X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hobo
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Servo2000 View Post
    Something I've been thinking about recently when seenmy posted his recent all-rick WAYWT was how he mentioned that even just trying the head-to-toe offhand feels pretty good. It matches my experiences just trying the stuff on even though it's occasionally somewhat outlandish - the sensation I have is that I'm more comfortable in similarly 'difficult' rick clothing as I would be if I was trying on, say, Yohji or Demeulemeester. My suspicion is that it's something of a 'rick owens shield' where the stigma and personal brand associations support your own notions of wearing the clothing even despite the incredulity of others.

or is it just the clothes? perhaps others have had a similar notion.
    I’ve never thought about it before but I think that you're absolutely right. Some lines do have this ‘Shield’, but I would urge caution, because I would imagine that the shield’s power will fade with time and although you may not wear said clothing in 20/30 years, we live in the age of digital media, and you may have to explain yourself to incredulous children or grand children. Maybe some things are best left on the catwalk!
    "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• hobo
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by DamageX View Post
      I've never been a fan of Velcro, it doesn't age well, catches clothing and looks kind of tacky in my opinion. Nothing beats metal hardware
      I don't mind Velcro, I think that it looks kinda cool when it gets old and fucked up, but I have to agree, give me metal hardware and I'm happy. Love Rick's jackets but its CD and m.a+ all the way for me! Handmade metal hooks and buttons rock!
      "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• kbi
        • Feb 2009

I think it won't be such a huge problem when you wear knitwear underneath ... it's no surprise that such a light garment as a ro tee sticks to the velcro.
        Last edited by kbi; 07-17-2009, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• Larry
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by kbi View Post
          I think it won't be such a huge problem when you wear knitwear underneath ... it's no surprise that such a light garment as a ro tee sticks to the velcro.
          Where is the rock and roll?

I always though fashion like Rick Owens was for people living on the edge, you know who you are ;) But reading through this forum if you exchanged the word Rick Owens with Pentium IV, you would probably have an interesting discussion.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Larry View Post
            Where is the rock and roll?

I always though fashion like Rick Owens was for people living on the edge, you know who you are ;) But reading through this forum if you exchanged the word Rick Owens with Pentium IV, you would probably have an interesting discussion.
            actually no, dude, it's not.
            LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• mrbeuys
              • May 2008

Welcome Larry, nice entrance...
              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Larry
                • Jul 2009

It is though ;)

You walk down the street and you see the rick owens aesthetic but its just natural, they don't even know who rick owens is.

Reading the threads here, alot of people remind me of those guys who work in a bank but become hells angels at the weekend.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

And what do you remind yourself of?
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Larry
                    • Jul 2009

Lets put it this way, rick owens, he's a human, he has lived a life the same as the rest of us. Do you think though he could do what he does if that life consisted of examining the finer points of velcro on his jackets? No. He lived on the edge and now he wraps it up in a commercial package for nerds with more money than sense who live in places like America or Norway and use words like Douch.

The edge is still out there, always will be, but you can't buy it in a shop. Rick Owens knows this I'm sure.
                    Last edited by Larry; 07-17-2009, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• crz
                      • Apr 2008

douche*

..this forum discusses design.. good and bad.. and it seems the velcro is a part of the overall design

Rick lives on the edge? He takes naps everyday

Comment

• Larry
                        • Jul 2009

You know what I'm talking about.

Every two bit punk/traveller/crustie in europe has been wearing drop crotch pants for years. Friends of mine are punks and live in a squat and dress better than any undercover or number nine collection.

Comment

• crz
                          • Apr 2008

post pics of your friends

Comment

• Larry
                            • Jul 2009

I appreciate fashion in that for one moment on the cat walk it can create a different world. But in reality this place does not exist. Sure its aspirational, to have the life of that moment, we dress up to be part of it and take pictures and share them with others on the internet and it forms a community, which has to be commended in the current day and age. Also its nice to be interested in something rather than just living life day to day. But I do feel there is a certain amount of exploitation in selling this dream to people.

Comment

• justine
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Larry View Post
                              The edge is still out there, always will be, but you can't buy it in a shop. Rick Owens knows this I'm sure.
                              I feel like I'm in high school

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Cue in Aerosmith, Living on the Edge.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎