Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PrinceOfCats
    • Jan 2007

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

[quote user="nycd"]I just watched La Jetée again - can't count the number of times I've watched this now.

</p>
    All directors should be required to make a film entirely from stills. To be fair, they get one short shot with motion - as in this film.

</p>

But just one.[/quote]</p>

When I started film studies two years ago, the lecturer made us watch Marker without sound pretty much straight after we'd all sat down in the seminar room for the first time. Half the class had changed course by the next week!</p>

IIRC the camera pans twice in La jetée. It seems to me a moot point whether or not the eyelid actually 'opens'.</p>
    the extraordinary metamorphosis of one black liquid into another

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Re: Photography is truth. The cinema is truth twenty-four times per second: The cinema thread

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Watched My blueberry nights last evening, I?ve been keeping abreast of the most recent releases from the pillars of pan-Asian cinema that are Wong-Kar-Wai, Takeshi Kitano and Johnny To so I?ll be drinking their idiosyncratic brand of cool-aid within the next few days.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></FONT></o:p></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Very quick review (who cares about the story, there?s some longing, some cigarette smoking and a road trip).<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3></FONT></o:p></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">The good<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN>[/B]</P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt 18pt; TEXT-INDENT: -18pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 18.0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"><FONT size=3>·</FONT><SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"> </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">The first part is set in Jeremy?s (Jude Law) café and is a fine example of WKW creating his special brand of confined world inhabited by a limited cast of night-bound urban characters who create emotional connections by creating a common meaning out of the endless repetition of mundane gestures. The cinematographer helps further drive home this idea by using limited depth of field and playing up the cluttered world of the small café, a place that he wisely avoid displaying in full.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt 18pt; TEXT-INDENT: -18pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 18.0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"><FONT size=3>·</FONT><SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"> </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">The cast delivers their lines with gusto and really understand the broad brushstrokes WKW uses to introduce a character, before he concentrates on peeling of the layers of complexity behind the façade. I won?t lie and say I didn?t think of Takeshi Kaneshiro in the Law role and Maggie Cheung as Norah Jones, who?s not stellar but is doing a serviceable job in her first starring role.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt 18pt; TEXT-INDENT: -18pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 18.0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"><FONT size=3>·</FONT><SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"> </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">The bluesy soundtrack is nice and so are the blue font on black background intertitles used to mark the passage of time (and reference Godard).<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt 18pt; TEXT-INDENT: -18pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 18.0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"><FONT size=3>·</FONT><SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"> </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">There are guest appearances by a cast member of the Wire and Cat Power.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">The bad<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN>[/B]</P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt 18pt; TEXT-INDENT: -18pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list 18.0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"><FONT size=3>·</FONT><SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"> </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">The montage and narration seem to have been streamlined to appeal to the widest-audience possible and avoid turning, twisting, fast-forwarding, replaying and cutting time to accurately reflect the subjective, mood-driven manner that governs temporality in the WKW universe (life as a languorous montage with most parts staying on the cutting floor). There are some moments where we get a glimpse of what could have been, notably during a fast-forwarded brawl in the café seen through a surveillance camera (the patented WKW cinematic reference).<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt 18pt; TEXT-INDENT: -18pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list 18.0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"><FONT size=3>·</FONT><SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"> </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">The movie does not use the impressive sight of the great American outdoors in any meaningful way, Wim Wenders WKW is not.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt 18pt; TEXT-INDENT: -18pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list 18.0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"><FONT size=3>·</FONT><SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"> </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">The new cinematographer is obviously talented but plays it a little safe, I miss the go for broke bravura of Christopher Doyle.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt 18pt; TEXT-INDENT: -18pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list 18.0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"><FONT size=3>·</FONT><SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"> </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Wanders the same territories as his usual movies but suffer by comparison and you can?t help but compare. I miss his good voice-overs, not many people can do that right.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">The ugly<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN>[/B]</P>
      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt 18pt; TEXT-INDENT: -18pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 18.0pt"><SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore"><FONT size=3>·</FONT><SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'"> </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-US style="mso-ansi-language: EN-US"><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Stilted dialogue that is too literal and robs the characters of any possibility of accurately evoking the opacity of alterity.<o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></SPAN></P>
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

Thread derail, I like this Marker photography book: http://www.amazon.com/Staring-Back-C...747&amp;sr=8-2</P>

Gave a copy to the dhonggger but not sure it's that fun for someone who's not a fan so buy at your own risk.</P>

Comment

• Tiger
          Banned
          • Sep 2006

wonder if My Blueberry Nights will be showing in the states anytime soon...

Comment

• matthewhk
            • Jan 2007

my biggest problem with My Blueberry Nights is how Wong's non-native English scriptwriting translated into awkward, choppy pacing in the dialogue. Agree w/ what Fuuma said about shooting American space, although the Vegas Natalie Portman segment was the one part I think was done quite well in the film. It basically carried over Wong's visual style and flair for musical backdrops into a Hollywood context (and if you consider the themes/characters, i guess you can say the film is a watered down WKW 101 for beginner audiences to his catalogue), but other than that it left me empty.

Comment

• Servo2000
              • Oct 2006

I had no idea that Be Kind, Rewind was a Gondry film, which was disappointing since I was looking for generic comedy fluff and got Gondry instead.
              WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• ddohnggo
                • Oct 2006

i had never heard of this movie until a few days ago when someone said it wasn't that good. disappointing because i really like gondry's work with eternal sunshine, science of sleep, and all his music videos.
                Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="Jun"]wonder if My Blueberry Nights will be showing in the states anytime soon...[/quote]</p>

I can make you a DVD, if you want.</p>
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                    • Aug 2007

[quote user="ddohnggo"]i had never heard of this movie until a few days ago when someone said it wasn't that good. disappointing because i really like gondry's work with eternal sunshine, science of sleep, and all his music videos.
                    [/quote]</p>

there's a art gallery version at deitch projects up...ny times profiled it somewhere --- you can make your own movie in 2 hours using sets / props he's built. that sort of stuff never interests me</p>
                    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]

[quote user="ddohnggo"]i had never heard of this movie until a few days ago when someone said it wasn't that good. disappointing because i really like gondry's work with eternal sunshine, science of sleep, and all his music videos.
                      [/quote]</P>

there's a art gallery version at deitch projects up...ny times profiled it somewhere --- you can make your own movie in 2 hours using sets / props he's built. that sort of stuff never interests me</P>

[/quote]</P>

I've never seen a Gondry movie...</P>

Comment

• philip nod
                        • Aug 2007

you should check eternal sunshine of the spotless mind. its fantastic, and actually one of the few movies that makes me believe in, gasp, love.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]you should check eternal sunshine of the spotless mind. its fantastic, and actually one of the few movies that makes me believe in, gasp, love.
                          [/quote]</p>

i liked it too, it's sweet without being sugary - a rarity.</p>
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                            • Aug 2007

and sometimes its hard not to fall in love w kate winslet. (w the exception of titanic)

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]and sometimes its hard not to fall in love w kate winslet. (w the exception of titanic)
                              [/quote]</p>

yes, in titanic one tends to fall in love with leonardo</p>

</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                                • Aug 2007

you took the words right out of my mouth[83]

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎