Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elephantstone
    • Jan 2011

While I don't consider $300 tees any better than $8000 coats....Just a matter of preference(of course have to do with different levels of balling)..At the end of the day, market determines the price......

Personally I'd just buy the things that make me happy and try not to think too much about the price as long as I can afford them.... One of my friends got the sennheiser orpheus the other day....While I probably will never justify to spend that much on headphones(just like he will never justify to spend what I did on clothings), I wouldn't say he's stupid, why not just get a pair of shure which won't make a difference to most people. If he can afford them without robbing the bank and it makes him happy, then why not...And please don't judge on people simply because they're balling hard... They might done more philanthropies than many out there who never "waste" their money

Comment

• beardown
      rekoner
      • Feb 2009

I don't understand this hesitancy for people to refer to certain artisan items such as clothing as art. I think Lowrey nailed it on the head and used the proper term.

When someone creates something by hand that is of a unique design and there is a history of quality construction and materials, of course it's art. Is it 'l'art' as in it's sold in galleries and hangs on a wall? How did that become the established definition of 'art?'

The best art is the kind of art that has a purpose or serves a function in my eyes. I won't get into what art isn't, but the current state of what most people casually refer to as 'art' is nauseating. I don't believe the term any longer requires any kind of respect in how its used.

I have a problem with paying for a $5,000 jacket personally. I could probably afford it but I don't think I can justify it. A lot of people can, however. Both afford and justify, that is. It's also appropriate to refer to something like this as an investment, especially for those who will wear it on a regular basis for a long period of time.

It's probably self-indulgent in some cases but that's OK. Art is pretty much about self-indulgence as I see it. You're getting something that is produced by hand that bears the flaws and perfections of construction and material. Is choosing what material to use and where to make a fold or place a stitch or a seam really that much different than a painter who chooses colors and decides where to create lines and shapes? I don't think so.

Is creating 15 similar pieces of a jacket or shoes much different than creating 15/15 editions of a print? I mean, at least each piece of clothing bears unique aspects to it and is better than a simple facsimile of the original, which in art, is generally created on a press or with an electronic printer.

I own exactly one piece of CCP right now but I have owned some more in the past. I like the aesthetic and the ideas behind it but more than that, I respect the shit out of the process and the creations. I don't see most of it as a mere product to be priced and hung on racks. Maybe it is but the way that art shows are these days, millions of works of 'art' are hung en masse on walls of galleries across of the world and somehow they justify the prices of that shit.

It's probably futile to debate art. All you need to know is that if something moves you viscerally and personally and its appearance or construction or design touches you in some way...whether it's passion or disgust or seduction, then it's more valuable than the sum of its parts. You can bet your ass on that.

edit: It's tough in my eyes to compare CCP to something like Gucci or LV or Versace, etc. because generally those are frenzies of consumerism where there is logo worship and a visible status attached to the product. Those become almost pop cultural status icons that represent something completely unrelated to garments, style or fashion.
      Originally posted by mizzar
      Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• kuugaia
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by beardown View Post
        It's probably futile to debate art. All you need to know is that if something moves you viscerally and personally and its appearance or construction or design touches you in some way...whether it's passion or disgust or seduction, then it's more valuable than the sum of its parts. You can bet your ass on that.
        ^ This. I keep referring back to the same quote:

An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision. - James Whistler

Comment

• francojean23
          • Sep 2008

The money, which should not be in the mix, brings up art, which also should not be in the mix. I imagine the last person to construct a character that strives to use dress to turn himself into a piece of art was Baudelaire.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by francojean23 View Post
            I imagine the last person to construct a character that strives to use dress to turn himself into a piece of art was Baudelaire.
            i think he'd beg to differ:

LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

The money, which should not be in the mix, brings up art, which also should not be in the mix. I imagine the last person to construct a character that strives to use dress to turn himself into a piece of art was Baudelaire.
              Sir, you forget the man in my signature. Shame on you!
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• francojean23
                • Sep 2008

HA! Yes of course... articulated dandy exemplar, among the likes of the Goncourt brothers and Loos

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

HA! Yes of course... articulated dandy exemplar, among the likes of the Goncourt brothers and Loos
                  I mean, the man said, "One should either a be a work of art or wear a work of art"!!!
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Macro
                    • Apr 2008

Also, Wilde may have uttered the best last words i've ever heard:

"Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
                    every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• lost53
                      • Dec 2010

Adding to this; the preface of "Dorian" has possibly my favorite take on art... culminating with, "art is useless".

Clothing, regardless of how beautiful, refined or conceptual, is applied art.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                        • Jan 2008

Why were the names of two literary figures, Sade and Masoch,
                        used as labels in the nineteenth century to denote two basic
                        'perversions' in clinical psychiatry?
                        Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                        Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• coup de grace
                          x
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                          i think he'd beg to differ:

oh, kudos. if only he had the ccp bone derbies.

Comment

• hurhur
                            • Jan 2011

Just a quick question for guys that own the rubber dipped sneakers. Do the rubber crack after a period of wear? Just got a pair in and the rubber have cracked at places where my feet bend. would they pose a future problem and can I get them re-dipped?

thanks!

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

I wonder how/why that happened. I don't have any cracks on mine and the rubber definitely feels elastic enough to prevent it.
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• michael_kard
                                • Oct 2010

I'd blame sunlight, or maybe exposure to some chemical that dries rubber?

Looks like you're going to be the first (?) to actually have them re-dipped.
                                ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                                Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎