Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user="philip nod"][quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="ddohnggo"]i don't think he means physically. he probably means you seem mature for 18.
    [/quote]</P>

that's what i initially thought, but then i also thought whether pnod is not referring to the avatar...</P>

[/quote]</P>

yes i was referring to the avatar....</P>

and anyone who doesn't think there will be blood is in the top ten films of all time....then i just don't know what to say
    </P>

[/quote]</P>

I've seen more than 10 films so I can't agree.</P>
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• philip nod
      • Aug 2007

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

that was nasty (and i went to film school so take a walk)
      One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• ddohnggo
        • Oct 2006

the new rambo is my favorite of all time.
        Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

did you really see it?

Comment

• ddohnggo
            • Oct 2006

not yet, but i know it will be!
            Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]that was nasty (and i went to film school so take a walk)
              [/quote]</P>

Well your quote was on the same tone... I mean its possible to enjoy that movie but do you feel its that good (and why?). I know you're some sort of multimedia artist so I don't doubt you've seen a lot of movies.</P>

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]

[quote user="philip nod"]that was nasty (and i went to film school so take a walk)
                [/quote]</p>

Well your quote was on the same tone... I mean its possible to enjoy that movie but do you feel its that good (and why?). I know you're some sort of multimedia artist so I don't doubt you've seen a lot of movies.</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

I'd like to know this too....</p>
                ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• mass
                  • Sep 2006

don't they just make you watch stranger than paradise in film school anyway?

Comment

• philip nod
                    • Aug 2007

fuuma</p>

my original comment was intended to provoke discussion as to why people thought the film was only par for the course, because I honestly haven't heard one person not be madly in love w that film. (to be fair most people haven't seen it yet) it was not a personal attack on anybody, let alone you. So why is it not a masterpiece?
                    </p>

to then attack me with witty, low ball snobbery that reduces me to an idiot and then to pseudo apologize for it by stopping one iota short of completely revealing my identity (not to say that everybody here doesn't know who i am, but COME ON DUDE) and then to hold me responsible for your comment by inferring that i should have known that you knew who i was---well, unfortunately, all i can say is "I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE" "I DRINK IT UP"</p>

I'm no film critic, and i have seen a ton of films, most notably, "stranger than paradise" in film school. I dislike PTA immensely, but watching the first few frames of there will be blood i was transfixed and thrilled. I saw interesting parallels to the SHINING in the brilliant johnny greenwood soundtrack, narrative build, and spatial land relationships, and in terms of the destruction and abandonment of family. the obvious political and religious parallels to iraq make this film, in some ways, the first real film about iraq. The battle between Eli and Daniel played out on this landscape is about making money and keeping the herd believing that their salvation is on the way, which is of course what the country was funded on and still practices today. i find the contrast between daniel's delusion and eli's fanatical delusion one of the most compelling interpersonal wars i have seen on film. Daniel day lewis, you'll never see a better performance. the editing was slow like the pace of the time, allowing the vistas to expand, and the sets were pitch perfect. and the ending was a knockout. I thought the film was perfect. i haven't thought that in a long time. except of course for "stranger than paradise". </p>

Laika (perhaps you noticed this?)</p>

also i thought it was notable that women were almost completely absent from the film. at one point daniel's called a "backslider" and known to be with many women but we never see this, even when he and his "brother" are getting slammed at the whore house. he's also rich and famous, should have women all over him...but theres no cliche in this film. i think this is because it would distract from the slow descent and nuance of day lewis performance into alocholic madness. the constant focusing on his face. the deliberate speeches. I thought that was a good directorial decision.
                    </p>

</p>

Comment

• gusgusterson
                      • Mar 2007

I worked at Kim's Video for like a month about a decade ago and all the other clerks would watch Birth of a Nation and Eisenstein. It was the Tarantino no film school dream and it was agonizing to sit through for $5 an hour especially after having sat through each of those films in a stuffy classroom.</p>

*And this has absolutely no bearing on the above other than the Strangers in Paradise reference to film school made me think of it.</p>

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

I still love you both.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">[quote user="philip nod"] <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">fuuma<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">my original comment was intended to provoke discussion as to why people thought the film was only par for the course, because I honestly haven't heard one person not be madly in love w that film. (to be fair most people haven't seen it yet) it was not a personal attack on anybody, let alone you. So why is it not a masterpiece?<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">to then attack me with witty, low ball snobbery that reduces me to an idiot and then to pseudo apologize for it by stopping one iota short of completely revealing my identity (not to say that everybody here doesn't know who i am, but COME ON DUDE) and then to hold me responsible for your comment by inferring that i should have known that you knew who i was---well, unfortunately, all i can say is "I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE" "I DRINK IT UP"<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">I'm no film critic, and i have seen a ton of films, most notably, "stranger than paradise" in film school. I dislike PTA immensely, but watching the first few frames of there will be blood i was transfixed and thrilled. I saw interesting parallels to the SHINING in the brilliant johnny greenwood soundtrack, narrative build, and spatial land relationships, and in terms of the destruction and abandonment of family. the obvious political and religious parallels to </SPAN><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">iraq</SPAN></st1:place></st1:country-region><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US"> make this film, in some ways, the first real film about </SPAN><st1:country-region><st1:place><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">iraq</SPAN></st1:place></st1:country-region><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">. The battle between Eli and Daniel played out on this landscape is about making money and keeping the herd believing that their salvation is on the way, which is of course what the country was funded on and still practices today. i find the contrast between daniel's delusion and eli's fanatical delusion one of the most compelling interpersonal wars i have seen on film. Daniel day lewis, you'll never see a better performance. the editing was slow like the pace of the time, allowing the vistas to expand, and the sets were pitch perfect. and the ending was a knockout. I thought the film was perfect. i haven't thought that in a long time. except of course for "stranger than paradise". <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">Laika (perhaps you noticed this?)<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">also i thought it was notable that women were almost completely absent from the film. at one point daniel's called a "backslider" and known to be with many women but we never see this, even when he and his "brother" are getting slammed at the whore house. he's also rich and famous, should have women all over him...but theres no cliche in this film. i think this is because it would distract from the slow descent and nuance of day lewis performance into alocholic madness. the constant focusing on his face. the deliberate speeches. </SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I thought that was a good directorial decision. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>[/quote]</FONT></P>

<SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">Allow me to demonstrate how the vagaries of the written word can create windmills such as the one you are currently fighting, might I add with a verve that is all in your honor.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
                          <P style="MARGIN-LEFT: 36pt; TEXT-INDENT: -18pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore">1)<SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"> </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">I have no idea who you are, both in the simple (your identity) and complex (your personality, interests, vision, hopes, favourite kind of underwear, etc) sense. You mentioned being a multimedia artist at some point and I happened to remember it. I could probably recognize you if we ever crossed paths due to your WAYWT and that sexy wardrobe, that?s about all I know of you. To be clear, as long as you?re not Terence Koh I do believe we could possibly get along fine. Since Perez is not licking your ear in any of the pictures you posted I?m sure that pitfall won?t endanger our relationship.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
                          <P style="MARGIN-LEFT: 36pt; TEXT-INDENT: -18pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore">2)<SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"> </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">I am not possessed of a distaste, often displayed in elitist cinema critics circles, for the work put out by PTA; Boogie nights is a movie that wears its influences on its sleeve (Scorsese, Altman, Cassavetes) but is, in the end, good clean fun. I just happen to believe the sleeve is so big it limits the scope of the film.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
                          <P style="MARGIN-LEFT: 36pt; TEXT-INDENT: -18pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore">3)<SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"> </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">There are some good things in ?There will be blood?, notably the soundtrack, sparse shots of desolate wilderness and exploration of dual themes dear to talented American filmmakers, namely an exploration of violence as a visceral urge (as opposed to European idealistic mass bloodshed) and the almost overwhelming desire for solitude/isolation. It is, to me, a flawed film with very strong elements but the result is simply not greater than the sum of its parts.</SPAN></P>
                          <P style="MARGIN-LEFT: 36pt; TEXT-INDENT: -18pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-US">4) My milkshakes are pretty yummy, I'll make you a real one if you ever drop by. Ice cream+milk+Baileys for the win!!</SPAN></P>
                          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

• philip nod
                            • Aug 2007

you're in montreal? might be awhile, but if i start walking now, i could be there in 4 months, as that does sound like a good milkshake. DRAINAGE!!!</p>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v<wbr>=ThZI-p8SKe0</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Most philosophical movie EVAR! Gives Tarkovskiy a run for his money ;-)</p>

Kin-dza-dza</p>
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                                • Oct 2006

Not cinema so much, but the first season of This American Life just went up on Netflix. Nearly finished, it's great stuff.
                                WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎