X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BeauIXI
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Canaduh0415 View Post
    Agreed on the last sentence, but do you find a certain disposition attracted to a certain aesthetic is what I am adding to this discussion, or are these just part of the kaleidoscope within the personality of any urban dweller?
    Thaaank you.

I'm sure that people would love to throw around terms like facist pig jerks, but we're not discussing whether we personally like things, we're trying to discuss why a person chooses to wear certain things and act a certain way, aren't we? Can we please elevate beyond one particular boy's outfit and persona and discuss larger things, like the cross-pollination of personality and aesthetic? I would like to build on Canaduh's ideas, and add that a certain disposition has been, for a long while, attracted to the variable that is "edgy, popular, unique", currently occupied by Gareth Pugh, Rick Owens, medges... Let's not fill this space up with spiteful discussions about one person or group of people.. Who here finds that they are represented well by their outfits? Does your wardrobe represent you, and is it what you yourself would like to represent?
    Originally posted by philip nod
    somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• hobo
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
      Thaaank you.

I'm sure that people would love to throw around terms like facist pig jerks, but we're not discussing whether we personally like things, we're trying to discuss why a person chooses to wear certain things and act a certain way, aren't we? Can we please elevate beyond one particular boy's outfit and persona and discuss larger things, like the cross-pollination of personality and aesthetic? I would like to build on Canaduh's ideas, and add that a certain disposition has been, for a long while, attracted to the variable that is "edgy, popular, unique", currently occupied by Gareth Pugh, Rick Owens, medges... Let's not fill this space up with spiteful discussions about one person or group of people.. Who here finds that they are represented well by their outfits? Does your wardrobe represent you, and is it what you yourself would like to represent?
      Respect.
      "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by hobo View Post
        Oh god, I can hardly see the screen!

I should go now!
        You are not going anywhere! And this is all well documented.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Yes I have, and they annoy me too if I'm honest! But I wish that they didn't. Because I'm better than that!

What are we here to discuss aesthetics or politics.

To me he's just a kid trying to get noticed, like any other kid of the same age.

In fact scrub that... He's just trying to get noticed like all the rest of us, he just hasn't learned the game like you and I... and maybe he never will!
          Well, he's been noticed
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Ok, first of all let it be known that I've had a drink... again! So sorry, before I start but...

Thank you guys, finally someone says it as it is. There is not a lot to add to these eloquent points of view, but to say to all those who slated this kid, you're missing the point. You are not even debating his costume but his motives! And that my friends is where we get into scary fascist shit! There are plenty of people out there who wear naff outfits, but what you have to ask yourself is, why you picked this kid to attack. The issues are bigger than what he is wearing. The issue is his freedom to wear what he chooses without being bullied into conforming, which is ironically exactly what he is rebelling against.

There is no difference between the people who criticize this kid on the basis of what he represents, and the middle class drones who look you up and down in your Rick Owens when you enter a posh restaurant.

YOU ARE JUDJING HIM (not his outfit)! For fuck's sake, can you not see what is wrong with that, or are you exactly the kind of thoughtless, conservative, elitists that I have bucked against all my life???

The contest regarding representation isn't as much about what is shown but about whom is authorized to show what and to which affect. We're entering the realm of power dynamics, status and even a sort of paternalistic, top down view of fashion, things could get ugly.
            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Canaduh0415
              • Feb 2008

agreed, ie, Age of Aquarius, ie/ story of Zeus and Ganymede...
              It has been a very difficult year

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Canaduh0415 View Post
                agreed, ie, Age of Aquarius, ie/ story of Zeus and Ganymede...
                Not sure I follow you, I mainly associate Zeus/Ganymede w. pederasty, youth/old age, and parental de facto authorization. Sure there's an imbalance of power inherent in the myth but it's a different ballgame. Care to explain?
                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Canaduh0415
                  • Feb 2008

Think dominance, regenerative force of the phallus, leaves Ganymede in Sky (Zeus, bi-sexual, flies down as Eagle, ie Constellation, grand Clock, Aquarius...do you not see a certain aesthetic prevailing throughout menswear, and perhaps has been so for quite a while..I believe you were alluding to this anyhow, with regard to authorization

Comment

• Canaduh0415
                    • Feb 2008

Not saying that sexuality is tied to a particular piece, just mentioning the ambivalance with a severe or radical contrast in an overtly gender specific style without any comment heretofore of the piece itself and expanding into an overall non sentience regarding a movement in culture...but more of a prompt since I myself am reflecting more deeply on branching theses.

Comment

• DHC
                      • Jul 2007

Oh god, I can hardly see the screen!

I should go now!
                      Ok,

Really, I can't see the monitor...

I have to go now!!!
                      Originally posted by Faust
                      fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• DANSER
                        • Nov 2008

the RICKSTER!!!

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• cjbreed
                            • Feb 2009

^^haha perfect
                            hadn't checked thread for a while and that silly emoticon sums it up beautifully!
                            dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• hobo
                              • Jul 2009

Sorry!!!
                              "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." — Oscar Wilde

Comment

• christianef
                                • Feb 2009

Ok, first of all let it be known that I've had a drink... again! So sorry, before I start but...

Thank you guys, finally someone says it as it is. There is not a lot to add to these eloquent points of view, but to say to all those who slated this kid, you're missing the point. You are not even debating his costume but his motives! And that my friends is where we get into scary fascist shit! There are plenty of people out there who wear naff outfits, but what you have to ask yourself is, why you picked this kid to attack. The issues are bigger than what he is wearing. The issue is his freedom to wear what he chooses without being bullied into conforming, which is ironically exactly what he is rebelling against.

There is no difference between the people who criticize this kid on the basis of what he represents, and the middle class drones who look you up and down in your Rick Owens when you enter a posh restaurant.

YOU ARE JUDJING HIM (not his outfit)! For fuck's sake, can you not see what is wrong with that, or are you exactly the kind of thoughtless, conservative, elitists that I have bucked against all my life???

yeah, at this point i think that idea that 'fashion in its lowest form comes in the shape of some type of self expression' is easily absorbed and its time to move on to whether or not stuff is good. for this its essential to focus on the individual which is why i took issue with this specific aesthetic to begin with. and thats all i took issue with as i mentioned several times. i don't care what he represents, he looks tacky.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎