• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Jon View Post
    yes, indeed we have. i'd definitely argue that not only is his womenswear superior (and always has been, imo) but also it seems to be a lot less conservative.

I appreciate Rick and he's probably one of the most talented and cool designers around. I was mostly just venting - I'm feeling pretty fucking jaded with everything these days.
    Yep. Not jaded though - I think that many people who have followed fashion for a while feel like we are at a low point. The old master (and all of a sudden, the Belgian Six have become the old masters
    ) are slowly diluting their brands, the new generation wants immediate stardom. It's shit. Only Yohji and Carol excite me these days. Thank god for Chalayan, Watanabe and McQueen womenswear.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
      • Sep 2006

i think everything is too catered towards a target market, but in that sense i feel like there are still some exciting new designers... but whereas awhile ago if you look at margiela for example his clothes would look great on everyone.

re: rick i have felt this way for a few years now, but i also feel it in regards to his womenswear.

Comment

• Jon
        • Apr 2008

i find that there's crazy pressure to succeed and make a name for yourself in this business and it's very saturated right now. Add to that, that it's so easy to go out of business.

It seems like everybody (with the exception of Carol, MA+, etc...) seem to go for a big business model with PR, sales, marketing, and who knows how many people doing how many different specializations who all need a piece of the pie. It's this business model that really bothers me lately.

It's non-mainstream designers taking on mainstream business practices to make money. more artistry, please.
        Originally posted by merz
        perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I was talking about it with my cousin today - it seems like whenever a profession reaches a level of celebrity, the immense pressure and the overwhelming desire to become the next superstar kicks in, and then the rat race is on. It's happening in cooking now, where chefs are beginning to gain celeb status, and it's been happening in fashion since Tom Ford.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jon
            • Apr 2008

I think it's an inevitable aspect of the human condition. things need to be simplified, categorized, and delivered for consumption. things that take time and effort to understand and appreciate maybe don't get the attention they used to.

in short, it's cheap intellectualism and inefficiency is the greatest crime.

adding:
            I suppose this applies mainly to society taken as a whole and the whole 'lowest common denominator' bullshit.
            Originally posted by merz
            perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• drexl
              • Sep 2006

Spoke with Anna from Mona Moore this afternoon, turns out Rick will be doing a runway show for mens for fall-winter 09 on the 23rd. I'm guessing January so that means it would be in Paris. Guess mens is doing pretty damn well for him.

Comment

• darker shades
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                I was talking about it with my cousin today - it seems like whenever a profession reaches a level of celebrity, the immense pressure and the overwhelming desire to become the next superstar kicks in, and then the rat race is on. It's happening in cooking now, where chefs are beginning to gain celeb status, and it's been happening in fashion since Tom Ford.
                That is very true......I think Faust has a good point. I was chatting to a friend that works for a PR company in NY just last week, and she mentioned that even that wacky stylist Rachel Zoe has a publicist. Does then make her a "some-what" celebrity? She also told me that she even has an entourage.....which is putting a whole new term to celebrity stylists.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Yea, now we have celebrity celebrity stylists

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
                    • Sep 2006

she has her own tv show! her assistant wears rick owens.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

i'd shoot her in the face

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• maldoror
                        • Jun 2007

lmfao! hilarious, but not even a joke.

I mean it's either that or

Comment

• Nathaniel Dwell
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          [quote user="new_dawn_fades"][quote user="Faust"][quote user="new_dawn_fades"]

Kodak.. i am also not sure why but He must havehad a private showing to buyers only or something on those lines..

there arent many looks on the website tho.. but they look pretty good..

i like how he used what looks like a very light organdy or voile? on a bomber with tucks, panels etc...

u can even see the tshirt through it.. that seems very interesting.. the kind of design i look forward to seeing..

i think that collection(mailine) on the website is probably one of the best ss07 menswear i have seen..

like the double breaasted coat with the inverted pleat on the back... beautiful play on masculine feminine aspects/balance.. etc.

I just love his use of fabrics...amazing feel..

but what ticks me off sometimes is the way its cut...almost as if u have to be over 6'1 (im 5'10-11)

and his tees are soo damn long.. on me at least..

and ofcourse the pricetag :P

im a student sale slut :P

Yea, many of his cuts are ridiculous. I have to say though, there is something about that unapologetic stance, a certain sense of integrity. I don't think he is being elitist the way Balenciaga or Dior Homme are, using super skinny cuts as a marketing gimmick to increase desirability for their product (both houses has let out some inches in their sizing since, sort of opening the flood gates for the hungry consumer) - I think he just does clothes the way he sees it. Rei Kawakubo have always said that she got into designing because she did not see the clothes she wanted to wear, and that shed did everything as if for herself. I sense the same thing with Rick Owens. He is asking of people to share in a certain aesthetic, nothing more - I respect that (it's also one of the reasons I love Ann so much, she seems to have the most integrity as a designer - all she is looking for is for people who share her aesthetic). Most of Rick's clothes are not for me, but I still like them.

[/quote]

i totally agree with you on that note.. i totally respect the angle he is coming from..

what i meant is that its annoying for me cos i love his clothes so much...and i can pull a lot of his clothes off... just those tshirts... :D

its a question of me being able to afford it... hopefully sooner..

[/quote]

I gotcha.

[/QUOTE]

rad

Comment

• J_J
                            • Apr 2008

not sure if Jenny has worn RO, but I know Georgina from last season wore the classic leather a lot.

Comment

• D_S
                              • Jul 2008

Gossip girl?

Sounds like another reason to be glad I dont have a tv?

Comment

• andrewislasorad
                                • Nov 2006

Antonioli has SS09 up for presale

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡