Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

I'm watching doubt, sounds promising (ooooh a "mainstream" movie).
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Taxi to the Dark Side. Pretty dark so far.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• klangspiel
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by corsair sanglot
        does this have outer space?
        yes it does. see here.
        while you're there, the entire index catalogue is worth having a look as well and in particular, dietmar brehm's black garden.

here's a fantastic article that provides a good rundown of that particular generation of austrian "materialist" filmmakers. i'd also include lisl ponger. her films are wonderful.
        Last edited by klangspiel; 03-01-2009, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• maldoror
          • Jun 2007

just got back from the video store in preparation for tonight's storm. planned double feature:

Comment

• mumma
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
            I'm watching doubt, sounds promising (ooooh a "mainstream" movie).
            actually it's a very good, simple movie,
            based on a very strong script. actors duo
            seymour hoffman/ meryl streep is amazing.
            just i wasn't so sure about those "pushy" metaphors,
            but from the other hand the whole aestethic of that
            movie is quite theatrical, so that is a part of it.
            LOUPEON — archival fashion project.
            Web store focused on collectible garments from avant-garde European designers.
            www.loupeon.com

Comment

• mumma
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by klangspiel View Post
              yea. did some house cleaning today and found the dvd. decided to watch it again. the films are noticeably sleeker than i'm accustomed to. prefer the earlier generation of kren and kubelka.
              nevertheless, outerspace has always been a piece of fun viewing :)

for me kren is important mostly from the historical point of view, i mean some of those movies from 60 are just so naive, that you can only laugh watching them now, and it's almost the same with the most of aktionismus works. tscherkassky is more interesting when it comes to the structure, or image itself, and love the way he works with time (i've seen his movies for first time on expermiental music festival right after stephan mathieu concert, and that was a really good match, haha, remember it till now). from that index series as far as i remember that one with martin arnold (continuing this movies/ music aspect there is a nice album from apestaartje with some remixed tracks from one of his movies) was pretty good. but have watched all of that stuff around 3-5 years ago when was into this kind of cinema, so maybe would had a different thoughs if saw those movies now. probably would ;-) anyway...

oh and the granular synthesis one was really impressive.
              usually don't like that kind of stuff, but they did it right ;-)
              LOUPEON — archival fashion project.
              Web store focused on collectible garments from avant-garde European designers.
              www.loupeon.com

Comment

• klangspiel
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mumma View Post
                for me kren is important mostly from the historical point of view, i mean some of those movies from 60 are just so naive, that you can only laugh watching them now,
                that's precisely why i find his work incredibly endearing, though i'd never characterize any of his films as naive (at least not in a pejorative sense). we're talking essentially a man who pretty much worked and honed his craft in total isolation and from a blank slate -- experimenting an entire oeuvre and artistic style on his very own -- so he's bound to produce the odd "mistake", "flaw" and "bad" piece(s) of work, which imo goes with the territory of experimentation. the only other comparable filmmaker at the time with a similar creative vigour, aesthetic vision and working methodology was stan brakhage but no way kren heard about him back then.

furthermore, these films which are deemed "naive" or "outdated" are veritable cinematic watersheds or imagined possibilities of what was / is to come. and i don't mean this just in a foundational and historical sense but the possibilities implicit to his films remain far more open-ended than meets the eye. hindsight's great but too often it does nothing more than act as a retroactive limitation of how we actually experience and judge something as opposed to opening up doors of possibility.

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

I watched "let the right one in" and have to say that if you're like me and definitely not that much into the supernatural (or sci-fi for that matter) you gotta watch it anyway. The depiction of small time misery is so acutely painful it supersedes the horror. In a way the "love" story is also kind of cute.

Imma watching all big hollywood releases too, saw:

-James bond (the new one, sucks of course)
                  -Bourne trilogy (not bad, thought it'd be much worse, I really liked the second one for some reason). Fun action not edited by a lunatic (lots of discrete long takes).
                  -Unforgiven (again, hadn't see it in yrs). Still one of my favourite westerns, a great genre if there ever was one.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Funny that you liked 2nd Bourne - I thought it was easily the worst one.

I really need to see Let the Right One In. Still playing in Angelica.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Funny that you liked 2nd Bourne - I thought it was easily the worst one.

I really need to see Let the Right One In. Still playing in Angelica.
                      I wasn't big on the third. First one obviously has the best setup since you start out with no info but I liked the addition of a sympathetic CIA char in the second to play with office politics. The second one had the bad Russians, sorta de rigueur in such a series, don't you think?

ps: go see let the right one in.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Well, I suppose because I am Russian, I am bored with the Russian mobster de rigueur. But even besides that, the whole thing was just way too much drama without feeling dramatic. The third one was just entirely suspenseful, especially the London part. I literally held my breath!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Well, I suppose because I am Russian, I am bored with the Russian mobster de rigueur. But even besides that, the whole thing was just way too much drama without feeling dramatic. The third one was just entirely suspenseful, especially the London part. I literally held my breath!
                          It was great until he got to NYC.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                            It was great until he got to NYC.
                            Truth.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• swami
                              • Jul 2008

Bourne trilogy was really good , The first one was my favorite though, The story setup ofcourse BUT European country side ,the fight scenes & the energy was excellent.

VICKY CHRIS BARCELONA a few days ago. Even though the movie plays out a little exagerated and over the top I loved the flawed characters and the exchange between them. Although I dont really agree that unrequited love is the only one that lasts.

Comment

• Diego
                                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by wire.artist
                                Let the Right One In was a huge surprise for me, beautiful film.
                                Didn't get a chance to see it but the blu-ray comes out the 10th

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎