Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raw Edge
    • Jan 2008

My point exactly. I wasnt saying "old guys should wear suits." what i was saying was- for all the hate on "sartorialist" type style or oldfashioned menswear, then I see someone look like this, clearly within "the rick look" but looks way stupider than any suit or most dolce and gabana crap, and I think, hmm, this matching jacket and trainers probably cost as much as a bespoke suit and this guy looks like he's a 50 year old doing an impression of an 18 year old douche. Its to say, I dont think its as simple as "rick good, suit bad." Especially not on middle aged european men.

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
    The guy doesn't look bad because he's not wearing a suit or is wearing rick or has grey hair. He's wearing MATCHING JACKET AND SNEAKERS FFS!

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
      The guy doesn't look bad because he's not wearing a suit or is wearing rick or has grey hair. He's wearing MATCHING JACKET AND SNEAKERS FFS!
      well said.
      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• loveless
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
        hmmmmmm....

are you male or female? If the latter, this shot is pretty sexy. If the former, I take that back.

LOLzers

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

A large portion of the brands we discuss here look better on older people IMHO, feels weird when I see 20 y/o rocking some of that stuff...
          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Catfood
            • Oct 2008

I like the look of old guy in rick for some reason. he looks interesting at least, stands out from other people his age. I don't really see why older guys should be limited to classic menswear. I've seen worse on younger guys too, don't think he looks as contrived as that picture of Marc Jacobs decked out in rick that was posted here for example.

Reminds me of when I saw this lady in her mid fifties with rick sneaks a while back pulling it of really well in my opinion. She wasn't wearing rick from top to toe though, which probably helped as far as looking contrived goes.

Comment

• loveless
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Raw Edge View Post
              Really though-
              This middle aged guy in the matching jacket at trainers looks like such an assclown it makes me want to do everything in my power never to go near:
              a) rick trainers
              b) anything that matchy
              c) shit like that when I'm 50.

I'll take an old-man Brioni suit over this any day.
              if he had the matching RO cape / shawl he could be a luxury superhero....

Comment

• Raw Edge
                • Jan 2008

my point was not that old guys SHOULD limit themselves to classic stuff, it was that we here SHOULDN'T limit ourselves to all-rick type outfits, because different individuals are suited to different personal styles.
                And that seeing that guy, I hoped I would not end up a 50 year old man in that ugly matchy overly designer gear posting outfits like
                "Rick/Rick/Drapey Rick/Rick Shorts/Matchy Rick"
                because, if given only two choices, at 50 I'd rather be limited to classic menswear, something mostly ignored here, than that.

Originally posted by Catfood View Post
                I like the look of old guy in rick for some reason. he looks interesting at least, stands out from other people his age. I don't really see why older guys should be limited to classic menswear. I've seen worse on younger guys too, don't think he looks as contrived as that picture of Marc Jacobs decked out in rick that was posted here for example.

Reminds me of when I saw this lady in her mid fifties with rick sneaks a while back pulling it of really well in my opinion. She wasn't wearing rick from top to toe though, which probably helped as far as looking contrived goes.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                  • Nov 2008

Faust, you don't like suits? I think I prefer the look of a nice suit on a well-put together older man than I do on a younger one. I think that's what my issue with Wintershorts is. He looks too well-put together and proper in something that's meant to be messy.. The sneakers are a good example in how they look so much cooler as they get a bit dirtier.

And Fuuma, Rick Owens not directed toward youth culture? Or (old) Raf Simons, Damir Doma, or Virdi Anne, etc?

I think it looks spectacular on younger guys, ahem, like myself.. My image of Rick is one of bringing grime into high fashion, even though it might not be reflected in a lot of his other designs. The punk/hardcore influence is apparent in some very key pieces. It's like, have fun, get dirty, while you're young, then clean your filthy self up. Suits and outfits of an older age are, more often than not, more suitable for an older male, and I'm looking forward to getting grey when the time comes.. If it does.

My personal take, naturally.
                  Originally posted by philip nod
                  somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Davie
                    • Nov 2007

On the other hand, those girls look amazing!

Comment

• tangerine
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
                      ...The punk/hardcore influence is apparent in some very key pieces. It's like, have fun, get dirty, while you're young, then clean your filthy self up...
                      John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) born 1956, current age 52.
                      Joe Strummer born 1952, died 2002, age 50.
                      Richard Hell, born 1949, current age 59.
                      James Osterberg (Iggy Pop), born 1947, current age 61.

Who do you think owns punk rock?

It's always about what you can carry off.

I agree with Johnny; matching sneakers and jacket?!

I do agree with you, BeauIXI, that part of the problem is the du's clothes are too clean and sharp-looking.
                      the woman Balmain is wild, casual, explosive cocktail of a sailor and a ballerina

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
                        Faust, you don't like suits? I think I prefer the look of a nice suit on a well-put together older man than I do on a younger one. I think that's what my issue with Wintershorts is. He looks too well-put together and proper in something that's meant to be messy.. The sneakers are a good example in how they look so much cooler as they get a bit dirtier.

And Fuuma, Rick Owens not directed toward youth culture? Or (old) Raf Simons, Damir Doma, or Virdi Anne, etc?

I think it looks spectacular on younger guys, ahem, like myself.. My image of Rick is one of bringing grime into high fashion, even though it might not be reflected in a lot of his other designs. The punk/hardcore influence is apparent in some very key pieces. It's like, have fun, get dirty, while you're young, then clean your filthy self up. Suits and outfits of an older age are, more often than not, more suitable for an older male, and I'm looking forward to getting grey when the time comes.. If it does.

Yea, I associate suits with the gray Wall St. soldiers, the drugery, the uniform, the cages of routine and structured complacent society. Chuck it up to 10 years of Wall St. I appreciate good suits because I respect sartorial history, but I don't like them.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BeauIXI
                          • Nov 2008

^Agree with some of the above points.

@tangerine: I was pointing out the influence, not ownership.

@Faust: I agree with a lot of that, but I feel that a suit can be kind of universal. It does instantly transform one into a businessman.
                          Originally posted by philip nod
                          somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Jon
                            • Apr 2008

guys... i think 'old dude' works for/with Rick Owens...
                            Originally posted by merz
                            perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• tangerine
                              • Dec 2006

I could have phrased it better by saying that it is natural for (some) 50-year-olds to find resonance in Rick's designs.
                              the woman Balmain is wild, casual, explosive cocktail of a sailor and a ballerina

Comment

• philip nod
                                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Raw Edge View Post
                                my point was not that old guys SHOULD limit themselves to classic stuff, it was that we here SHOULDN'T limit ourselves to all-rick type outfits, because different individuals are suited to different personal styles.
                                And that seeing that guy, I hoped I would not end up a 50 year old man in that ugly matchy overly designer gear posting outfits like
                                "Rick/Rick/Drapey Rick/Rick Shorts/Matchy Rick"
                                because, if given only two choices, at 50 I'd rather be limited to classic menswear, something mostly ignored here, than that.
                                yeah, jon, i've met this dude like four times and he is always head to toe. he always comes off as really happy and outgoing and obviously loves his job working for Rick and representing the company. i think raw edge you would do quite well to end up like him. i think his attitude hits the right rick outcast note.
                                One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎