Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crowzer
    • Feb 2011

They are really much better the original ones.

Comment

• kunk75
      Banned
      • May 2008

its great that they come with a built in shoe box

Comment

• messenoire
        • Nov 2009

the thing with rick shoes is without the sole they look like really basic orthopedic nurse shoes. if they come with a warning that basically says "dont actually use these as running shoes" then where is ricks initial point of "i made this shoe because i am running more as i get older" showing up? i mean i like the first iteration better because it is so jarring but still. the sole looks cool but if you subtract that you dont really have much. for ricks first footwear collab this seems like it's more for the people who are just getting into rick rather than his core clientele.

Comment

• kunk75
          Banned
          • May 2008

i think he meant "I made these because they are about the same price as aftermarket jordans and even hypebeasts aren't paying 1k for my dunks"

Comment

• Michael_Robartes
            • May 2013

Originally posted by messenoire View Post
            more for the people who are just getting into rick rather than his core clientele.
            adding to what Faust has said and a few others about hiphop vibe, surely it is completely intentional without doubt that its aimed at new comers, sought of easing the transition for people coming at it from a streetwear side of things? especially with this FW14. Some members on here who wear the dunks well, for example shuit, i can't really see them integrating into their current looks. although thats just a guess, and shuit is pretty talented and maybe will move towards it i don't know..

I really get a feeling that rick is trying to jump on a new wagon/wave of fashion that is growing.. thats kind of futuristic and baggy. i know it sounds stupid because clearly Rick leans toward futuristic already but more in his OWN kind of way, but with present season towards fw14+trainers it looks more like recent tumblr trends of brands like ADYN, sasu kauppi and the styling they've done with rick shoes..

there's a general consensus that rick innovates his own work and relays it better and different each season but i feel like this FW14 was a small jump onto a new boat..?

What do people who actually know what they're talking about think

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
              Not ripping on you, but I was sorely tempted to sig this
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mrbeuys
                • May 2008

Originally posted by Michael_Robartes View Post
                ...easing the transition for people coming at it from a streetwear side of things? especially with this FW14.
                Been biting my tongue and really wanted to understand your point of view, but this just comes across like your horizon of Rick's work stretches to about 2 seasons back... Streetwear has been an integral part of his menswear from the beginning. Vicious is super sporty, largely because of the pairing with the Adidas collab, and Moody is very reminiscent of Anthem or Creatch with some changed elements thrown in. There's no bandwagon he's jumping on, I think you will find it's the other way around.

there's a general consensus that rick innovates his own work and relays it better and different each season but i feel like this FW14 was a small jump onto a new boat..?
                OK, I don't know if I am part of that camp, but I can pretty much give you references for each element in Moody which relate back to earlier seasons, from the jumpsuits to the boots to the nun hats... it's all been there, just not like this. Even the strap vests are somewhat reminiscent of things he did in Creatch or Trucker - albeit not super successful in my opinion. The colours have all been there, I am struggling so see anything that's not already part of his universe.
                Please enlighten me as to what boat you are talking about and where it's heading.
                Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

...hiphop vibe, surely it is completely intentional without doubt that its aimed at new comers, sought of easing the transition for people coming at it from a streetwear side of things?

I really get a feeling that rick is trying to jump on a new wagon/wave of fashion that is growing.. thats kind of futuristic and baggy.
                  like mrbeuys pointed out, it sounds like you are looking at a very very narrow spectrum of his work. What goes for streetwear vibes, since the first men's collections, he has been doing oversized/tall t-shirts, baggy shorts, sneakers, sleeveless jerseys etc..

What goes for the general aesthetic, 5 years / 10 seasons ago vs this season

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• imblurredout
                    • Apr 2013

I really get a feeling that rick is trying to jump on a new wagon/wave of fashion that is growing.. thats kind of futuristic and baggy. i know it sounds stupid
                    Yes, that does sound stupid. Rick has always admitted to hitting people over the head with his aesthetic, it's never really going to change all that much, and it shouldn't. I don't see a direct street-style influence much at all. For once the last season was not numerous layers, it was simply stripped down and even a bit "dumb". Maybe because it was so stripped that it resembled street-style. I also don't think of his work as futuristic, and neither does Rick: "I’m trying to be sensible on what seems modern and appropriate for the period we’ve reached in history."

And in regards to...
                    Maybe do a little research before you throw out words like futuristic and baggy from your expansive vocabulary. There's no need to act pretentious, especially when you're simply wrong...

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                      Please enlighten me as to what boat you are talking about and where it's heading.
                      I think that's pretty obvious.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jogu
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                        There's no bandwagon he's jumping on, I think you will find it's the other way around.
                        exactlyyyy . in very recent yrs ive had strangers stop me , usually when im waitin for the bus , and compliment me on my clothes and actually recognize the stuff like "hey i like your rick owens" . outside a my circle of friends who are already into high fashion ive NEVER had random ppl recognize what designers clothes i was wearing . it makes me feel kinda awkward becos sometimes ill get the questions of "where can i get that" and infrequently , "so how much was it?"
                        these people are never dressed similarly to me but they must follow fashion on some level . it makes me wonder how popular ricks stuff is becoming to a mainstream audience cos i still dont really see anyone here wearing it (aside from certain acquaintances ) yet somehow others are familiar enough with it to recognize it on the street

Comment

• t3hg0suazn
                          • Jan 2013

Has Rick ever talked about how he feels about his stuff becoming more mainstream? I know he likes to be loud and unforgiving with his aesthetic, but what would be his reaction if half the randos on the street recognize his clothes and say 'oh yea, that's the Rick Owens look'?

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                            • Nov 2007

to further dispel the myths and misunderstandings i have it on good authority that the current collection was chiefly inspired by tom of finland and certain strains of fetishism
                            LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• josecc
                              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by t3hg0suazn View Post
                              Has Rick ever talked about how he feels about his stuff ....
                              Randos? wtf does that mean

Rick after the last women show: "This was also an exercise in working with a lot of body types to really think in broader terms. How do I make it as accessible to everybody instead of making it an exclusive fashion world, make it as inclusive as I possibly can."
                              Last edited by josecc; 01-26-2014, 11:08 PM.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                                to further dispel the myths and misunderstandings i have it on good authority that the current collection was chiefly inspired by tom of finland and certain strains of fetishism
                                So do I.

Still, I think it's a good idea for shows to have room for different interpretations.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎