X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
    this is crazy... even if it's true for soccor fans in europe, it won'tbe for much longer. basketball and training are both emerging as global sports and no one spends mor money on r&d than Nike, their budget for R&D alone is probably greater than Reebok brings in yearly, Nike makes the best absolute best athletic shoes so as far as that goes it will just be a matter of time. I would say worldwide nike is probably still twice as big as adidas. And Adidas is always just following Nike's lead anyways, nike went light w/ the whole hyperfuse thing.. adidas follows w/ their crazy lite stuff which I tried and it sucked , put blisters on my feet, then the obvious flyknit and whatever adidas calls their version. I could if called upon list 2 to 3 obvious things from every nike invention to the adidas copy 6-12months after. Now that's what I call design.... Even the old school shit, nike was selling terminators and dunks for years before adidas finally wised up w/ the shell toes and everything else that came after. When it comes to athletics sorry to say Nike is Apple. If their "designs" are more respected u must be talking to kids who can't tell fila from puma or kids that can't actually buy what they want and settle for the stripes. I don't see people camping out for any adidas.. like they do for jordans, yeezys, Mcflys etc.. Im sure it's because the designs are far too respected to actual care to own.

I am not going to get into a back and forth about this, as you are mixing up several different things and missing the point I am trying to make.

Nike could be 100 times bigger or whatever it doesn't matter. i know they are, I know they pour a ton into R&D.

however as i said, from pure "design" and in terms of designer collabs and credibility with that, Adidas, and Puma pretty much owns that.

there is a reason why Yohji and Adidas has Y-3, which grew out of a single collection that was inspired by Adidas as a design company. there is a reason why People Like jeremy Scott , Stella Mcartney and the likes have Adidas collaborations.

I wouldn't even bother to get into the Puma ones........What does Nike have in this regard?
    Generally speaking, whether it is true or not, german/ European companies are more respected in terms of design than American ones..........and often perception is more powerful than reality
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• xzacx
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by zamb View Post

I wouldn't even bother to get into the Puma ones........What does Nike have in this regard?
      Generally speaking, whether it is true or not, german/ European companies are more respected in terms of design than American ones..........and often perception is more powerful than reality
      Wouldn't Nike's Jun Takahashi collections count as a recent example? Or going a little further back, their Marc Newson stuff?

Another thing to consider is Nike has far more designs that have been copied/re-interpreted. Whether or not they have more collaborations with respected designers, their original designs are far more highly regarded than any of their competitors.

I do think though that this is more interesting with adidas than with Nike.

Comment

• nictan
        • Jul 2009

on a side note, its ironic that i see complaints and flames regarding the adirick collab on some social media platforms when some of these individuals are the epitome of all this crap that's happening.

Comment

• Musashi
          • Dec 2008

I think the main root for all of this is how the word design has been used in several and not necessarily interchangeable contexts over the last couple of posts.

In terms of design (not "design" / designer), Nike has always maintained a stance that approached the problem from a different level than anyone else. An older reference like the ACG line can best attest to this.

In terms of "design" / designer though, Adidas & Puma – over the last couple of years – have really seen the collaboration as a position and edge that they can really pursue and not have the giant competitor in the room follow. (i.e. Y-3, Raf Simons, Jeremy Scott, Kzk, James Bond(???)/David Beckham, etc.)

That said, I think it's precisely that difference in approach that has people wishing that the collaboration was with the former. I don't know anymore what the hell adidas is. They lost me after the nth Katy Perry ad x Jeremy Scott x David Beckham x Lionel Messie x Asap Rocky ad.

Comment

• gndm
            • Jan 2012

i'm withholding actual judgment on this whole adidowens thing until product shots surface, et al.
            if anything it seems like something adidas would do as they seem to be floating on their designer collaborations; pity considering some of the interesting footwear gathering dust in their archives.

on the flipside i feel that nike's really pushed the envelope for the design of a product in and of itself. agreeing with musashi on the mention of ACG; approach to designing product separates them from any other sportswear magnate's "outdoor" lines.

i'm also of the opinion that nike is one of the (if not the most) heavily referenced brands that designers jump back to. rick did it himself with the earliest geobaskets etc etc with the semi swoosh and the permutations (from various places) continue precisely because the design language put into some of their stuff is really impressive/influential.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gndm View Post
              i'm withholding actual judgment on this whole adidowens thing until product shots surface, et al.
              if anything it seems like something adidas would do as they seem to be floating on their designer collaborations; pity considering some of the interesting footwear gathering dust in their archives.

on the flipside i feel that nike's really pushed the envelope for the design of a product in and of itself. agreeing with musashi on the mention of ACG; approach to designing product separates them from any other sportswear magnate's "outdoor" lines.

i'm also of the opinion that nike is one of the (if not the most) heavily referenced brands that designers jump back to. rick did it himself with the earliest geobaskets etc etc with the semi swoosh and the permutations (from various places) continue precisely because the design language put into some of their stuff is really impressive/influential.
              Trademark this.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Mung_city
                • Jul 2012

pretty ridiculous. it really dilutes his image, and shows the unencessity of such a price tag. this might have worked for yohji but i don't see it working for rick. Can't say i see a transition from street goth to athletics

Comment

• xeraphim
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Mung_city View Post
                  pretty ridiculous. it really dilutes his image, and shows the unencessity of such a price tag. this might have worked for yohji but i don't see it working for rick. Can't say i see a transition from street goth to athletics

Comment

• Musashi
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Mung_city View Post
                    pretty ridiculous. it really dilutes his image, and shows the unencessity of such a price tag. this might have worked for rick but i don't see it working for yohji. Can't say i see a transition from ??? to athletics
                    This statement would have been entirely valid backwards.

Comment

• Shucks
                      • Aug 2010

i know the new policy says to be nice to n00bs, but...

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Riky
                        A lot of articles by Rick Owens have a label with "made in Moldova". It's worst than "made in China"! Where the bloody hell is Moldova??
                        It's incredible spend 1600 euro for a leather jacket made in Moldova!! Who produced them are a thiefs!!
                        You can look on a map.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Resonkuken
                          • Oct 2012

Rick´s "goofy" (hiking) boots from this season are up on LVR, at least the black ones. They are a tad ridiculous, but badass at the same time. They´re in the 2k range as expected.

Comment

• surver
                            • Oct 2007

i think nike should do a collaboration with adidas

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Resonkuken View Post
                              Rick´s "goofy" (hiking) boots from this season are up on LVR, at least the black ones. They are a tad ridiculous, but badass at the same time. They´re in the 2k range as expected.
                              Converts to $2600 CAD
                              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Crowzer View Post
                                Will you buy it ?
                                I was very interested by, but the price is out of my range.
                                Nope. Maybe at 70% off.
                                i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎