• Show
Clear All
  • DRRRK
    • Aug 2009

Comment

• Atom
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
      For one SZ brands are not made by artisans, they just give off the scent of it. SZ brands are produced like Gucci, sometimes with nicer fabric and better construction, sometimes not.
      I'm not following you, what are the "SZ brands"? Ann D & LUC has very little in common when it comes to manufacturing, and they're both quite SZ aren't they? And IMO there is more than "scent" of artisanal work in e.g. Carol's and Luca's work: extremely limited runs, hand-finished details, use of rare & experimental materials. If they're not manufacturing their products in-house who cares, as long as they're not claiming they do.

Comment

• marco-von
        • Feb 2009

I wonder what grade of titanium he is using. Would be interesting to know really. Titanium is quite an unusual choice as well, the rest of the materials will disappear around it before the titanium even shows the first sign of a sad smile......quite lightweight and extremely strong especially if he is using grade 4 almost like partial armour to the joints of the wearer. I admire the stuff as objects but not as clothes.

If these costs (which i couldn't care less about as i won't be buying any of it) are true then Carol must really hold his labour and his colleagues workmanship in high stead because that price represents their wage bill rather than the materials.

But while there is rich people with hard ons for the unusual a man with a set of skills and a ego will reap the benefits of the green paper.

Comment

• docus
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by marco-von View Post
          .....But while there is rich people with hard ons for the unusual a man with a set of skills and a ego will reap the benefits of the green paper.
          "An Emperor who cares for nothing but his wardrobe hires two weavers who promise him the finest suit of clothes from a fabric invisible to anyone who is unfit for his position or "just hopelessly stupid". The Emperor cannot see the cloth himself, but pretends that he can for fear of appearing unfit for his position or stupid; his ministers do the same. When the swindlers report that the suit is finished, they dress him in mime and the Emperor then marches in procession before his subjects. A child in the crowd calls out that the Emperor is wearing nothing at all and the cry is taken up by others. The Emperor cringes, suspecting the assertion is true, but holds himself up proudly and continues the procession."

Comment

• Goldsmith
            • Dec 2007

CCP pricing

enough with the inane buying questions
            Last edited by lowrey; 01-14-2011, 09:52 AM. Reason: ...

Comment

• Fuuma
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Atom View Post
              I'm not following you, what are the "SZ brands"? Ann D & LUC has very little in common when it comes to manufacturing, and they're both quite SZ aren't they? And IMO there is more than "scent" of artisanal work in e.g. Carol's and Luca's work: extremely limited runs, hand-finished details, use of rare & experimental materials. If they're not manufacturing their products in-house who cares, as long as they're not claiming they do.
              My point is that they have a lot in common....

As I said before a Thom Browne suit probably has more handwork than any of the designs discussed here. But then many pieces of "designer" brands are surprisingly well made to excellent standards.

For the record the brands that I wear that are very popular on this forum are Demeulemeester, Harnden and Rick Owens so you can see that while I do know more than the average SZers about quality and construction I certainly don't hold it as the exacting standard by which I choose my garments (RO has shitty QC and Harnden is sewn by drunk monkeys, Demeulemeester is usually ok/fine although somewhat fragile).

Note: I'm interested in Poell but, while I do like the hide and seek game he plays with the codes of the art world I'm not really into wearing it although I did keep some old pieces.
              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• philip nod
                • Aug 2007

the quality of thom browne suits have gone way way down in the past couple of years
                One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• cjbreed
                  • Feb 2009

just for the record, you can get this one piece kangaroo leather titanium motorcycle suit with anatomical fit and even some damn perforated leather for less than the price of one hand's worth of titanium leather ccp baby condoms

yeah there might be a good degree of bullshit involved here in ccp-land
                  Last edited by cjbreed; 01-15-2011, 12:04 PM.
                  dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
                    the quality of thom browne suits have gone way way down in the past couple of years
                    You're right, I'm going by the ones I own (made in USA, lots of handwork, full canvass, etc).

BTW Poell is certainly quite intricately made and nice but, for example, his shoes are less complex than simple Corthay Arca (leathers are something else though). This isn't a disparaging comment IMHO as CCP is the most formally interesting designer working right now and I say that, once again, as someone who doesn't really wear his stuff.
                    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• andrewislasorad
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
                      2006 was the heyday of nyc tailoring, sad to see what has become of thom now. at least we have plokhov to look forward to, with this versace manufacturing being put to good use.

Comment

• StrAngeRy
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by StrAngeRy View Post
                        off topic.

I got a quote for this lolglove for 945 EURO each hand.... if you want to get a pair, it's gonna be 945 x 2... does this qualify for the WTF thread?
                        Sorry guys, wrong info, one hand is ONLY 625 EURO.

Comment

• BSR
                          • Aug 2008

great, i'll be able to order them in several colors then
                          is it the only item you asked a quote for btw?
                          pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                          Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Atom
                            • Sep 2009

Price is irrelevant when discussing terminator finger puppets.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                              • Jan 2008

Imagine this. You sweat around your index-finger, but not
                              the others. What do you do: You take one puppet off.
                              You need a cigarette. What do you do: you take two
                              puppets off. The baby is crying. What do you do: you put
                              all ten on(or as many as you need) for a little puppet show.
                              etc. etc. etc. etc...

Very versatile.

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                              Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• kunk75
                                Banned
                                • May 2008

no worse than rick's shower curtain men's dress, everyone fails, ccp just fails at a higher pricepoint

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎