X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trentk
    • Oct 2010

Rick Owens and California

I just moved back to california, and was thinking about the state's influence on rick's aesthetic:

- futuristic, minimalist black clothing isn't too far a cry from a black wetsuit.
    - some of rick's spring/summer looks come across as highbrow renditions of the norcal skater uniform: baggy dark shorts, simple neutral colored tshirts or tanks, and trainers.

On another note: would a california surfer (messy blonde hair, tan, muscular) wearing rick owens come across as incongruous?

edit: stupid question.... if iggy pop doesn't look good in rick owens, nobody does
    "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• jogu
      • Jun 2009

ewww ya idk bout a blond surfer type all muscley and tan wearin rick . when i try to imagine it i get grossed out , like hes doin that hang10 sign with his hands and stickin his tongue out while wearin like a full rick fit vomit

Comment

• kunk75
        Banned
        • May 2008

see below for some observations

Originally posted by trentk View Post
        I just moved back to california, and was thinking about the state's influence on rick's aesthetic:

- futuristic, minimalist black clothing isn't too far a cry from a black wetsuit. NOT AT ALL, YER THINKING OF RAF SIMOMNS
        - some of rick's spring/summer looks come across as highbrow renditions of the norcal skater uniform: baggy dark shorts, simple neutral colored tshirts or tanks, and trainers. YEAH, NOT A NEW OBSERVATION AT ALL

On another note: would a california surfer (messy blonde hair, tan, muscular) wearing rick owens come across as incongruous? WHO CARES

edit: stupid question.... if iggy pop doesn't look good in rick owens, nobody does NOT A QUESTION

Comment

• jogu
          • Jun 2009

^ lol meanie

Comment

• trentk
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by trentk/kunk View Post

- futuristic, minimalist black clothing isn't too far a cry from a black wetsuit. NOT AT ALL, YER THINKING OF RAF SIMOMNS

On another note: would a california surfer (messy blonde hair, tan, muscular) wearing rick owens come across as incongruous? WHO CARES

edit: stupid question.... if iggy pop doesn't look good in rick owens, nobody does NOT A QUESTION
            1. about wetsuits: I'm not thinking of raf simons. Its not a far stretch to associate neoprene/leather jackets like this with wetsuits.

2. about surfers wearing rick owens: who cares? The same garments look radically different on different people, style isn't merely a question of clothing. You may say this still doesn't matter, b/c we can't change what we look like. Well kunk, those of us with hair can.
            "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• the closest reference i've seen Rick have to LA is the general grungy silhouette with long skirts and short leather jackets, and the relatively new attempt at making clogs (not a hit in my eyes)

As for the type of wardrobe or way of wearing ricks clothes, there are other types of people in LA other than surfers that would be seen wearing similiar clothes. Anyone BUT surfers really. Surfers wear that shit Charlie Sheen wears in 2 and a half men.... They would never squeeze into something fully covering and skinny fitting on a beach, wearing combats.... that just sounds stupid.

Comment

• ^^ and what about Iggy??? maybe he want wear rick but just can't (with all paki shops in Camden, you know)

Comment

• mrbeuys
                  • May 2008

Iggy doesn't wear clothes. What's the point.
                  And easy with the racist lingo Jin.
                  Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                    Iggy doesn't wear clothes. What's the point.
                    And easy with the racist lingo Jin.
                    it's just Iggy's quote) what's with your sense of humour?)

Comment

• SHYE_POSER
                      • Mar 2009

there are plenty of other quotes you could have used.
                      merz: your look has all the grace of george michael at the tail end of a coke binge.

Comment

• Ok. Pardon. I shouldn't have been so badly. Let's return to Rick.

Comment

• eat me
                          • May 2009

^ lol gtfo

Comment

• bowyark
                            • Jan 2011

Comment

• interest1
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by bowyark View Post

New Rick at LUISAVIAROMA
                              ⬆ Wrong thread, dear. This goes in the "Fall/ Winter 2011 - New Arrivals and Reviews" thread under Shopping and Personal Style category. This is the RO discussion / work retrospective thread.

You may want to move your post before it gets deleted.
                              sain't

Comment

• trentk
                                • Oct 2010

What does a guy wear on a date with a ss11 girl? Jeans and leather jackets are too casual. That leaves drop crotches and blazers. I can't quite articulate why, but something about the silhouette of rick's blazers doesn't mesh with his ss11 dresses. Something about the unduly short length, and the way they bunch at the waist. His more formal overcoats from the fw collections would fit.... but one can't exactly wear an overcoat in the summer. Nor can one wear an overcoat inside.

I think there's a gap in the rick owens universe, and I'm hoping this is adressed on the 22nd in paris.

I know rick reads decadent literature... maybe designing with Des esseintes, Robert de Montesquiou, and Stephen Tennant in mind would help adress the gap. Interpreting ss garments in the spirit of these fw offerings would work as well.

fw 12 look 11

Essentially, I'm looking for something that the ss 11 girl's svelte, rakish boyfriend would wear.
                                Last edited by lowrey; 06-19-2011, 04:20 AM. Reason: massive photo

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎