Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crz
    • Apr 2008

mrbeuys.. your avatar confuses me.. always makes me think you wear suits, and not rick haha

Comment

• hobo
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by crz View Post
      mrbeuys.. your avatar confuses me.. always makes me think you wear suits, and not rick haha
      I may be wrong, but isn't it Joseph Beuys' felt suit?
      "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Rech
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
        I think he means that's a lot of rick.
        Works for me. Rick goes well with Rick as Faust said.
        I am milano today and it doesn't work quite the same way with some of the lovely Italian labels on display here. Ouch. I stick out like a sore thumb.
        Yeah Italian labels + Rick = 90% Fail... (obviusly excluding Altieri Amedei & Laurini....and maybe Giorgio Brato)

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I think he means that's a lot of rick.
          Works for me. Rick goes well with Rick as Faust said.
          I am milano today and it doesn't work quite the same way with some of the lovely Italian labels on display here. Ouch. I stick out like a sore thumb.
          Actually credit goes to Fuuma for this fine observatin.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by hobo View Post
            I may be wrong, but isn't it Joseph Beuys' felt suit?
            Yes, it is. CRZ, homework FAIL!
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Aleks
              • Feb 2009

I think Mike meant that the look is a bit excessive/too much. Which I sort of agree.

Comment

• i think it's the headband. everything but the headband is stellar.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by Rech View Post
                  Yeah Italian labels + Rick = 90% Fail... (obviusly excluding Altieri Amedei & Laurini....and maybe Giorgio Brato)
                  Sorry. What I meant was 100% rick works, but head to toe roberto cavalli is not so much total look but rather total disaster.
                  And yes, it's the felt suit in my avatar.
                  Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Rech
                    • Apr 2009

Sorry. What I meant was 100% rick works, but head to toe roberto cavalli is not so much total look but rather total disaster.
                    Sorry i thought you meant matching Rick with italian label..
                    oouch Roberto cavalli total look....

Comment

• hobo
                      • Jul 2009

I don't know... I think that a total look of any designer shows a certain lack of thought. It's easy to wear a look that you see on the catwalk or in a magazine, but it shows nothing of your own identity. It shows only the identity of the designer and stylist (if it's from a mag). To me this denotes a fashion victim, whether it's LV, Prada, Comme or Rick. A victim is not someone who wears some wild and outrageous thing that you don’t happen to like. Individual style has nothing to do with it! That is subjective and by that line of thinking we would all be victims, of one sort or another, in someone’s book. No, a victim is someone who makes a bold statement with their clothing and the statement says absolutely nothing. It's like standing in the street and shouting, “listen to me, listen to me!” and then when everyone listens, you say "oh I forgot what I wanted to say." That’s a victim.

Clothing should make a statement about who you are, where you’re from and who you aspire to be. It can be bold or it can be subtle. It can be Gucci or it can be Grandma, but it must be honest. I see little honesty in a ‘total look’, unless you happen to work for the designer.

Come on, give it some thought!

Originally posted by crz View Post
                      I don't know if you know but J. Beuys was a fighter pilot during the 1st world war (I think that's right). Anyway, he was shot down somewhere over Eastern Europe/Western Russia and he was very badly burned. The people that found him and pulled him from the wreckage, nursed him back to health by covering his burns in fat and wrapping him in felt, but his burns were so bad that most people would have died. He was be ridden in this way for many months. Later when he became an artist the fat and felt played a large part in his work as it had literally saved his life. The suit had particular resonance.

Now that’s a suit!!!
                      "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

I don't know... I think that a total look of any designer shows a certain lack of thought. It's easy to wear a look that you see on the catwalk or in a magazine, but it shows nothing of your own identity. It shows only the identity of the designer and stylist (if it's from a mag). To me this denotes a fashion victim, whether it's LV, Prada, Comme or Rick. A victim is not someone who wears some wild and outrageous thing that you don’t happen to like. Individual style has nothing to do with it!
                        I think you conflate two things here. The first is wearing a look from a show. The second is wearing an entire outfit from one designer.

Wearing a runway/show/magazine outfit shows nothing of the wearer's identity, and I think is summarized well by your screaming on the street analogy. Or, at least those runway outfits that anyone notices are summarized well that way.

But, to my mind, there's nothing wrong with wearing an entire outfit from one designer. It may not show as much creativity as mixing and matching designers, but it may well. Over the years, designers will make very different pieces (and some less consistent or thematic designers will even do so in one season). Mixing and matching them can certainly express something about the wearer. There's no reason that a designer x jacket, trousers, shoes, and shirt is universally less creative than mixing and matching thematically similar designers. I suspect the most creative and interesting outfits will draw from multiple designers, but in the more day-to-day variety, I'm comfortable with occasionally wearing all one designer (for me, when this happens, it's attachment or ann d). Also, forgetting creativity and contribution, sometimes it's nice to revel in a designer's vision.
                        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• hobo
                          • Jul 2009

^ Conceded!

However I would like to clarify that what I’m talking about is not necessarily creativity, although one must have some in order to think this way. What I’m talking about is a scene of self and of self worth and from that a person choosing to use his/her clothing to express his/her personality, whether it’s super cool, bland or just fucking nuts. That may be realised in a pair of Gap shorts and a second hand T-shirt, or it might be by looking like the girl in French Vogue, but it can’t be realised by dressing up to try to convince the world and yourself that you are in fact someone else. So, I suppose that you’re right in that the expression may be realised in a ‘total look’.

Thanks; A good point and well put!

Comment

• mrbeuys
                            • May 2008

^^ What he said.
                            Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Rech
                              • Apr 2009

I don't know... I think that a total look of any designer shows a certain lack of thought. It's easy to wear a look that you see on the catwalk or in a magazine, but it shows nothing of your own identity. It shows only the identity of the designer and stylist (if it's from a mag). To me this denotes a fashion victim, whether it's LV, Prada, Comme or Rick. A victim is not someone who wears some wild and outrageous thing that you don’t happen to like. Individual style has nothing to do with it! That is subjective and by that line of thinking we would all be victims, of one sort or another, in someone’s book. No, a victim is someone who makes a bold statement with their clothing and the statement says absolutely nothing. It's like standing in the street and shouting, “listen to me, listen to me!” and then when everyone listens, you say "oh I forgot what I wanted to say." That’s a victim.

Clothing should make a statement about who you are, where you’re from and who you aspire to be. It can be bold or it can be subtle. It can be Gucci or it can be Grandma, but it must be honest. I see little honesty in a ‘total look’, unless you happen to work for the designer.

Come on, give it some thought!
                              mmm i think it's 99% right...

if some one buy a total look thinking "now i'm on!!!" (here we have the 99%..) is a victim in the same way you have told before.. (i think it's just a short way to be something that you arent just for get approvation or disapprovation...)
                              but if some one (i think a lot of people here) match a look of some piece of the same designer looking at the proportion, etc.. i think he just like what he wear ...

Comment

• Rech
                                • Apr 2009

^ Conceded!

However I would like to clarify that what I’m talking about is not necessarily creativity, although one must have some in order to think this way. What I’m talking about is a scene of self and of self worth and from that a person choosing to use his/her clothing to express his/her personality, whether it’s super cool, bland or just fucking nuts. That may be realised in a pair of Gap shorts and a second hand T-shirt, or it might be by looking like the girl in French Vogue, but it can’t be realised by dressing up to try to convince the world and yourself that you are in fact someone else. So, I suppose that you’re right in that the expression may be realised in a ‘total look’.

Thanks; A good point and well put!

Thats a good point.. and it's what i wanna tell..

For me isnt important if you wear Rick D&G or used tees..i think is important don't judge people for what they wear but for the way they wear it...
                                You have to feel what you wear...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎