Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michael_kard
    • Oct 2010

I think Lowrey raised a very interesting point about how CCP clothes would be potentially received by an impartial audience in a contemporary art setting. I have a feeling that they wouldn't seem particularly interesting to those who are not familiar with the sartorial conventions CCP re-negotiates and criticizes in his work.

Furthermore, it has been said a million times that these clothes cannot be fully appreciated when only seen. So perhaps a more interactive presentation approach would be most appropriate, but then what's the point, we already have stores for that.
    ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
    Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
      I think he means shown?
      In that case, what's the difference between a gallery show and a museum show? Cause fashion shows are now in quite a few museums.

It does seem that for something to be shown in a gallery, it needs to have a story. I suppose if a Poell story could be told (vis-a-vis, WTF is it doing in a gallery?), then I don't see why not.

And I completely agree with creamster - design and photography are so much more exciting today than the stale antics of contemporary art.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

Well, if people like Vanessa beecroft, Damien Hirst and Tracy Emin can be considered respected artists I dont see why Poell or even other designers like Chalayan's work cannot or shouldn't.
        I actually think this idea of clothing being utilitarian in nature and as such cannot be art is really a bogus argument anyways.
        i have seen some crap that people pass off as art and say to myself.........boy-o-boy
        I think that designers like Chalayan have made works that you would be hard pressed to not acknowledge as art.

the kind of concepts and construction that goes into a lot of Poells work, can and I would go as far as to say should be considered art.............those Drip sneak is the next art peice I am going to own
        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• copacetic
          • Nov 2010

i think it's clear that food and clothing have even more of a place in the pantheon of art than canvas painting, sculpture, and installation art currently have, if only because experiencing them is an act of intimacy. hard to say if i've ever been as "spiritually" close to a work of visual art. there are, however, some candidates.

the problem with the food and clothing, though, is that you eat and expel the former and sweat all over the latter, but if artists' preoccupation with bodily fluids over the past forty or so years of art history is any indicator, sweat and shit can be entry tickets to the great international galleries.
          And "When the prince has gathered about him
          "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• cremaster
            • Jan 2010

I did mean shown.
            Brought it up for 2 reasons.
            I was talking to a guy on the selection panel for a biennale and suggested why not add a fashion designer.
            The other I was reading an interview with Marc Newson where he said Larry Gagosian gave him total freedom, whatever money needed, to put on his first show there. This piqued my interest in seeing what CCP could do when let off the leash so to speak.
            So the proposition of clothing as object/ sculpture as opposed to function has great scope.
            Sorry I missed the last conversation about this, I try to stay with it but somehow things just slip me by!

Comment

• AKA*NYC
              • Nov 2007

contemporary "art" is for the most part a worthless commodity in what is largely a self-serving and self-indulgent ponzi scheme. the "art world" is necessarily adverse to and/or envious of anything that it can't easily co-opt for its own purposes. why look beyond the mass of grad students eager and desperate to deliver exactly what they are taught is needed? sort of like, errr, fashion...

LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Lane
                • Aug 2010

great post, whitehouse rocks

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Very much agree with AKA's words (not necessarily with the picture). Basically, art is now the largest unregulated industry in which the rich can invest their money. Also a good tax haven apparently.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Magic1
                    • Jan 2011

I really enjoyed watching the recent documentary "Exit Through the Gift Shop"

it's about the art industry with a focus on the now famous street art movement. it's worth a look. it's sad and expected, but quite nicely done.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

What's really interesting about the documentary is that we don't know if that other guy is real or another Banksy hoax.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Magic1
                        • Jan 2011

yes and I don't know that I'm not I am a brain in a vat.

I'm pretty sure it's banksy, but hey, I don't know 100% with absolute complete certainty! but I guess it adds another dimension to the film
                        Last edited by Magic1; 03-22-2012, 02:03 AM.

Comment

• Icarium
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          I love that article. It makes me want to learn how to tax shelter which feels like pre-cursor to hacking before computers were invented. Not that I ever had an inclination to learn how to hack.

Comment

• gavagai
                            • May 2010

yes, "EXIT THROUGH THE GIFTSHOP" was brilliant on many levels.

towards the end...

Banksy: I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore.

Comment

• kunk75
                              Banned
                              • May 2008

the general consensus is that he is an actor and a creation of banksy both literally and figuratively

Originally posted by Magic1 View Post
                              yes and I don't know that I'm not I am a brain in a vat.

I'm pretty sure it's banksy, but hey, I don't know 100% with absolute complete certainty! but I guess it adds another dimension to the film

Comment

• cjbreed
                                • Feb 2009

dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎