X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AKA*NYC
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by gusgusterson View Post
    I did not expect to, but really liked Milk. Penn and Franco are incredible. I found it to be quiet, not heavy handed, but moving especially considering Prop 8, etc.
    Are any of the other recent Van Sant movies worthwile?
    paranoid park which came out earlier in the year made it to most worthwhile critics' top 10 lists. the last one i saw and liked was elephant. also worth seeing is the alan clarke film that inspired the title. it's 45 minutes of people stalking and murdering each other.
    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• sam_tem
      • Apr 2007

i could possibly enjoy van sant's movies if he didn't pick such topical plot's (columbine, cobain) and then proceed to ruin them as much as possible with his storytelling and not provide any kind of real critique or worthwhile voice in the end. i can't think of all the details, but i'm referring to stuff like girls throwing up together in the bathroom, drugs, etc.

edit: oh yeah, the shooters being gay. i mean wtf. there's plenty of movies to watch with great cinematography and pacing that actually have good stories to tell.

recent films for me:

key largo: the reviews said this was too talkative, but i didn't find that distracting at all and the hurricane is something i can relate too. not on par with the better film noir's but certainly worth watching.

faces: ah cassavetes, so good. i really need to get my hands on killing of a chinese bookie.

Comment

• destroyed
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by gusgusterson View Post
        I did not expect to, but really liked Milk. Penn and Franco are incredible. I found it to be quiet, not heavy handed, but moving especially considering Prop 8, etc.
        Are any of the other recent Van Sant movies worthwile?
        i think GVS's best work is his earlier films like Drugstore Cowboy and My Own Private Idaho. To Die For is a really funny entertaining flick.

i like his more recent stuff but i feel like he stopped trying, kinda. or is trying too hard, i can't really tell. i haven't seen Milk but i want to. i make it a point to see every movie he makes.

low points: Even Cowgirls Get the Blues and Good Will Hunting.
        broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• mamaboy
          • Mar 2008

gvs stuff kinda disturbs me being too "gay"....kinda "gay" is more important than art ...."gay" is given....
          almodovar is super gay and i do not have that after taste ...i love almodovar....just watched 'BAD EDUCATION " again...love...
          but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• mamaboy
            • Mar 2008

kims video is gone ..anybody knows some place like that in east village or near by ?
            but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by sam_tem View Post
              i could possibly enjoy van sant's movies if he didn't pick such topical plot's (columbine, cobain) and then proceed to ruin them as much as possible with his storytelling and not provide any kind of real critique or worthwhile voice in the end. i can't think of all the details, but i'm referring to stuff like girls throwing up together in the bathroom, drugs, etc.

edit: oh yeah, the shooters being gay. i mean wtf. there's plenty of movies to watch with great cinematography and pacing that actually have good stories to tell.

recent films for me:

key largo: the reviews said this was too talkative, but i didn't find that distracting at all and the hurricane is something i can relate too. not on par with the better film noir's but certainly worth watching.

faces: ah cassavetes, so good. i really need to get my hands on killing of a chinese bookie.
              The killers weren't gay, the kiss was a sudden thing. I believe Van Sant discussed that in an interview. I sorta like paranoid park and elephant. Last days was weird. Van Sant is very matter of fact now and I don't think that's a bad thing. He's non-judgmental even in extreme situations.

These days I watch anime series, recently saw:
              Lelouch of the rebellion season 1&2
              Gundam Seed tv
              Gundam Seed Destiny TV

Will rewatch the old Gundam stuff (will take a while at 40-50eps/season):
              Mobile suit Gundam tv
              Gundam Zeta tv
              Gundam double Zeta tv
              Char's counterattack (movie)

I bet no one cares though...
              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Servo2000
                • Oct 2006

Paranoid Park was a good film for a rainy day, strangely enough.
                WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
                  Paranoid Park was a good film for a rainy day, strangely enough.
                  If you walk recent Van Sant movies you have to be up for a heavy dose of apathy hiding adolescent alienation. Works better when it rains, or when you're that age I guess.

Comment

• Servo2000
                    • Oct 2006

I think personally it was the overall... sluggishness of the film? There was a sensation of slowness (aside from the obvious slow-motion shots) that made for a pleasant late-afternoon bit of timele loss.
                    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Watched Persepolis. It was Ok. Good for a dilettante audience.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                        • Aug 2007

i left paranoid park and headed for revolutionary road and realized that kate winslet's vulnerability deepens with each indie film and i fall deeper in love with her in a way that reminds me of how i feel about my mother growing older and breaking in her fragile ways.
                        One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Kate Winslet is a great actress.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jonn
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post

These days I watch anime series, recently saw:
                            Lelouch of the rebellion season 1&2
                            Gundam Seed tv
                            Gundam Seed Destiny TV

Will rewatch the old Gundam stuff (will take a while at 40-50eps/season):
                            Mobile suit Gundam tv
                            Gundam Zeta tv
                            Gundam double Zeta tv
                            Char's counterattack (movie)

I bet no one cares though...
                            OO im suprised to see this on sz. zeta and char's are good. avoid seed and destiny at all cost. Lelouch looks pretty wack never tried it before. 00 is pretty neat, though.

Off topic: I'm a big comic nerd myself ive read all the major works by Urasawa Naokia and Pluto is by far my favorite if not the best ive read.

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Jonn View Post
                              OO im suprised to see this on sz. zeta and char's are good. avoid seed and destiny at all cost. Lelouch looks pretty wack never tried it before. 00 is pretty neat, though.

Off topic: I'm a big comic nerd myself ive read all the major works by Urasawa Naokia and Pluto is by far my favorite if not the best ive read.
                              Lelouch is good if you like over the top twists and turns in the political arena, it's sorta like the cold war if they decided to lug missiles and other niceties at each others and it escalated (second season). People follow their philosophies to such extremes that even "nice" people end up saying "hey, let's nuke 'em for THE FUTURE".

Seed and Destiny is ok, sorta like a remake of Mobile suit gundam so it was a good primer since the last time I watched that was on VHS. I've already seen Char and the other series (080, 083, 8th platoon, etc) but not Zeta and ZZ so that will be a nice surprise. I don't even like sci-fi that much but Gundam is more geopolitical + Knights/heroes + space opera drama and romance.

I see you're in HK, are you eagerly awaiting Stormriders II?

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                                • Jan 2008

Lucía y el Sexo dir. Julio Medem(2001)

I felt like a ray of sunshine, next I think I'll rewatch his
                                "Los amantes del círculo polar" ...

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                                Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡