Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonn
    • Mar 2008

if you are into geopolitical stuffs and a better remake of the classics you definitely need to check 00. seed is just too silly. you should check the zeta remake ova too.

if you hadn't remind me i dont even remember there being a sequel to the first one. not a big fan of hk style computer generated action movies(the legend of zu comes to mind) and im sick of seeing similar actors in hk blockbusters(not in this case though. tony leung, andy lau and the likes). i haven't watched any hk movies in the theatre for a while. steven chau used to be funny but GOD kung fu hustle was a huge let down. oh i watched yip man though, the plot is silly i feel like being cheated after i calmed down from the action-fueled adrenalin rush.

Comment

• swami
      • Jul 2008

Watched TOWEL HEAD Its quite a good movie,Dark, Hilarious ... But I had to turn away from the screen at times, MAn I would be neurotic, worried sick if I had a preteen daughter.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

WaaaalllEEEEE. It's such a wonderful cartoon!!! Every bit as good as advertised. I haven't had an urge to buy a DVD in ages, but I think I may buy this. Oh, and Blu-Ray helps...

Going to see Defiance today.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• swami
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          WaaaalllEEEEE. It's such a wonderful cartoon!!! Every bit as good as advertised. I haven't had an urge to buy a DVD in ages, but I think I may buy this. Oh, and Blu-Ray helps...

Going to see Defiance today.
          Wallee was great for the first romance half But the part on the spaceship gets a little tedious And a little too preachy, I totally lost interest in the characters.

Defiance sounds like a great movie, One of the few I hope to watch at the movies.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Well, they had to balance the cartoon for the kiddies! :-)
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Schadenfreude
              • Jan 2008

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

*shakes with anticipation*
              Originally posted by ddohnggo
              fuck, that baby dresses way better than i do.

Comment

• sbw4224
                • Sep 2006

I saw Defiance earlier this week. I was extremely disappointed. I couldn't connect with any of the characters and the plot, while an interesting story, was too unfocued to make it a compelling movie. I'd be interested to know what you guys thought of it.

Comment

• Servo2000
                  • Oct 2006

Just got back from Notorious. I couldn't help myself. Regardless, it wasn't worth it (unsurprising)!
                  WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Huxley
                    • Dec 2007

I watched Let the Right One In and Gomorra the other day. Loved em both. Though I read that there's already an english remake in the works for the former, which is extremely lame.

Comment

• Bosozoku
                      • Sep 2008

This afternoon watched "Hvordan vi slipper af med de andre" (how to get rid of the others).

Great social satire, focusing on the extermination of useless, non-contributing humans within the Danish society. Shocking and funny at times, but definitely worth watching.

Comment

• doldrums
                        • Dec 2008

Zvyagintsev's "The Return". Great russian film...can see a bit of Tarkovsky influence.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by sbw4224 View Post
                          I saw Defiance earlier this week. I was extremely disappointed. I couldn't connect with any of the characters and the plot, while an interesting story, was too unfocued to make it a compelling movie. I'd be interested to know what you guys thought of it.
                          I thought it was a sold film, but I sensed the same dissatisfaction. It just wasn't gripping. It did not make you feel the tragedy, and I've seen/read a lot of material on that subject, because that's where I'm from and I am Jewish. Hollywood is so used to its polish that it just cannot take it off even for serious-minded films. This film was done by people who respect suffering but who have never suffered themselves. This needed a director who would feel empathy, not sympathy. However, as a primer on the subject, I'd say it's worth watching. I want to read the book now. SBW, if you want a good film about the same time and place, rent Come and See.

On a side note, why does Hollywood always makes the characters speak English with an accent whenever a film does not take place in an English speaking country? It's so stupid.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            I thought it was a sold film, but I sensed the same dissatisfaction. It just wasn't gripping. It did not make you feel the tragedy, and I've seen/read a lot of material on that subject, because that's where I'm from and I am Jewish. Hollywood is so used to its polish that it just cannot take it off even for serious-minded films. This film was done by people who respect suffering but who have never suffered themselves. This needed a director who would feel empathy, not sympathy. However, as a primer on the subject, I'd say it's worth watching. I want to read the book now. SBW, if you want a good film about the same time and place, rent Come and See.

On a side note, why does Hollywood always makes the characters speak English with an accent whenever a film does not take place in an English speaking country? It's so stupid.
                            I was thinking about this (your last) point recently, after I watched The Reader. My thought has always been that it's stupid (and I probably still do think this), but I wondered about two things in mitigation. Can it be looked at as simply a dramatic device, to create a feeling or mood, in the same way as a set or costume does. Also, Bruno Ganz is in that film and it struck me that it would be strange to have him speaking English in a German accent and for all the others to be speaking with an English accent.

I enjoyed The Reader very much actually. Slumdog Millionnaire on the other hand struck me as a total muddle. One big long pop video, much like Trainspotting or Shallow Grave. As Faust may say, although not perhaps about Danny Boyle films, same shit, different toilet.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I guess it could be looked at this way - I would imagine Hollywood has done research on that point, but I always become aware of it and it spoils things a bit for me.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sam_tem
                                • Apr 2007

my weekend movies:

slumdog millionaire - like the previous poster mentioned, an enjoyable film but one that i have no intentions of ever watching again.

the wrestler - so good. i need to check out aronofsky's previous film since i never saw it due to the split opinions about it.

milk - good story and certainly an important part of history, but it makes for a tedious film.

audition - eh, i had heard a lot of praise about this movie so it was letdown after the hype. decent though and worth a watch i suppose.

visitor Q - wtf. not what i expected and i'm not sure if i'm going to bother to finish it. i just wanted to check out some takashi miike films to see if i was missing anything from those type of japanese filmmakers. i guess these guys aren't my type of thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎