X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patroklus
    Banned
    • Feb 2011

i'd say that of the other swimsuits on offer but this one is really effective, at concealing but creating allure. it's just poorly styled.

i'm def copping i just havent decided if tucked or untucked is more in line with owensian ideals

Comment

• interest1
      • Nov 2008

One issue with that swimsuit is that it's too much swimsuit, Rick or not. I've worn less fabric to cocktail parties, for Christ's sake. Too much material around the hip can make even a
      20-year old look matronly.

Perhaps I'm not interested because I've never been a fan of the one-piece, but more so because I think a line of RO swimwear is… unnecessary? It's not a styling issue, it's a failure to translate into swimwear what he does so beautifully with clothing issue. Maybe because that translation is too exact; too familiar. I can't be the only one looking at this and seeing one of his 'nun' collection dresses but with the bottom half lopped off. If this is looking lazy to me, I must own too much Rick.

So thanks, but no thanks, Mr Owens. My ho-hum, no-name two-piece black bikini hasn't let
      me down yet.
      sain't

Comment

• interest1
        • Nov 2008

And Patroklus – untucked. Never underestimate the power of a memorable entrance.
        sain't

Comment

• Shucks
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
          One issue with that swimsuit is that it's too much swimsuit, Rick or not. I've worn less fabric to cocktail parties, for Christ's sake. Too much material around the hip can make even a
          let's not forget that a significant portion of his customer base are exactly that - wealthy matrons. for them, covering up may be an attractive proposal. in fact, this piece makes much more sense for rick owens than would a little bikini, imo. at least until he does one and then i'll probably laud that too.
          Last edited by Shucks; 02-06-2014, 03:35 AM. Reason: how embarrassing...

Comment

• interest1
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Shucks View Post

let's not forget that a significant portion of his customer [base] are exactly that - wealthy matrons. for them, covering up may be an attractive proposal..
            à la Mama Lamy? (rhetorical; don't answer)

in fact, this piece makes much more sense for rick owens than would a little bikini, imo. at least until he does one and then i'll probably laud that too
            I think your zeal to defend our favorite designer has you missing my point, which is that, in the scope of the intoxicating universe Rick Owens has created, his foray into swimwear kinda sinks more than it swims. Just my opinion, of course. Why argue with an opinion, right? ;)

p.s. not everything the man designs needs to be lauded. Just look at your new tennis shoes.
            sain't

Comment

• Shucks
              • Aug 2010

p.s. not everything the man designs needs to be lauded. Just look at your new tennis shoes.

what do u mean? of course it does...

ps. have to try tennis in them. good idea.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                • May 2008

Not everything...
                Sometimes I just don't know what to say...

Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• unwashed
                  • Dec 2008

Reminds me of Geta, japanses clogs/shoes.
                  Grailed link

Comment

• DudleyGray
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                    Considering this girl is probably really attractive that's not a very flattering garment.
                    My last comment was (understandably) deleted. Sorry, I've been on edge lately, the delivery wasn't ideal.

But I do want to question this comment. A video interview was just posted where Rick commenting on his rejection of sexuality. Most of his gender-bending clothing often is not considered "flattering" for either sex, not in any sort of anatomical sense anyways. So many of the clothes in WAYWT are definitely worn because they're interesting instead of sexually appealing. So something about this just rubbed me the wrong way, like I wouldn't expect to see that as a critique in a RO thread on SZ.

As for the swimsuit, I'm curious to see what it looks like from the back and in motion or in typical 'swimsuit' poses. The white girl picture is definitely modeling it in the most awkward way possible, the black girl picture gives a little better idea. The neck looks like it could do cool things when wet. "Has potential," I suppose.
                    bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• mrbeuys
                      • May 2008

Don't confuse flattering with sexy. I find his women's jumpsuits extremely flattering, but wouldn't call them sexy.
                      Likewise, FW12 was flattering without being sexy at all. Same comment from Rick on that collection as well btw.
                      Then you have SS10, which many would consider sexy, but which I didn't think of as very flattering.

It's not all about sex, mate.
                      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                        • Jul 2013

Fair enough. I blame your sexy avatar for the connotation error.
                        bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• kunk75
                          Banned
                          • May 2008

the last 3 collections have me hunting for pieces from stag, strutter and crust like a madman

Comment

• lost53
                            • Dec 2010

the last few collections have kept me poor!

Comment

• Patroklus
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2011

have you seen what the kids are wearing these days?

Rick is fortunate enough that the swimsuit that works very well for his older clientele is very chic in the eyes of his younger clientele.

Maybe because that translation is too exact; too familiar. I can't be the only one looking at this and seeing one of his 'nun' collection dresses but with the bottom half lopped off. If this is looking lazy to me, I must own too much Rick.
                              This is exactly how fashion design works. It's how Rick has always done this, and if you go back to Strutter you can see him doing the same thing to make a range of jumpsuits and dresses from a small handful of blocks.

Not everything...
                              Sometimes I just don't know what to say...
                              I love those. I think I might like them even more than the Plinth boots.

Don't confuse flattering with sexy. I find his women's jumpsuits extremely flattering, but wouldn't call them sexy.
                              Likewise, FW12 was flattering without being sexy at all. Same comment from Rick on that collection as well btw.
                              Then you have SS10, which many would consider sexy, but which I didn't think of as very flattering.

It's not all about sex, mate.
                              You're talking about the loin clothes? They weren't supposed to be sexy.

"I’ve created caricatures. I want there to be a suggestion of discipline, rigor, discretion, modesty, and so I’ve created a caricature just to exaggerate an idea. It’s not about status or sex, but something more healthful than titillating. I’ve been doing lots of loincloths recently. I started a couple seasons ago because I hate mini-skirts, but I like showing a lot of leg. It looks active and free. The coy affectations that come with wearing mini-skirts—crossing your legs, hiking down the skirt when it rides up, sitting in a weird way suddenly makes everything about the vagina. It seems silly to me. Having said that, crotchemphasis done well, like with a pair of well-cut jeans, can be very appealing. It’s the coyness that bothers me, not the sexuality. I wanted my loincloths to express modesty, not vulnerability. Here, modesty still addresses the genitals, but it’s not provocative. It’s sensual but modest. It also has that bum-flap connotation from punk rock, which is always appealing. Having something swinging between your legs is appealing, like Scottish sporrans. I almost never use artwork for references, but there is this Degas painting of the young Spartans that shows beautiful, healthy, naked athletes. This very athletic kind of nudity is so great."

Comment

• mrbeuys
                                • May 2008

They may not have been supposed to be sexy, but his "I like showing a lot of leg. It looks active and free" is another man's wet dream. Like I said, not mine - I really didn't like those.

And LOL at "Having something swinging between your legs is appealing."

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎