X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

IMHO, Tarkovskiy never matched Stalker. Solaris definitely comes close though. And, yes, the book on which Stalker is based is really good.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
      • Aug 2007

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user="Servo2000"][quote user="CommieRabbit"]

[quote user="Servo2000"]Just watched Stalker the other day and enjoyed it immensely, my first Tarkovsky, which consequently has me excited and hunting down the rest of his work.
      [/quote]</p>

I didn't find Stalker all that great. I generally love Tarkovsky but found some of the imagery and philosophy to be delivered in such a very heavy-handed and almost comical manner at times, although that said, it's all very stylistically a Tarkovsky film for sure, but I felt he worked his style did it better with his others. The movie also felt awkward and disjointed between the two-halfs, mostly due to massive production error (understandable) but also Tarkovsky's decision to radically shift the movie's direction. Maybe I'm just bitter because I'm a huge of fan of the book it was based on (Roadside Picnic), but the movie ended following it's own seperate path (well, in the second half anyways, the first part rings pretty close to the book).[73]</p>

That said, I'm an enormous fan of the film's pacing and incredibly stylistic portrayal of periods of time though, a signature of a Tarkovsky film. Pure genius at work.
      </p>

You should check it Tarkovsky's Solyaris, definitely one of my fav's.
      </p>

[/quote]</p>

Yes, the "explorer" "scientist" and "writer" dynamic and some of that sort of interplay was a little... overdone, to be certain, but I really didn't know what to except from Tarkovsky as far as that goes. I'm glad it gets better, and I'm really looking forward to Solaris. That said, I also really appreciated the atmosphere of science fiction and the "world" created that seemed different and yet very much our own using very little in the way of special effects, much more subtle than the philosophy (this may be more common but as a child of the 90's "science fiction movie" had, up until recently, never reached into much of the territory explored by the true science fiction greats like Asimov where reality never feels too far away). I found it extremely refreshing!</p>

Being only 18 makes judging these films very different, because I've only really been trying to delve deeper into fine cinema within the past year or so, and really intently only in the past couple of months, so my ability to judge these sort of films is based not on other fine cinema but more what I've been exposed to before, which was generally sub-par, so even Stalker (as you have said, maybe not even one Tarkovsky' greater works) seems quite superior.
      </p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

you look really old for 18</p>
      One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Servo2000
        • Oct 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]

you look really old for 18 </p>[/quote]<div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>I don't know about that, I'd say I look like a pretty standard 18 year old? If anything I'm often told I look rather young for my age on occasion.</div>
        WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• ddohnggo
          • Oct 2006

i don't think he means physically. he probably means you seem mature for 18.
          Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="ddohnggo"]i don't think he means physically. he probably means you seem mature for 18.
            [/quote]</p>

that's what i initially thought, but then i also thought whether pnod is not referring to the avatar...</p>
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

Saw "there will be blood", it's ok but not super good. Mad detective by Johnny To is a much better recent watch. Milky way studios rarely disapoint.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Agree with this. I liked the first hour, but found it rather monotonous and heavy handed thereafter. Was feeling very disappointed until I remembered who the director is....[85]</p>
              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Servo2000
                • Oct 2006

So... Jodorowsky' Holy Mountain. Man.

Comment

• mass
                  • Sep 2006

i thought holy mountain was okay; very strong and interesting conceptually but it's a bit too boring and poorly paced, imo. check out santa sangre.

anyway i had decided to watch the entire matrix trilogy this week (i had only seen the first 2), only because it's the closest resemblance to neuromancer we will probably ever see... meh. also for technical reasons...

Comment

• Servo2000
                    • Oct 2006

[quote user="mass"]i thought holy mountain was okay; very strong and interesting conceptually but it's a bit too boring and poorly paced, imo. check out santa sangre.[/quote]</p>

I was watching it while I was working which kept it pretty interesting. Sort of self-editing and returning focus to work when it felt like it was getting tedious. </p>

Always appreciate suggestions, thanks Mass. </p>

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I saw Why We Fight yesterday. I thought it was a good documentary, pretty didactic if you already didn't know it all. Not nearly as good as Hearts and Minds, but worth watching nonetheless.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• matthewhk
                        • Jan 2007

wow Fuuma you thought Mad Detective was better than TWBB! I have yet to watch TWBB but am looking forward to it immensely, comes out in HK next week. I thought Mad detective was not bad, really loved the scene where Lau Ching Wan was riding on the bike with the imagined version of his wife. Kelly Lin is smoking hot of course. For Johnnie To's recent efforts i prefer Triangle, although that can't really be classified as a strictly JT film of course.

Comment

• gusgusterson
                          • Mar 2007

The first 5-10 minutes of The Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie are pretty great. The behind the scenes short is depressing beyond belief.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Planet Earth in HD is astonishingly beautiful [:O]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                              • Aug 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="ddohnggo"]i don't think he means physically. he probably means you seem mature for 18.
                              [/quote]</p>

that's what i initially thought, but then i also thought whether pnod is not referring to the avatar...</p>

[/quote]</p>

yes i was referring to the avatar....</p>

and anyone who doesn't think there will be blood is in the top ten films of all time....then i just don't know what to say
                              </p>
                              One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                                • Oct 2006

there will be blood was fantastic (the end especially), but i couldn't help thinking that i enjoyed no country a little bit more. i would have to watch both again to make a definitive decision on that though.
                                Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎