
                    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="Faust"]

</p>

[/quote]</p>

Yay for fanny and alexander, excellent mini-series. Post something about I am legend, I'm curious...</p>

[/quote]</p>

I was just going to post it. I have never seen a decent film nosedive so badly. It was great the first hour, and then it crashed and burned with that beyond trite Hollywood/American religious martyr bullshit. I was so mad. I felt like giving a refund to my friends...</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Also watched the Bicycle Thief (Italy, 1948). Great film about post-war depression in Italy. Very humane and toned down - reminded me how gratuitous violence is not needed to be shown (as it too often is in contemporary cinema) in order to portray real drama.</p>

Dr. Zhivago is coming tomorrow. I read the book so long ago, I can barely remember it.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                          • Oct 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="Faust"]

</p>

[/quote]</p>

Yay for fanny and alexander, excellent mini-series. Post something about I am legend, I'm curious...</p>

[/quote]</p>

I was just going to post it. I have never seen a decent film nosedive so badly. It was great the first hour, and then it crashed and burned with that beyond trite Hollywood/American religious martyr bullshit. I was so mad. I felt like giving a refund to my friends...</p>

[/quote]</p>

I just about stood up and walked out.
                          </p>
                          WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• xcoldricex
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Also watched the Bicycle Thief (Italy, 1948). Great film about post-war depression in Italy. Very humane and toned down - reminded me how gratuitous violence is not needed to be shown (as it too often is in contemporary cinema) in order to portray real drama.</p>

Dr. Zhivago is coming tomorrow. I read the book so long ago, I can barely remember it.</p>

[/quote]</p>

beijing bicycle - is based off bicycle thief - might be something you'd be interested in watching
                            </p>

Comment

• xcoldricex
                              • Sep 2006

oh yeah, youth without youth was ehhhhhhn.

Comment

• mass
                                • Sep 2006

damn, i want to see that pasolini exhibition.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎