Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peasant
    • Jul 2009

If the fabric is labeled EDGE it certainly was created with the edge. But it the design of the piece doesn't incorporate edges to show then you won't see them. I have a coat in an edge fabric but its an 09' design, thus you don't see the edge. The high prices are largely attributed to the actual design ad construction.

Comment

• Peasant
      • Jul 2009

The construction of an edged piece takes much more fabric. Equals higher prices.

Comment

• timberlakeld
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Peasant View Post
        The construction of an edged piece takes much more fabric. Equals higher prices.
        Yep you are right, for the selfedge pieces, they dont use the central part of fabric, they will be alll wasted. But these "wasted" edge fabrics can be used to make a regular piece.

Comment

• timberlakeld
          • Mar 2010

and the edge fabrics cost more than other regular fabric like wim.. coz they use the japanese vintage machine to produce the fabric, only limited amount of edge fabrics can be produced per day

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Peasant View Post
            If you think about it, Carol's techniques - self-edge, dead-end seams, spirals - are probably the most unsustainable ones in the amount of fabric waste they generate.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

they use the excess fabric where possible though, and if I remember correctly they have some of the fabrics produced in atypical widths to accomodate the need for the selfedge pieces. meaning the actuall roll of fabric is for example half the width of normal so there is two times more "edge" per sqm. of course, this is also more expensive than using a standard material.

its been a couple of years since they explained this to me though so I might not remember it exactly right...
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Peasant
                • Jul 2009

^^ Profit over fashion over function.

Comment

• Macro
                  • Apr 2008

*sigh*

self-edge. custom produced fabrics made on japanese shuttle looms. the selvage is the finished edge of the woven fabric. the wovens are unwashed in order to fully preserve the purity of the completed material. each pattern piece is cut against the selvage, a complicated process when forming individual pieces of a garment. the seamwork on the finished garment incorporates the selvage, and seams are closed, at times, using alternative procedures (glue, etc). clothes are steamed, pressed, and moulded into the desired shape.

and to all you n00bs: understand the value when attempting to rationalize the price. there seems to be a disconnect with some of you.

much love
                  every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• Peasant
                    • Jul 2009

It's true. When you look at the construction and technique its pretty mind-blowing. The time involved in a single blazer is staggering. And the dead-end pieces; to fit that well and look so good with that concept is almost impossible to understand. Beyond everyone else.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

The dead-end pieces, or the dead-end prices?
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Macro
                        • Apr 2008

OH NO YOU DI'ENT!

every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• Lane
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Well, judging by those photos Carol should stick to men's clothes... I am sure there are women out there who would want to look like Nazi lesbians though, so what do I know.
                          lol, fuckin A

Comment

• mizzar
                            • Mar 2008

About selfedge pieces construction.
                            Got some JPGxLevi's japan selvedge jacket, have a lot, i mean A LOT of visible selvedge, construction-wise it's not even changed in many ways from classical levi's jacket(achievement on it's own), but fit is better.
                            Why did i brought that up?
                            Because price in that jacket was like on a rick owens tee, around 200 eur.
                            So any japan shutle looms, construction, etc is legend, like high-end sound Ethernet cables for 700 eur.
                            It's cost so much because it's Poell:
                            The development of this pieces was hard and took much time,
                            incorporating idea and material in patterns and Poell's body of work was,
                            i presume, freaking hard. Yeah and marketing, i mean "exclusivity" wink wink.
                            That's making those pricey, not construction jumbo-mumbo.
                            ____
                            sorry for my bad english, i learned it from the book.

I too am inspired by homeless people when I buy a $1,000 jacket. Why don't we just shit on them? Oh, fashion, sometimes I wonder why I bother...(Faust)

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

well, yes and no. there is obviously "somewhat" of a difference between how much fabric CCP and Levis use and have access to. one makes a million garments per year, the other a thousand. so naturally the resources are different. also it doesn't make sense to just compare one random fabric to another. I'm not trying to justify the pricing, thats up to everyones own discretion, but I'm just saying that comparing just any selvedge denim product doesn't make much sense.
                              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Macro View Post
                                OH NO YOU DI'ENT!
                                What? It was witty!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎