• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Carol Christian Poell

I found this description of Mainstream-Downstream really beautiful, especially the evocation of emotion from the blase crowd she describes at the end.

From The New Yorker

The invitation to Poell?s show was a salmon-colored factory time
    card stamped with an hour?seven in the evening?and an address that
    puzzled my driver: ?Alzaia Naviglio Grande Under Bridge Viale Cassala.?
    The Naviglio Grande is the largest of the natural canals that flow
    through and beneath the industrial neighborhood where Poell has his
    studio, and which is the oldest part of the city. By the time we found
    the spot, the sun looked like a melon. A youthful crowd had assembled
    along the iron railing that protects the steep embankment. There was no
    evidence of a runway. There were no assistants in black, no security
    personnel talking into headsets, no publicist with a seating
    chart?indeed, no seating. The water, which was pale green and
    surprisingly clear, though flecked with wisps of straw, reflected a
    skyful of Tintoretto clouds. ?
    Dov?è la sfilata?? people were asking?where?s the show?

Then, to universal amazement, we beheld?drifting lazily down the
    canal?two red boots, a white shirt, a pair of dark trousers. They were
    followed by a boy dressed in a thick vest of what looked like
    russet-colored steel wool. He lay supine and motionless, his limbs
    outstretched, his perfectly calm face framed by the swirling mass of
    his hair. There were sixteen of his fellow-volunteers to come. Though
    the clothes were soggy and a little blurred, one read them?as the
    current turned the page?like the hand-colored images in some mildewed
    yet marvellous old book. Poell?s idea was so poetic that the magical
    buoyancy of bodies and clothes (kept from sinking by an invisible
    flotation device) leapt the banks and infected the audience with a fit
    of joy. It didn?t matter, I thought, what the collection looked like on
    a hanger or in a shop, because the show had performed a feat that is
    rare enough in theatre or art and practically unheard of in fashion. It
    surprised a group of people with an emotion they hadn?t been expecting
    to feel. That is how a child experiences a sensual revelation, and how
    it is transformed into a memory of being happy. ?Everybody follows
    fashion,? Poell told me later. ?But change goes against the stream.?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

That's lovely. [64] Do you happen to know who wrote it?
      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]That's lovely. [64] Do you happen to know who wrote it?
        [/quote]

Judith Thurman. Not to be confused with Judith Herman. Not sure the whole article is worth reading, unless you simply enjoy reading New Yorker style articles.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

ah, thanks for the link. I just read the first paragraph, but it looks interesting. [51]
          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• philip nod
            • Aug 2007

[quote user="pipcleo"]the hood just looks plain stupid anyway[/quote]

agreed. beyond stupid. the crotch/knee pants have held up great w considearble wear..no problems..

One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Casius
              • Dec 2006

[quote user="sheshelis"]

let me interupt you all in the jointed carol theme (i've been reading SZ but excuse my laisy fingers..[79])

start from the begining:

i had my hands on most of the jointed stuff from autumn witnter season and i must say the look was extraordinary (the price followed and even killled..well you know that)

unfortunatelly i needed to discard everything which was not leather - poor quality! pants were falling apart, not much joy with the jackets too. and the coats actually i prefered with classic/raglan shoulder! those were awsome!

the jointed leather bomber jacket was a killer! slim sleeve, mixed shoulder, tall neck! and then the waxed wool version of that...ahh...

hard to wear but once you get in to it..

leather jointed parka followed the first two: amasingly soft leather and the maximum wearing comfort! and ofcourse the look of it...

i do admire the jointed boots! very sharp look, great leather finish, all distressed, but they killed my feet on the places where the seem of the joints are. great to look at but not to wear.

same with armour joint jacket! it felt that its made of steel not of leather! if you speeding on the bike 200mph and fall of with that jacket - life is saved! but not every day wearing..slow suicide and the price!... 10k!

in these short memoirs i shall praise mixed shoulder long leather coat!!! that was is and will be on of the best pieces!!

ah just to mention buckle boot: the buckles ends up falling out....

some time in the future i shall give my opinion ss2008.... but leathers are wicked!!i can tell you now!

[/quote]

A few questions for you....

Did you own all of those pieces or are the assessments from trying all those items on?

Also, the buckles on the buckle boot, fall off? Is this because of bad stitching, buckles too heavy? :(

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• ddohnggo
                • Oct 2006

i'm sure the pants allows for some sweet michael jackson moves.
                Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• philip nod
                  • Aug 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

I found this description of Mainstream-Downstream really beautiful, especially the evocation of emotion from the blase crowd she describes at the end.

From The New Yorker

[/quote]

god.

One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]ah, thanks for the link. I just read the first paragraph, but it looks interesting. [51]
                    [/quote]

it's just a seasonal menswear review (SS04), although it's nice to refresh one's memory in an entertaining way.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sheshelis
                      • Mar 2008

to CASIUS:

both: trying and later owing..as the most of you probably [8-|]

and regarding buckle boots: the actual buckles are very lightand theynot ment to befor hard or heavy wearing (as we all know footwear is heavy duty stuff)..so..

some time agothey were usedfor the jackets instead of the buttons(not by ccp).

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

[quote user="philip nod"][quote user="Faust"]

From The New Yorker

The invitation to Poell?s show was a salmon-colored factory time card stamped with an hour?seven in the evening?and an address that puzzled my driver: ?Alzaia Naviglio Grande Under Bridge Viale Cassala.? The Naviglio Grande is the largest of the natural canals that flow through and beneath the industrial neighborhood where Poell has his studio, and which is the oldest part of the city. By the time we found the spot, the sun looked like a melon. A youthful crowd had assembled along the iron railing that protects the steep embankment. There was no evidence of a runway. There were no assistants in black, no security personnel talking into headsets, no publicist with a seating chart?indeed, no seating. The water, which was pale green and surprisingly clear, though flecked with wisps of straw, reflected a skyful of Tintoretto clouds. ?Dov?è la sfilata?? people were asking?where?s the show?

Then, to universal amazement, we beheld?drifting lazily down the canal?two red boots, a white shirt, a pair of dark trousers. They were followed by a boy dressed in a thick vest of what looked like russet-colored steel wool. He lay supine and motionless, his limbs outstretched, his perfectly calm face framed by the swirling mass of his hair. There were sixteen of his fellow-volunteers to come. Though the clothes were soggy and a little blurred, one read them?as the current turned the page?like the hand-colored images in some mildewed yet marvellous old book. Poell?s idea was so poetic that the magical buoyancy of bodies and clothes (kept from sinking by an invisible flotation device) leapt the banks and infected the audience with a fit of joy. It didn?t matter, I thought, what the collection looked like on a hanger or in a shop, because the show had performed a feat that is rare enough in theatre or art and practically unheard of in fashion. It surprised a group of people with an emotion they hadn?t been expecting to feel. That is how a child experiences a sensual revelation, and how it is transformed into a memory of being happy. ?Everybody follows fashion,? Poell told me later. ?But change goes against the stream.?

[/quote]

god.

[/quote]

I have a deep amount of respect for the man.......... respect because he has managed to do something that i have aspired to do .........tried and failed, but will try again.

to set up an atelier and produce well designed clothing of uncompromized quality, in limited runs that people who posses a genuine interest in such this can appreciate.

I lift my hat to him............... one day the Z atelier will rise again.................

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• xcoldricex
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

From The New Yorker

[/quote]

tsk tsk. this has been linked in the original post since i started the thread!

Comment

• Casius
                            • Dec 2006

[quote user="sheshelis"]

to CASIUS:

both: trying and later owing..as the most of you probably [8-|]

and regarding buckle boots: the actual buckles are very light and they not ment to be for hard or heavy wearing (as we all know footwear is heavy duty stuff)..so..

some time ago they were used for the jackets instead of the buttons (not by ccp).

[/quote]

sheshelis- Thanks so much for the fast response! Definitely look forward to you posting more in this thread and others. :)

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• osn19
                              • Feb 2007

I confess owning that crazy Ninja Turtle hoodie alien jacket. The first week, I needed the help of another person to help me put it on. It was like entering an armour or a scaphander. Once in it I could barely move my arms, so I couldn't even close the zip or take it off by myself !

But just like with the kangoroo leather boots (which usually hurt like hell the first months), the jacket then starts shaping to your body (or is it the contrary), the joints are placed right on my articulations, and now I am totally independant : I can put the jacket on and close it all by myself. I can even light a cigarette : halleluia !

Concerning the details : it is made of horse skin, so the only inconvenient of this jacket is that it smells like a dead animal. Can't go to a date with it... Otherwise, the lining is made of parachute tissue (not a joke !). This jacket is not true to size : I usually wear 46 or 48 in Carol leathers, but I needed a 50 for this one. I could only recommand trying it on before buying it since it is so special. But you can be sure that after a week, you'll be able to move normally and wear it without problem. The CCP tag says there are only 4 pieces that have been produced.

I must also confess that this is not my fav CCP leather. It is hard to wear because you need to find the good combination with pants, shirts, and shoes, etc... It's easier to wear the overlock leather jackets for example.

On the news side, I just got a lamb leather jacket from this season. It has no lining, the leather is really thin and it's one of the best CCP fitting leather jacket I know. It's lighter than what he usually produces and you look even more modern industrial rock'n'roll than Trent Reznor in 1994 !

About the pictures : The one from the Ninja Turtle hoodie from EM is quite good, and gives you a good idea of what it really looks like. Apart from the colour which in reality tends more around the greenish (you know the CCP's RGB !).

I have become quite reluctant of posting pics or sending pics, since people (even on the forum, you know who you are...) and other brands (Augusta we know your sins !) are making copies, and I f**g hate that idea. But If there are people in NY or Paris that want to meet one day around a drink to see and compare the goods, I am opened to the idea.

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Chinorlz"]

Thanks for the further rundown on the mythical jointed dragon slayer jacket Buratino :)

I would love to see a photo of someone wearing the jointed jacket, jointed leather pants (still haven't seen a photo of that piece) and the jointed boots all together.

$5 to whoever can get a good photo taken of it!

You may not be able to move... but you'll be the most badass guy standing still. Wherever that may be.

[/quote]

doesn't osm19 own one? or does it own him?

[/quote]
                              Originally posted by blacksuit
                              wow .. ccp bag is more better than guidi bag?

Comment

• ddohnggo
                                • Oct 2006

plz post pics of the new lamb leather jkt
                                Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢