Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddohnggo
    • Oct 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

there will be blood was sickness. STOKED ON RAMBOOOOOOOOOO.
    Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Servo2000
      • Oct 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user="wire.artist"]

Escape from ny and Escape from LA from the master John Carpenter (in europe he is considered an author)
      </p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

I've been wanting to see this for a while as the main character ("Snake") is based on the main character of Kojima's Metal Gear Solid series, which, aside from the classic Lucas Art' adventure series, has probably some of the most interesting and original writing being done in video games these days. I practically consider the series interactive film for many reasons, but remains enough of a game in it's own right that I consider the series as a whole a nearly perfect example of where videogames need to move to ever truly be considered "art."</p>

I thought this was a great quote about the second in the series: "If Haruki Murakami wrote a spy-thriller, this
      is what it would be like." It's probably hard to discuss since it doesn't seem that many here are gamers*, but I'll see if I can find that thread again.</p>

*plus, it's not like a movie where you can watch it in two hours, either, when it takes ~20 hours if you're an experienced gamer going at a reasonable pace
      </p>
      WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• dontbecruel
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"]</p>

the main character ("Snake") is based on the main character of Kojima's Metal Gear Solid series</p>

[/quote]</p>

Surely it's the other way round... Escape From NY came out in 1981!</p>

Comment

• Servo2000
          • Oct 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"]

[quote user="Servo2000"]</p>

the main character ("Snake") is based on the main character of Kojima's Metal Gear Solid series</p>

[/quote]</p>

Surely it's the other way round... Escape From NY came out in 1981!</p>

[/quote]</p>

Surely you're right, I had every intention of putting it that way. It's funny, I just watched it online (turned out to be one of the four on Netflix in my queue) and Kojima's "Solid Snake" character is virtually identical. He's literally the same character. I remembered while watching this that whenever "undercover" the snake character in M.G.S. changes his name to Plissken (sp?).</p>

I'll probably write a little something for the Videogame thread and for whatever reason reading it back over I'm none too surprised to see how many people here were into the classic Lucas Arts adventure titles.

</p>

Comment

• mass
            • Sep 2006

finally got around to watching argento's latest, la terza madre. has it's moments, but overall it was very disappointing. he's done more with less.

Comment

• Servo2000
              • Oct 2006

[quote user="gusgusterson"]

El Topo. Dude. Seriously.</p>

I somehow missed this when I was 15 and would have loved it.</p>

[/quote]</p>

I rented it based on this review, which is about as shining as a review as one can imagine in my opinion, and enjoyed it. The flamboyant cowboy costumes are fantastic! I think some of Superfutures more ambitious / fashion forward (pretty much Cotton Duck) "cowboy" dressers would really enjoy this. Cowboy is not the right word for how cotton duck dresses, but it's all I can come up with off the top of my head. 'regressive'? 'retrospective'?</p>

Got a bit of a half-assed post up in the videogames thread.
              </p>

Comment

• matthewhk
                • Jan 2007

sounds like it's right up my alley. I've been pretty obsessed with all things cowboy/wild west as of late. The wild west is a state of mind i find myself living in 24/7 these days...

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

I watched Il Postino yesterday (finally). I liked it. I thought the acting was good and it was a sweet film, but not sugary.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gusgusterson
                    • Mar 2007

[quote user="matthewhk"]sounds like it's right up my alley. I've been pretty obsessed with all things cowboy/wild west as of late. The wild west is a state of mind i find myself living in 24/7 these days...
                    [/quote]</p>

El Topo is much less a western than some sort of 70s psychedelic with heavy surrealist tendencies indictment on religion and society set in the desert. The first few scenes are great, the rest is painful to sit through. I really would have loved this as an angry teenager. The costumes are fun though. Ms Gusterson is convinced that Lagerfeld 2.0 saw this. </p>

Comment

• ddohnggo
                      • Oct 2006

important question: was rambo amazing?
                      Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Servo2000
                        • Oct 2006

Just watched Stalker the other day and enjoyed it immensely, my first Tarkovsky, which consequently has me excited and hunting down the rest of his work. Hoping to finish Fitzcarraldo and Jigoku today.

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="wire.artist"]

Jodorowsky is one of the most interesting artists of the XXth century. His masterpiece IMO is actually a comic called The Incal, illustrated by Moebius. </P>

[/quote]</P>

I read Alef Thau (another one of his comics) as a kid and still own the last 2 books, the mix of mystical and sci-fi influences leaves quite an impression.</P>

Saw "there will be blood", it's ok but not super good. Mad detective by Johnny To is a much better recent watch. Milky way studios rarely disapoint.</P>
                          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• CommieRabbit
                            • Oct 2007

[quote user="Servo2000"]Just watched Stalker the other day and enjoyed it immensely, my first Tarkovsky, which consequently has me excited and hunting down the rest of his work.
                            [/quote]</p>

I didn't find Stalker all that great. I generally love Tarkovsky but found some of the imagery and philosophy to be delivered in such a very heavy-handed and almost comical manner at times, although that said, it's all very stylistically a Tarkovsky film for sure, but I felt he worked his style did it better with his others. The movie also felt awkward and disjointed between the two-halfs, mostly due to massive production error (understandable) but also Tarkovsky's decision to radically shift the movie's direction. Maybe I'm just bitter because I'm a huge of fan of the book it was based on (Roadside Picnic), but the movie ended following it's own seperate path (well, in the second half anyways, the first part rings pretty close to the book).[73]</p>

That said, I'm an enormous fan of the film's pacing and incredibly stylistic portrayal of periods of time though, a signature of a Tarkovsky film. Pure genius at work.
                            </p>

You should check it Tarkovsky's Solyaris, definitely one of my fav's.
                            </p>

Comment

• Servo2000
                              • Oct 2006

[quote user="CommieRabbit"]

[quote user="Servo2000"]Just watched Stalker the other day and enjoyed it immensely, my first Tarkovsky, which consequently has me excited and hunting down the rest of his work.
                              [/quote]</p>

I didn't find Stalker all that great. I generally love Tarkovsky but found some of the imagery and philosophy to be delivered in such a very heavy-handed and almost comical manner at times, although that said, it's all very stylistically a Tarkovsky film for sure, but I felt he worked his style did it better with his others. The movie also felt awkward and disjointed between the two-halfs, mostly due to massive production error (understandable) but also Tarkovsky's decision to radically shift the movie's direction. Maybe I'm just bitter because I'm a huge of fan of the book it was based on (Roadside Picnic), but the movie ended following it's own seperate path (well, in the second half anyways, the first part rings pretty close to the book).[73]</p>

That said, I'm an enormous fan of the film's pacing and incredibly stylistic portrayal of periods of time though, a signature of a Tarkovsky film. Pure genius at work.
                              </p>

You should check it Tarkovsky's Solyaris, definitely one of my fav's.
                              </p>

[/quote]</p>

Yes, the "explorer" "scientist" and "writer" dynamic and some of that sort of interplay was a little... overdone, to be certain, but I really didn't know what to except from Tarkovsky as far as that goes. I'm glad it gets better, and I'm really looking forward to Solaris. That said, I also really appreciated the atmosphere of science fiction and the "world" created that seemed different and yet very much our own using very little in the way of special effects, much more subtle than the philosophy (this may be more common but as a child of the 90's "science fiction movie" had, up until recently, never reached into much of the territory explored by the true science fiction greats like Asimov where reality never feels too far away). I found it extremely refreshing!</p>

Being only 18 makes judging these films very different, because I've only really been trying to delve deeper into fine cinema within the past year or so, and really intently only in the past couple of months, so my ability to judge these sort of films is based not on other fine cinema but more what I've been exposed to before, which was generally sub-par, so even Stalker (as you have said, maybe not even one Tarkovsky' greater works) seems quite superior.
                              </p>

Comment

• mass
                                • Sep 2006

i'm with commie rabbit, i liked stalker but i think a few of his other films are significantly better (andrei rublev, which i think is his best work; zerkalo; and nostalghia which is my personal favorite. check them out servo). however it's also been a number of years since i've seen it, so...

also! criterion has a double feature dvd set of the killers which contains don siegels and robert siodmak's films (both good, imo), as well as tarkovsky's student short which is also quite good.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎