X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Halber Mensch
    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by miserableman View Post

If Carol himself is as tall as people say, and he wears his own clothes then he's not going to look like this in them:
    If I remember correctly, CCP doesn't wear his own clothes. He once said in a German interview that he would feel strange to wear his own creations.
    Allegedly though he tries on every one of his leather jackets.

Comment

• Chant
      Banned
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Halber Mensch View Post
      If I remember correctly, CCP doesn't wear his own clothes. He once said in a German interview that he would feel strange to wear his own creations.
      Allegedly though he tries on every one of his leather jackets.
      He does wear his own clothes. But, really, who cares ? This creator fetishism (what does the designer do ? What does the designer say ?) is a bit boring... Aesthetic principles, shown in and by the work, are more important, and interesting, than any subjective/psychological/biographical motivations.

Originally posted by Raw View Post
      True but I still think knuckle length is a bit long, I like how Christian wears ccp blazers with a fairly classic sleeve length.
      Actually, my arms are a bit too long , that's why all my PO have elongated sleeves (3/4 cms more) so the jackets have the proper knuckle lenght. But CCP designed as well sleeves with "regular" lenght - and not only in the beginning, but even recently : 2007/2008.
      But I'd say that the important feature is actually not the elongated shape, but the very narrow and fitted one (you can see it when you're looking at them from the side, and it is, imo, one of the most beautiful features of CCP's jackets), the elongated sleeves only enhance this feature, but do not create it.
      Another former feature, where the elongated sleeves were important, was the sleeves's trumpet shape (very narrow arms contrasting with the wider wrist).

Regular sleeves lenght (2007/2008) :

[Pics: AtelierNYC]

Side view :

Last edited by Chant; 01-16-2012, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• miserableman
        • Dec 2009

How do you know those are intended to be 'regular sleeve length' as opposed to it being merely down to the model? Isn't that just your presumption based on the picture? To me, the sleeves look no different to normal, the only difference is the model. I haven't noticed any difference in tailored pieces from 07/08 to ones from 09. In fact, if you superimpose a 2010 piece over the top of your image, lining up the shoulder exactly, the sleeve length appears virtually identical:

Also, you can find images of people in 2009 and 2010 pieces where the sleeves look exactly same as that pic and shorter.

eg This, this and this

The 'trumpet' shape seems to really exaggerate shortness of sleeve which does suggests that the sleeve does look best ending at the widest part of the hand.

Comment

• BSR
          • Aug 2008

you have no idea of the pandera's box you just opened my friend
          pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
          Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
            how many guys do you know that invented leather
            okay fair enough. i guess credit should be given where it is due. although it can be argued that margiela did it before him.

i don't understand the sleeve length argument. it seems like all are in agreement. i do notice that the sleeves are/appear shorter when the garments are sized down from one's actual size.
            LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Blackman
              • Feb 2011

How do you know those are intended to be 'regular sleeve length' as opposed to it being merely down to the model? Isn't that just your presumption based on the picture? To me, the sleeves look no different to normal, the only difference is the model. I haven't noticed any difference in tailored pieces from 07/08 to ones from 09. In fact, if you superimpose a 2010 piece over the top of your image, lining up the shoulder exactly, the sleeve length appears virtually identical:

Also, you can find images of people in 2009 and 2010 pieces where the sleeves look exactly same as that pic and shorter.

The 'trumpet' shape seems to really exaggerate shortness of sleeve which does suggests that the sleeve does look best ending at the widest part of the hand.
              shit just got real

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Christian View Post
                He does wear his own clothes. But, really, who cares ? This creator fetishism (what does the designer do ? What does the designer say ?) is a bit boring... Aesthetic principles, shown in and by the work, are more important, and interesting, than any subjective/psychological/biographical motivations.
                That's B_ _ _ _ _S

(More creative that posting pictures!)
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post
                  you have no idea of the pandera's box you just opened my friend
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Halber Mensch
                    • Oct 2011

Good to know Christian. Actually I only relied on his statements from the interview I mentioned.
                    Anyway I absolutely agree with you that a lot of people tend to give to much credit to the personal background of the creator. They seem to think that everything can be explained or understood when they know enough about him or her, which might lead them quickly onto the wrong path.
                    At the end of the day the only thing we are left with is the creation, which is supposed to be primarily viewed as something autonomous, seperated from its maker to gain an objective opinion.

Comment

• michael_kard
                      • Oct 2010

What about simple interest? Why wouldn't you want to know more about the creator of an object you like, especially when it's something as personal, intimate and expressive as clothing. Its simple curiosity and genuine interest, rather than trying to explain everything or to disrespectfully intrude in their life.
                      ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                      Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

In fact, if you superimpose a 2010 piece over the top of your image, lining up the shoulder exactly, the sleeve length appears virtually identical:

wait what??

how can you say these two are the same?

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• miserableman
                          • Dec 2009

I believe Christian was saying the sleeves on the atelier picture are cut to a shorter/regular length, I saying isn't it simply a case of the model being taller making the sleeves look shorter, the sleeves are the same, the model is not.
                          Last edited by miserableman; 01-16-2012, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• BSR
                            • Aug 2008

miserableman to make it short carol has many different cuts for what appears at first sight as the same blazer / same long jacket, and on some the sleeves are shorter, on some they are longer. And that is not based on a digital fantasy but on a first hand experience.
                            pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                            Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

I believe Christian was saying the sleeves on the atelier picture are cut to a shorter/regular length, I saying isn't it simply a case of the model being taller making the sleeves look shorter, the sleeves are the same, the model is not.
                              ok, but lining up the pictures doesn't necessarily tell the truth, there might be a difference in the picture angle which is very hard to notice and could make the proportions appear different.

I would still say sizing and height play a factor here. the Atelier model could be wearing a 46 whereas the other one could easily be a 48 or 50. Add a height difference and there would be a notable difference in the sleeve length.
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• miserableman
                                • Dec 2009

Of course that's true, it's not exactly a reliable comparison. It seems quite obvious to me though that the atelier model is quite tall(with oddly large hands) which is more likely to be the reason for the sleeves looking 'regular'.

I think any very tall person looks like that in carol though, this is my point. It's the same for me in 07/08, 09 and 10 and I imagine if you put say, seenmy in any coat or blazer from 09-10, he would look just like that picture. Hence the question, as ccp is reportedly taller still.
                                Last edited by miserableman; 01-16-2012, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎